The Carvin / Kiesel thread

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kriff

You've failed me for the last time, Admiral
Reaction score
Anyone know what kind of Tremol-no the Kiesel headless hipshot tremolo bridges need?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
How is the quality of their Floyd Rose installs currently?

After playing headless sevenstrings for several years almost exclusively, I still miss a decent six string with an original Floyd Rose from time to time.
Tested several US Charvels and Jacksons and was pretty shocked about their lousy floyd installations and setups.
Now I hope the guys from Kiesel might have retained the art of a proper FR install and setup where other companies seem to have lost it over recent years.
Seems fine on my last Delos build
IMG_6933_b.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6935_b.jpg
    IMG_6935_b.jpg
    922.1 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_6937_b.jpg
    IMG_6937_b.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I see the Steph Snow model is on sale currently. Has that ever been on sale before? I’m considering one, as the look is growing on me, but I’d like to get it as cheap as possible, of course.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
I see the Steph Snow model is on sale currently. Has that ever been on sale before? I’m considering one, as the look is growing on me, but I’d like to get it as cheap as possible, of course.
Yeah, I think this is the first time it's been on sale.

They have said it's a "limited edition", but they haven't said just how limited they are going to be. No word on when they might close the order...but I *feel* like I remember Jeff saying they had nearly sold through their target qty on the Snow version. I may be wrong on that, because I just scanned through their last live videos going back to 3/6 and didn't find it (though I did just quickly skip through)...but I have a vague recollection of him mention it. It may have been a dream. 😅

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Yeah, I think this is the first time it's been on sale.

They have said it's a "limited edition", but they haven't said just how limited they are going to be. No word on when they might close the order...but I *feel* like I remember Jeff saying they had nearly sold through their target qty on the Snow version. I may be wrong on that, because I just scanned through their last live videos going back to 3/6 and didn't find it (though I did just quickly skip through)...but I have a vague recollection of him mention it. It may have been a dream. 😅
When it first came out, I didn’t think it was anything special. But every time I look at it, it looks cooler. I can’t rationalize the nearly $4000 price tag, once tax is included, but if it goes on a decent sale again I may buy it. Maybe the red white and blue sale….

kriff

You've failed me for the last time, Admiral
Reaction score
When it first came out, I didn’t think it was anything special. But every time I look at it, it looks cooler. I can’t rationalize the nearly $4000 price tag, once tax is included, but if it goes on a decent sale again I may buy it. Maybe the red white and blue sale….
I've been doing the same with the Shadow model. On sale it wasn't much more expensive than a minimum spec multiscale 8 string anyway. I'd have been tempted if the website page wasn't broken.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
It seems like the sale was only May 4, other them "Multiscale May" I went back to the site the next day and everything was gone already. I was shocked myself.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
When running the specs through the builder, the "base" 6-string Voorhees edition is $1999 (differs from below in that it has the GT headstock and HH pickups as standard, but those are optional upcharges), while if you took the standard A2 and got it as close as you could (with the lighter base color, and with a brighter red crescent inlay instead of the blood red hockey mask arrow), I'm getting $2249, so $250 discount plus the unique aspects they don't offer on other models.

[edit: correction: it looks like the package can be added on to all sorts of models, except those that come with standard figured tops, and artist models]

If you built it to match the guitars pictured specs below, 7-string with the neck pickup delete and headstock, the Vorhees would be $2109, and the standard A2 would be $2409, so $300 discount (but also still without the "correct" white finish or inlay shape/color).

No idea how long it'll be available. Currently, it's not listed as a stand-alone model, but is a toggle on the top of the A2 builder.
1715289185265.png
1715289196590.png

Last edited:

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
It seems like the sale was only May 4, other them "Multiscale May" I went back to the site the next day and everything was gone already. I was shocked myself
It's still on in the custom builder, or are you talking about in stock guitars?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
It looks like the Carpenter sigs are still discounted, but the rest of the May the 4th promo appears gone from the builder.
I meant for the multiscale spec in the builder, they are still offering a 100$ discount from the regular upcharge for it. The in stock guitars aren't discounted because of being MS by any obvious indication I could see. Pretty sure it was only ever for the builder.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
Man, that Voohees package is really well done. I’m a sucker for red, black, and white, so this whole theme has my attention.

Anyone have any experience with the multiscale trem on the non headless (headfull?) models? I’d like to get one (on an 8, natch) but it just seems like they’d easily pop off the posts with dive bombs, etc.

jem7vwh

Reaction score
Anyone want to talk me into an A2? I love the looks of them, but my reservation is the neck profile. I've been playing MIJ RGs since 1991, and I really detest fat necks. Even strats with the supposedly more "modern" profiles are unpleasant to me. For a company that advertises itself as a custom guitar maker, it seems like Kiesel offers only three options for neck profiles: fat, fatter, or slightly less fat. Folks who love Ibanez Super Wizard HP necks, is the Kiesel "thinner" neck actually close enough that I won't hate it? Ordinarily, I'd go to a retail store and try one, but that's not so easy with Kiesel.

spudmunkey

Reaction score
A super Wizard is 17mm at the nut/first fret, Kiesel's standrd is almost 20 (19.8). That's as thick as the Super Wizard at the 12th, where Kiesel would be 22.3.

Their thin neck option takes .7mm away, so that'd get you to 19.2 and 21.6, but that's still more than 10% thicker.

If that's a deal breaker, I don't think it would be a good fit. One rarely hears people describe their necks as "fat" (usually "middle of the road", and their thin neck option is "on the thinner side of middle of the road"), but your reference point is nearly the thinnest of the thin, so it's definitely going to feel thick to you, IMO.

For reference, I gave up on my Ibanez because I realized such thin necks were causing me hand pain, and Kiesel's neck is enough of a difference that it doesn't.

There's a relatively modern used Carvin at the Cerritos Guitar Center that might be worth checking out if you're in the neighborhood.

mikernaut

pixel pusher
Reaction score
Anyone want to talk me into an A2? I love the looks of them, but my reservation is the neck profile. I've been playing MIJ RGs since 1991, and I really detest fat necks. Even strats with the supposedly more "modern" profiles are unpleasant to me. For a company that advertises itself as a custom guitar maker, it seems like Kiesel offers only three options for neck profiles: fat, fatter, or slightly less fat. Folks who love Ibanez Super Wizard HP necks, is the Kiesel "thinner" neck actually close enough that I won't hate it? Ordinarily, I'd go to a retail store and try one, but that's not so easy with Kiesel.
I find the thinner neck profile feels great and is more comfortable then my ESP custom (which feels a touch more full/rounder). Also the walnut with tung oil feels sooo amazing smooth. To me the Kiesel profile kinda reminds me of a Jackson neck. But if you are super in love with the thin Ibanez necks it still might be hard to convince you. I would agree on trying to find a used Kiesel around your area/Guitar Center.

Alex_C

Reaction score
I find the thinner neck profile feels great and is more comfortable then my ESP custom (which feels a touch more full/rounder). Also the walnut with tung oil feels sooo amazing smooth. To me the Kiesel profile kinda reminds me of a Jackson neck. But if you are super in love with the thin Ibanez necks it still might be hard to convince you. I would agree on trying to find a used Kiesel around your area/Guitar Center.
I have an Osiris with a walnut tung oiled neck. It feels great!