The 8 String Project

• Thread starter dpm
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's what I've got so far. The shape still needs some work, should be ready later this week.
The pickup is being made by Bareknuckle Pickups.
Scale length 25.2" - 27.165"
I'm looking into some interesting woods.

The bridge isn't modelled yet. This just has the approximate saddle locations.

8previewcopy.jpg

Does anyone have any serious interest in buying one of these?
I'm contemplating starting it up as a business and making a small batch of 3 or 4 and seeing how things go. It's a big expenditure to do that so I'll have to have presold a couple.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
As for woods, check into walnut - pretty, and very balanced. Should be bright enough for an 8-string too.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, walnut is nice. Thinking about padouk for the necks, it's stable and feels great.

Here's what I make at my day job, excuse the pic quality.

054820004.jpg

1CS7heel_1.jpg

0D7SJ6Frontish.jpg

Digital Black

Reaction score
I like the headstock. I do not like the body shape at all.
IMO woods like basswood or mahogany would be better for the average spender. Plus it's easier to coax sounds from. Considering there aren't many coices for a 8 string pickup..
Jus my 2 cents..

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
The body is changing to be a little less round on the ass end, and the lower horn will be extended a bit. It should reflect that headstock theme a little more, hopefully.
Anything in particular that doesn't do it for you? Or just a general dislike?

I prefer the tone of denser woods like maple, walnut and padouk.
They really tighten up the low end. The notes hit like a baseball bat.
However, I'd like to make some with a more traditional tone too.
My own personal instrument will be a no compromise reflection of what I want it to do. But for others, there are variables of course :shred:

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
What kinda price we talking? I'd be seriously interested if it isn't astronomical.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure yet on price. It won't be in Conklin collectible territory :rolleyes: . I'm prepared to sell the first ones for well under what they're worth to start the ball rolling.

I have to fininsh modelling things and get costings for machining, then I can give a price. What are people willing to pay?!?

Digital Black

Reaction score
dpmasunder said:
The body is changing to be a little less round on the ass end, and the lower horn will be extended a bit. It should reflect that headstock theme a little more, hopefully.
Anything in particular that doesn't do it for you? Or just a general dislike?

I prefer the tone of denser woods like maple, walnut and padouk.
They really tighten up the low end. The notes hit like a baseball bat.
However, I'd like to make some with a more traditional tone too.
My own personal instrument will be a no compromise reflection of what I want it to do. But for others, there are variables of course :shred:
Me.., I'd squash the body some and extend the lower horn some. I'd give a nice point to that top horn-more traditional I guess. Either that or go more organic..

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
dpmasunder said:
Here's what I've got so far. The shape still needs some work, should be ready later this week.
The pickup is being made by Bareknuckle Pickups.
Scale length 25.2" - 27.165"
I'm looking into some interesting woods.

The bridge isn't modelled yet. This just has the approximate saddle locations.

8previewcopy.jpg

Does anyone have any serious interest in buying one of these?
I'm contemplating starting it up as a business and making a small batch of 3 or 4 and seeing how things go. It's a big expenditure to do that so I'll have to have presold a couple.

That looks insane. If it works out, id' be interested.

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
Not to sound like cheap, but depending on the price will show my interest. Other than that, I would LOVE, LOVE to have one of those. First off, it's an f'n 8 string. Secondly, it looks very neat and will be a great addition to experiment with. But, I personally like having two pickups. a bridge humbucker and a possible single coil neck? Something that will give it more versatility and less of a 'one purpose' instrument. just my two cents, but very interesting.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I like it, but I'd really like to see an 8 (other than the unobtainable Meshuggah guitars) with a normal looking, RG-style (or thereabouts) body.

That's looking to be a nice guitar, but personally I don't like the body style at all. I'm yet to see one (including the LGM's) that isn't overdone and wild looking.

Just my .2c.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I might be interested, once again depending on price - after I get a new recording setup I'll be f'in broke for a while :lol:

I've always thought that, if you took the bottom of a RG-shaped guitar, and sorta stretched it towards the lower left corner of the box you drew that in, not only would it balance better, but it'd look pretty cool. I'll try to sketch something out at work today.

-D

keithb

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Chris said:
I like it, but I'd really like to see an 8 (other than the unobtainable Meshuggah guitars) with a normal looking, RG-style (or thereabouts) body.

That's looking to be a nice guitar, but personally I don't like the body style at all. I'm yet to see one (including the LGM's) that isn't overdone and wild looking.

Just my .2c.

Check out "Shannon Sharp's 8 String" at ekgguitars.com. I'd also like to see something like an 8-string RG, maybe with 27" scale.

Hrm, maybe I should ask EKG what that'd cost me :D

7StringofAblicK

Contributor
Reaction score
If you go on JEMSITE and go to 'Other 7 string guitars' Forum, there is a forum called 8 string Ibanez. It has a picture of Meshuggah's guitarist and his custom Ibanez RG-8 string. it is freaking BAD ASS looking. It has one pickup and the headstock is like their iceman style headstocks with 4/4. I would love to have one of those. I'm too lazy to post a link in here, just check it out when you get a chance.

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Been playing around with it. The top one is the new version. Only had time for a quick tweak last night.

printybothcopy.jpg

As much as I like RG guitars, there's absolutely no way I'd make an RG shape, just as there's no way I'd do a Strat, Tele, Les Paul or SG. As far as I'm concerned Ibanez make RG's, Fender make Strats etc...

That said EKG do RG shapes, Blackmachine do too, and LGM's Leviathan is similar whilst being original.

As for a neck pickup, I'm thinking about it, the problem is cost. These custom Bareknuckles aren't gonna be cheap. EMG is always an option. I can do whatever anyone wants with the pickups and electronics, as long as they don't mind paying for them :cool:

Also, regarding the body shape, keep in mind that the bridge outline isn't there, the pickup is very compact with no mounting ring and it has just one knob, which can screw with one's perception of proportion. I'll throw a bit more clutter on shortly.