Tell me about EVM12L speakers

• Thread starter Bearitone
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Why are they so expensive?
Are the reissues worth buying?
What about the zakk wylde 300w version?

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wedge_destroyer

Reaction score
Why is it pricey? Well large cast frame and magnet, US made, from a classic name in microphones and PA. As such it's derived from PA drivers and are overbuilt for purpose and all of that reflects in cost.

Reissues or original, they are solid and stout with a good cone in them. Full, deep and clear almost hi-fi, if you are a fan of speaker breakup, they might not be for you. They have a voice of their own but if you are used to celestions they will be noticeably flatter in the mids but clear up top almost bright. In the right cab they slay in so many ways. They will pummel you on chugs and not color your cleans.

Not ever really messed with the Zakk ones.

benvigil

Reaction score
A lot of people say the Celestion Redback is kind of a cross between a Creamback & EVM 12L.

But to the point, yes they're worth it. If not, you can try out the WGS version, surprisingly called the WGS12L.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
I played through one once. The bottom end was massive. A very clear, and articulate speaker. Not sure which variation it was.

Why is it pricey? Well large cast frame and magnet, US made, from a classic name in microphones and PA. As such it's derived from PA drivers and are overbuilt for purpose and all of that reflects in cost.

Reissues or original, they are solid and stout with a good cone in them. Full, deep and clear almost hi-fi, if you are a fan of speaker breakup, they might not be for you. They have a voice of their own but if you are used to celestions they will be noticeably flatter in the mids but clear up top almost bright. In the right cab they slay in so many ways. They will pummel you on chugs and not color your cleans.

Not ever really messed with the Zakk ones.

Exactly what they said. No more to say. They nailed it. I use the Ev Force guitar speakers, not the PA ones, and they are similar, Only difference is they are 150w each, and instead of 60-5k they are around 55-7k. I've tried orginal 12L's and you can get the same result out of either realistically.

Bearitone

Reaction score
Would it be crazy to try one of these in place of the subwoofer in my Theta Combo as well?

I ask because I’m reading they make for good bass guitar speakers too

Last edited:

wedge_destroyer

Reaction score
Would it be crazy to try one of these in place of the subwoofer in my Theta Combo as well?

They do solid for bass from what I've heard but you may want to look into a it's PA cousin. A Dl12 it will hold up to more sub usage for sure as they are used in monitor wedges. I used the DL15 for bass and guitar actually.

Bearitone

Reaction score
They do solid for bass from what I've heard but you may want to look into a it's PA cousin. A Dl12 it will hold up to more sub usage for sure as they are used in monitor wedges. I used the DL15 for bass and guitar actually.

Right on. I’ll save for that puppy next. Thanks!

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
They're basically just a PA speaker and take what your amp sounds like and makes it way louder without coloring the tone at all. They also have amazing bass response. They're also incredibly loud and heavy. My main rig that I gig with is a 4x12 with EVM12Ls and a Matamp. My cab weighs about 120 pounds but it's worth it. If I crank the bass on my amp I can put out more bass than my bassists cab. If I crank the volume on my amp the other guitarist and bassist get buried if it goes over half. They're my favorite speaker.

They're also pretty decent bass speakers if you don't downtune a lot. Steve Harris and Geezer Butler use them.

Edit: I've never use the Zakk Wylde one but I'd imagine it's just as rad as the normal one.

Last edited:

youngthrasher9

Ur Mom Is Too Much Gain
Reaction score
Eminence makes a clone, as well. It’s not that much less expensive from what i remember, though. Being eminence and all.

I expected to share info on the speaker but everyone here nailed it.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score

They do work well for bass/ low end even though the specs aren't that low. I use to use a pair of ISP powered subs (Vector SL's) with a 4x12 on top of each. Switching to the Ev Forces in my 4x12's later on from v30's I realized what they were capable of. Inspired I tried them out in my old G-Flex ported 2x12 and they rocked. I later then built four 2x12 cab's and ditched the powered subs and 4x12's. They absolutely respond faster and lower and better than the ISP's did and way better than even a 4x12 ported cab. It makes no sense on paper, but it's true. Maybe the cab has a lot to do with it, I don't know. I downsized my rig and freed up money at the same time by doing this, plus I got my rig's sub-low end responding to my tube power amp instead of it being powered by the ISP solid state power amp, it's also more portable and reliable too. I had those Vector SL's power amp crap out on me 4 times and had to send the power amp back for a replacement. This was when they were first being developed and in the beta phase (probably around 2003 or 4?). I'm guessing they've resolved the issues (faulty heat sink issues) by now. The cabs I built are based on Earcandy Buzzbombs with slightly different/ larger dimensions by a few inches. You can see a pict of them in the post random picts of your rig thread on pg.199. They are Forces not 12L's, but the 12L's are basically the same but higher (double) wattage and slighty different high end response (5k instead of 7k). The Forces also are available in a 15" too, which someday I will make two 1x15 cab's also with those in them for a smaller powerful stereo rig.

