The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sensates

Reaction score
I don't think I can answer this is a helpful way, other their on-paper differences, due to the differences between my two specific examples.
The Aries is swamp ash and somewhere just over 6 1/2 lbs, but the A2 is black limba, and over 8lbs. My brain has a bit of a hard time "equalizing" other aspects since that weight makes them feel very very different.

In addition, my A2 has a trem, and it's my first trem-equipped guitar in years after swearing them off completely.

In the most basic terms, my belly/moobs prefer the deeper "belly cut" on the A2. I think with a top or burst finish, the A2 looks so much better because it's a bit more symmetrical. If you like rear jacks, the A2 has one.

The Aries's forearm contour is more comfortable. The bolt-on Aries is available in a 22-fret version and a bevel-delete version while the A2 isn't. The Aries also has a metal jack plate which is easier to service than the A2's body edge barrel-style, and the Aries's plate is more durable to blind poking with a pointy cable plug so I'd expect fewer scratches in the finish around the jack of the Aries compared to the A2.

Now that the neck heels and pockets are equalized, my overall preference (I think) for the A2 is narrowed, even though I end up playing my Aries more because it's lighter and has the fixed bridge, so the Aries just gets more play time when there're spontaneous tuning changes on my mind.
Do you find both balances well? A2 in particular?
I'm always a fan of how offsets look but I often struggle to balance them(Jazzmasters).

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't think I've seen many opinions on Kiesel's Hipshot-made multiscale tremolos. I've been thinking a lot about multiscale trems recently, and I like that Kiesel seem to be one of the very few (to my knowledge) manufactures that have gone with offset posts (as opposed to having parallel pivot points like, say, a strandberg).

However, I guess that design comes with its own set of tradeoffs, like the strings moving sideways when diving and pulling (since the pivot line is now not perpendicular to the strings) and spring tension being different across the different strings (assuming that the trem block is also seated diagonally, the trem claw is perpendicular to the strings, and the springs are all the same size and strength).

Question is... do those "problems" actually manifest in practice in a noticeable way, or are they just theoretical anomalies that have no real bearing on the real world?

Bonus points if any Kiesel multiscale trem owners can post a picture of the spring cavity. I can't seem to find a picture of that online. Thanks! :)

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I don't think I've seen many opinions on Kiesel's Hipshot-made multiscale tremolos. I've been thinking a lot about multiscale trems recently, and I like that Kiesel seem to be one of the very few (to my knowledge) manufactures that have gone with offset posts (as opposed to having parallel pivot points like, say, a strandberg).

However, I guess that design comes with its own set of tradeoffs, like the strings moving sideways when diving and pulling (since the pivot line is now not perpendicular to the strings) and spring tension being different across the different strings (assuming that the trem block is also seated diagonally, the trem claw is perpendicular to the strings, and the springs are all the same size and strength).

Question is... do those "problems" actually manifest in practice in a noticeable way, or are they just theoretical anomalies that have no real bearing on the real world?

Bonus points if any Kiesel multiscale trem owners can post a picture of the spring cavity. I can't seem to find a picture of that online. Thanks! :)
The back likely looks pretty identical to the standard one.

In case you haven't stumbled across this here's the front route:

Video:

Screenshot:
20240302_140217.jpg

Moongrum

Reaction score
Also, I like the camo. I know others have said it's a bad example of camo, but I really like how it looks in satin😅

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hate to say it, but it sorta feels like a step down from his ESPs...

Did ESP drop him, or does he just have 2 separate endorsements now?

JDB123

Newb Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Like Devin Townsend and Framus, they still have their other endorsements, but Kiesel for headless.
Interesting dichotomy there. So since they’ve both got headless Kiesel models, Framus and ESP don’t have a market share to protect in that realm and don’t ask for exclusivity?

spudmunkey

Reaction score
Interesting dichotomy there. So since they’ve both got headless Kiesel models, Framus and ESP don’t have a market share to protect in that realm and don’t ask for exclusivity?
Basically, yes. I guess it's a bit like how Frank Gambale is a Kiesel artist for electric guitars, and Cort for acoustic.

musicman61554

Reaction score
Did anyone get in on the Rainbow Sparkle run in this forum? I ordered Nov 3rd and was told Feb 15th as a completion date. I know they only spray sparkles in batches and wanted to see if anyone has an update. I emailed Flock but haven't gotten a response yet. Happy Friday everyone.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
To be clear, February 15th would have been a completion estimate, though 4 weeks would be enough overage that a check-in is a-ok. It can take a couple of days for sales guys to get back to service emails that require some follow-up. Give Flock a few business days to get back to you, but if you don't hear back, it could be worth a call to customer service. Their new(ish) customer service hire, Calan, has gotten some good praise for his service.

It's possible they discovered a spec error that took a re-build, or finish issue that needed some additional attention/redo...and that's one of Kiesel's short-falls: communication.

Last edited:

Moongrum

Reaction score
I got another one 😅
IMG_3382.JPG
IMG_3384.JPG
The guitar I wanted, but didn't need lol.
I have a 6, an 8, so it only made sense to get a 7.

I'm really happy with it so far. Easier to chord than an 8 and feels more like an extension of a 6. Super happy with how the antique ash came out as well as far as finish and grain. I've seen some that don't have as much as the black grime, so I"m glad mine looks like this, I was hoping for something that kind of looked like driftwood and kinda overcast.
Fairly standard for Kiesel, though, ash, 3 pc walnut neck, richlite fretboard. Beryllium pickups as usual.

kriff

You've failed me for the last time, Admiral
Reaction score
I got another one 😅
View attachment 140336
View attachment 140337
The guitar I wanted, but didn't need lol.
I have a 6, an 8, so it only made sense to get a 7.

I'm really happy with it so far. Easier to chord than an 8 and feels more like an extension of a 6. Super happy with how the antique ash came out as well as far as finish and grain. I've seen some that don't have as much as the black grime, so I"m glad mine looks like this, I was hoping for something that kind of looked like driftwood and kinda overcast.
Fairly standard for Kiesel, though, ash, 3 pc walnut neck, richlite fretboard. Beryllium pickups as usual.
Nice, that is sick. I love my HD7 as well.

musicman61554

Reaction score
To be clear, February 15th would have been a completion estimate, though 4 weeks would be enough overage that a check-in is a-ok. It can take a couple of days for sales guys to get back to service emails that require some follow-up. Give Flock a few business days to get back to you, but if you don't hear back, it could be worth a call to customer service. Their new(ish) customer service hire, Calan, has gotten some good praise for his service.

It's possible they discovered a spec error that took a re-build, or finish issue that needed some additional attention/redo...and that's one of Kiesel's short-falls: communication.
Yea I know I've had a few customs done with them. They said if it's over 4 weeks to email then call. I know they are slammed I just got excited since a new rainbow sparkle is in the in stock and they've been showing sparkles. It's still quicker then my 2 other builds (28 and 27 weeks for both of my Zeus basses).