[Tech] 7 String Pickup Comparison

• Thread starter Ryan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
Ok, so it's a very common question around here: "What pickup should i buy?" or "What does this pickup sound like?"

I took the liberty to help out a little.

I made these clips by copy/pasting the same drum track over and over again in my multitracker. Then, I simply changed guitars in between without messing with the recording settings. This way, you can hear the differences between the guitar PUs.

All of these guitars are Ibanez 7s (basswood), so they should be too far off from eachother. In the process i used a RG7421XL, RG7620, UV777PBK, RG7620, and a S7420FMTW (yah, i know, it's mahogany). To my surprise, i actually could hear a great deal of difference between the clips.

Check em out:

xlob9.jpg

RG7421XL w/ Blaze 7
[MEDIA]http://www.sunino.us/Blaze 7 Clip.mp3[/MEDIA]

xmasjn0.jpg

RG7620XMAS w/ Blaze Custom :)lol: Leon)
[MEDIA]http://www.sunino.us/Blaze Custom 7 Clip.mp3[/MEDIA]

uvhw1.jpg

UV777PBK w/ Evo 7
[MEDIA]http://www.sunino.us/Evo 7 Clip.mp3[/MEDIA]

x2nrk5.jpg

RG7620BK w/ X2N7
[MEDIA]http://www.sunino.us/X2N 7 Clip.mp3[/MEDIA]

s7gm8.jpg

S7420FMTW w/ Stock Ibby 7
[MEDIA]http://www.sunino.us/Stock 7s Clip.mp3[/MEDIA]

I also learned my UV plays about 10x smoother than most of my other guitars.
[plug]The drumtrack is a clip from one of my Abominodium songs. [/plug]

ibzrg1570

Reaction score
AARGH!!! Damn my cheap computer speakers!:mad: Can't hear the differences between the clips. Also, I'm assuming these are all in the bridge position, right?

Oh well, this is a good resource. I'll get my headphones and relisten to them again sometime.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan

Reaction score
:lol: i can hear the difference between the first 2 in the bathroom with the door shut..

D-EJ915

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Cool clips! The way it sounded like, the Blaze custom and X2N sounded like "huge" versions of the Blaze and Evo respectively.

johnw

Reaction score
That was really cool. I liked the Blaze 7. That post deserves some rep.

plasticface

Reaction score
thanks a ton:bowdown:
coincidentally, i was about to ask which pickup should i pickup for my RG7321. how much of a difference will it create sound wise, since you have a better arsenal of guitars
this clears it all. i have no idea about how to thank a post:scratch:
but thanks again:)

Stretchnutz

The Destroyer
Reaction score
Dude! Do you realize how much you helped me(let alone many others) this is a great post, speically for someone new to 7s as i am! One question though, what are you tuned to?
Thanks again

Stretchy:hbang:
:bowdown:

Ryan

Reaction score
I like the Evo 7 too. You can hear picking dynamics a little better than the others too.

Stitch

Banned
Reaction score
Hurrah for Ryan!

Thanks for looking after my S7420 so well! :lol: [/joke]

Should be a great help to everyone that asks which to get - now we can just say "check this link, or buy a Bareknuckle. :lol:"

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Good work Ryan! I really like the sound of the X2N7, and the clip of the RG7421XL with the Blaze is really making me wish I hadn't sold mine, it really is a killer combo.

Ryan

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Glad to help out :yesway:

@ James - Yah the X2N7 has a fat assed rythym sound. It really should be in the XL though cause it needs the definition. lol

@ Simon - lol you wish! *caresses the S7*

@ Stretchnutz - Im in A standard for all of my Abominodium songs. ;D Glad to help man :D

Stretchnutz

The Destroyer
Reaction score
Although you made it a bit harder for me.
I'll ask you personaly, which do you perfer the Evo 7 or the X2N7?
It's gunna be going into a RG7231 and my playing style is very similer to yours.

Ryan

Reaction score
Depends on the music youre gonna be making with it. I like the Evo 7 for my faster more articulate riffage and the X2N7 for beefed out slower powerchord riffage. One must have different tools for different jobs ya know? ;D (half the reason why i have so many different dimarzios too hehe)

Stretchnutz

The Destroyer
Reaction score
One must have different tools for different jobs ya know? ;D (half the reason why i have so many different dimarzios too hehe)

I can see that.I read somewhere that this site gives you lots of GAS, and it is soooo true. I now have a million dollar list(not really but you get that point)
lol......i think Im gunna bite the bullet and get the Evo 7 put in...

Latest posts