maggotspawn

Reaction score
I have an Eminence Delta 12A, that's supposed to sou d similar to the EV.
It's 400 watts, I have it in a Mesa 1x12 and it sounds killer. They louder you play, the better it sounds.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I use the Eminence Legend EM12 in a ported 112 cab. I don’t like other cabs much anymore. Too... Scratchy in the upper mids and not as articulate.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I used to have them in a Genz Benz 212 cab. They are really heavy. I imagine a 4x12 would weigh around a 100lbs. What people say here is accurate. It sounds hi-fi. But not flat. It does have extended highs that makes it sound crisp when loud.

I'm close to experimenting on the Eminence copies specially the neo magnet ones since they are much much lighter. I just cant find one with the correct ohms as my cab.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Eminence has a few clones, or at least one clone and a few speakers that are similar.

The Delta Pro 12a I think is similar (cast frame, big magnet) but supposedly a bit darker I think?

The Delta 12a (non ‘pro’) which has a normal stamped steel frame. Apparently these do sound different from the Pro model. Both of these are PA speakers.

Then the EM12 which, from the datasheet, I believe was designed to be an EVM clone for guitar purposes. There’s some reviews on thegearpage but they’re probably not playing the same music as us.

The EVM12L is probably not ideal for bass guitar as the Xmax is not that high compared to modern bass and PA speakers, but for use in a guitar sub it’s probably fine, since a guitar won’t be putting out those huge fundamentals like a bass would.

I’m really tempted to try some linear speakers at some point but goddamn it’s an expensive experiment!

Bearitone

Reaction score
They do work well for bass/ low end even though the specs aren't that low. I use to use a pair of ISP powered subs (Vector SL's) with a 4x12 on top of each. Switching to the Ev Forces in my 4x12's later on from v30's I realized what they were capable of. Inspired I tried them out in my old G-Flex ported 2x12 and they rocked. I later then built four 2x12 cab's and ditched the powered subs and 4x12's. They absolutely respond faster and lower and better than the ISP's did and way better than even a 4x12 ported cab. It makes no sense on paper, but it's true. Maybe the cab has a lot to do with it, I don't know. I downsized my rig and freed up money at the same time by doing this, plus I got my rig's sub-low end responding to my tube power amp instead of it being powered by the ISP solid state power amp, it's also more portable and reliable too. I had those Vector SL's power amp crap out on me 4 times and had to send the power amp back for a replacement. This was when they were first being developed and in the beta phase (probably around 2003 or 4?). I'm guessing they've resolved the issues (faulty heat sink issues) by now. The cabs I built are based on Earcandy Buzzbombs with slightly different/ larger dimensions by a few inches. You can see a pict of them in the post random picts of your rig thread on pg.199. They are Forces not 12L's, but the 12L's are basically the same but higher (double) wattage and slighty different high end response (5k instead of 7k). The Forces also are available in a 15" too, which someday I will make two 1x15 cab's also with those in them for a smaller powerful stereo rig.

Where can i find plans for those buzzbomb 212 cabs? You’re saying you enjoy the Force’s in that 212 more than the Vector cab with a crossover and dedicated sub?

wakjob

Reaction score
Why are they so expensive?
Are the reissues worth buying?
What about the zakk wylde 300w version?

Look into the Eminence Delta Pro 12A or it's Neo magnet version if weight is an issue.

I think I read that years ago when EV had a really bad fire at their factory, Eminence was making their speakers to fill current orders. The Delta Pro 12A was what Emi. carried on with after EV got back up an running again.

Urban myth? ... maybe IDK.

I have the Delta Pro 12A in a thiele and it's great.

The one caveat is that these types of "clean speakers" are just that...cleaner. If you are used to Greenbacks or V30's it will sound like someone turned your gain control down a notch or two...weird but true from my experience.