The Contortionist Megathread

• Thread starter MetalJordan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
I’m digging it! All Grey isn’t my favorite, but it’s well done. 1979... well, I never liked Smashing Pumpkins, and really hated this song :lol: but I like this version better, for sure. At least I was prepared, them having played it on the last tour. Follow and Early Grace are bangers tho! I love that Mike did a ton of screaming on Follow, too :D

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
The EP is great. And while 1979 from the Pumpkins is one of my favorite songs ever, the cover feels... Weird. It's a good cover, just feels out of place.

AdenM

Illuminaughty
Reaction score
Been a fan since Exoplanet - wasn't there for Clairvoyant though, I figured I had moved past djenty stuff. I think this EP shows they have too. Love the raw sound.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
I thought they did an ok job with the Pumpkins cover. I loved them growing up though, so I didn’t mind it. Really dig the other songs. I like the direction they have gone.

Spicypickles

Sweeps & Mops
Reaction score
I haven’t heard anything of this band outside of Language, but I absolutely LOVE that album, really hard, in the butt.

Do they have anything else that is similar, or is each album kind of it’s own thing?

MerlinTKD

Contributor
Reaction score
I haven’t heard anything of this band outside of Language, but I absolutely LOVE that album, really hard, in the butt.

Do they have anything else that is similar, or is each album kind of it’s own thing?

I think Clairvoyant is closer to Language than any of the earlier stuff, but there’s only 4 albums, so... :shrug:

Flemmigan

Snoofin' your gear
Reaction score
I think the EP is excellent. Some thoughts on it:
  • Their tone gets better on each release; how is that possible?
  • Glad to hear some screams back in action. I'm not a "screams or bust" person, but I think the contrast re-opens up a dimension that was more present in their older work. It general, it's great to hear more of Mike's range. While the deliberately subdued vocal style worked really well for Clairvoyant, he has an incredible voice and I like hearing how much variety he can add to different parts.
  • I think I might like their version of 1979 better than the original.
  • Only problem is it's too short. I sneezed and missed half of it! Hopefully that just means the next LP is not too far off.

MerlinTKD

Contributor
Reaction score
Robby posted on Instagram that they recorded the guitars through both a Dual Rec and a Triple Crown (50w combo?) and blended each amp in more or less depending on the song.

Yes to the screaming :metal:

Their version of 1979 IS better :D