Tell me about rated frequency response vs actual Hz

• Thread starter ra1der2
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
People... I'm going to get neg repped for this I am sure but... I need to allow people to hear somethings...

A GUITAR is NOT a bass freq. instrument. There is NO reason for this instrument to even be considered for the 50 or so hz mentioned here. Even at the F whatever tuning... It doesn't matter. The guitar is a mid range instrument! That's where it's DOMINANT freq. Not strong ones or fundamental... If you are wanting to manipulate that area of air movement... Play a bass.

I mostly agree with you, but not entirely. F whatever does sound pretty inarticulate to my ears on a guitar, but with advances in pickups and multiscale as well as new string technologies, I think that we are getting to a point where we can push it. Every instrument does have a dominant frequency range, but that range is meant to be messed with. I'm sure if they would have thought that extended range was not important, pianos would have one octave and guitars would have four courses of strings, but these days, every instrument has an extended range.

Another way to look at it is, almost any audio tech (studio or not) will high pass a guitar up to 80 or even as much as 120hz... So, there is NO reason to have an extended range of this instrument this far. It just makes for mud and jumbled shit that destroys mixes...

It can destroy the mix. I wouldn't say "no" reason. This is new territory still. Let's see what people can do with it. Sure, there are acoustic reasons to rethink these things, and it makes for good discussion. I've heard a few mixes destroyed by low F# fartiness, but there are also some cool things out there. ;)

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
I agree with you both for different reasons... In standard stereo mixes this is a real problem. But again, this IS still new territory. The seven string hasn't even been in standard production for 20 years yet. The 8 less than 5 years as a standard model. VERY new territory. The Tick Tack Bass (baritone) has been around and popular in country music for a long time. But again, not high gain usage. We're pioneering new sounds now and new territory... And with 5.1 recordings... Who's to say there won't be 5.1 live shows in the future?

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
To reiterate my point with the amp... Processing the signals through different tubes will clean things up significantly, especially with one set that likes to compress and distort a lot on the highs and mids and another that is really 'hard' with a lot of headroom on the lows. And I was thinking of the 12's not the fifteens. More punch and need less power. The goal is to run in stereo, so I'll put a Vector SL on my Budda SuperDrive. With using a setup like that I don't see us needing bass guitars at all. I can handle the high mids and lows and Russ, you can take the low mids you like to have. We'll sound huge.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Most baritones in country music are tuned to A or to B. I don't know of any Nashville recordings using a Tic Tac/Bass VI tuned E and used in a baritone sense...but then again, there's no reason why not if the song calls for it.

You guys may be pushing toward Charlie Hunter territory with this split signal thing- in that case, it has been done, but not high gain.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
i did it with a Hartke bass amp, but it never got used, so i had to sell it:
Hartke - VX2510

it´s a great bass amp, and since it´s full range with the horn speaker, you can use it by itself for guitar modelers too i guess. looking at it now, i SO FUCKING WANT IT BACK :lol:

i don´t play anything live at the moment though, so it´s not like i´d need it... :(

ra1der2

Reaction score
I should have also mentioned my focus is on studio work. I have been using an x3 live, and also either a marshall or soldano head w/marshall 4x12 cab

So each take I get 3 separate tracks, the x3, a dry, and the amp/cab I choose.

I wonder if the x3 live modeling has any effect on frequency levels / response, technically it's not going through an actual amp or speakers, but is it possible that the models are limited to a certain range of frequencies?

After reading all the input I am tempted to lug my bass rig in there and just see what happens. I have a Crate BT350 w/2x15 cab that would probably sound pretty wicked in the mix. :)

As far as live sound goes, has anyone ever used a vetta or vetta ii combo with a 2x15 expansion cab?

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
Russ(CynicEidolon) and I are in a band together. I have an X3 pro and use it only, and I mean ONLY, for scratch tracks when recording. The only other usage it gets is as a multi FX unit and EQ live. I do no, I repeat, do not use any amp modeling whatsoever when playing live or on final recorded tracks. It NEVER sounds right. No interplay between mic, speaker and guitar. It's not organic at all, and the end result is thin, lifeless sound.

ra1der2

Reaction score
I have no complaints with line 6 and I like the dual tones I have setup in the x3 live. I also like using the x3 take as the "high end" of a mix, take out the mids, and then mix it with the matching take from the soldano or marshall.

I guess to each his own there.

Does anything you two are saying relate to frequency response though? I mean opinions on what range a guitar "should fall in" and opinions on line 6 tones aren't relative to frequency response.

G_3_3_k_

Probably diddling an Oni
Reaction score
It actually does... Line 6 modelers add a lot of fizz on the top end that is almost impossible to dial out in a recording... If you had the time and the space to take three guitar tracks and reamp them into three different heads that have a different tonal curve, you'd get better results. We've done it before with a JVM, Budda Superdrive, Mesa Mark IV and a JCM2000. Them mix sounded monstrous... Sadly our buddy who was doing that recording liked the 'sizzle' his Pod had on the top end and ended up scrapping most of the tracks from the heads. My personal opinion was that finding the right balance of which heads would work for each side would have been ideal, but he likes a really trebbly sound.

CynicEidolon

And still he waits..
Reaction score
And out of all of those... EVERY track was high passed because of the low mud from the proximity effect of a mic.

ra1der2

Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone has already done the homework on what 10", 12", and/or 15" speakers are capable of 25 Hz - 5k frequency response? :)