The "Controversial" Metal drummer thread

• Thread starter ImBCRichBitch
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
Morgan Rose. Something about his live playing is just.... unhuman. He's more technical (that does NOT mean fast), and he's doing just as much PERFORMING on drums as he is playing them.
EDIT: Why the hell did I post this?
If i woulda thought hard i coulda said him but there are many great drummers who slip me mind.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
Alot of you are reminding me of drummers that have slipped my mind.When i get the chance ill edit the original thread with a list that has all the drummers i forgot.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
This thread has a serious and dangerous lack of Martin Lopez.
lopez.jpg

My favourite drummer (except for Haake of course, who transcends all possible degrees of awesome).

I feel like the OP must be trolling; I don't understand how anyone could possible rate the Rev or Joey over Lopez, Haake, Hoglan, Kollias, Menza, Hannes Grossman (or hundreds of other great metal drummers) in terms of speed, creativity and musicality, and that's coming from a big Slipknot fan.

I agree with all of this, except Haake isn't my favourite drummer. Strange, in that photo Lopez looks like the girl from Let The Right One In.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
The Rev? Seriously?

My favourite metal drummers are guys like Shannon Lucas, Pete Sandoval, Paul Bostaph, Paul Mazurkiewicz etc. My absolute favourite metal drummer is Brann Dailor from Mastodon, though I think the further you go back through their albums, the better his drummer gets, hitting a zenith on "Remission". Such a loose style, still holding the groove, but only just.

ImBCRichBitch

Reaction score
I agree with all of this, except Haake isn't my favourite drummer. Strange, in that photo Lopez looks like the girl from Let The Right One In.
You mean the chick from the Aiden video Let The Right One In?

ittoa666

Being confused on SS.org since 2008
Reaction score
The Rev? Seriously?

My favourite metal drummers are guys like Shannon Lucas, Pete Sandoval, Paul Bostaph, Paul Mazurkiewicz etc. My absolute favourite metal drummer is Brann Dailor from Mastodon, though I think the further you go back through their albums, the better his drummer gets, hitting a zenith on "Remission". Such a loose style, still holding the groove, but only just.

:agreed: All of this.

Oxidation_Shed

Nightman.
Reaction score
Derek Roddy is a big ol' slice of inhuman technicality and still manages to retain groove.
Mario from Gojira is another drummer that has an awesome concept on groove: he doesn't feel the need to play at breakneck speeds in order to be interesting. The drumming to Vacuity - even the simplicity of the opening - showcase this in my opinion. He's not just a human version of Superior Drummer 2.0, his beats have a life of their own which can't be denied.

Edit: I also can't believe that no one from this forum has mentioned Matt Halpern yet, dude is a human groove machine.

muaddib09

Reaction score
Brann Dailor and Danny Carey. Here is something cool instead of being totally metal they use a groove oriented drummer. Billy Cobham and Tony Williams are also super sick, not really metal drummer though.

decypher

Reaction score
I like the usual prog guys like Rick Colaluca / WatchTower and definitely Mark Zonder, his drumming on Perfect Symmetry was extremely original.

as for more straight metal drummers I really love Mikkey Dee's work on King Diamond's Abigail and Fatal Portait... I couldn't care less about Motorhead but he really is a perfect metal drummer.

Reaction score
The Rev was sick, he was only hated because they broke into mainstream.

No, it is because he sucked, period.

You can tell OP is a newbie because he's asking who the best is. Once you get a little more experienced you'll realize that there is no best at anything. Just different flavors.

If we ranked creativity as one of the deciding factors I would say someone like Steve Flynn from Athiest, but he's by no means the best.

If we ranked pure technical skill I may list off someone like Longstreth or Kollias, both are pretty ridiculously good, however, again you can't say they're the best because music isn't a sport.

Also Joey Jordinson is fast? Bitch please :lol:

This is fast.