The "Dj" word. . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
However because of the thread title I was half hoping it would be a church of djod thread :lol:

when you said the dj word I thought you were going to say djod.

^ What they said. :lol:

Earliest reference to djent that I could find on this forum:

Ha! I wonder if Loomer is aware that he is the instigator of the term "Djent" on this forum and, if so, what he thinks of that. :lol:

Djent had a lot of potential when it first broke, because honestly, it promised a lot of great technical playing. Some of that came to fruition, but unfortunately a lot of Djent bands were content to go "CHUG CH-CHUG CHUG BWOOOOOOOOW DISCHORD AMELODIC TAPPING CHUG CHUG" and very little else. Djent's affinity for vocalists that mostly came off as, for lack of a better word, whiny also frustrated me.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sniperfreak223

B.C. Rich loyalist
Reaction score
to each their own...this whole "djent" thing never really appealed to me, but what does my opinion matter in the grander scheme of things?

a lot of kids go the BKP/Axe-Fx II route and express themselves through playing this style, that's cool, they're keeping up with the current trend.

Me? I play BC Riches loaded with EMG's through a good old fashioned pedalboard and a Peavey 6505+/Marshall 1960A combo and play mostly down-tuned thrash...so by most people's standards my gear is antiquated and my playing style is stuck in the 80's, but whatever, that's what makes me happy.

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
I bought a t-shirt online without trying it on first :ugh:

In all seriousness though, I've been kind of late to the party. By the time I knew what the whole "djent" thing was it had already moved into the phase where it was cool to hate it. I enjoy a few of the bands who I think maybe had a hand in kickstarting the whole thing, like Periphery and Tesseract, and I like Meshuggah a little bit.

I kind of think the problem was that nowadays it's really easy for anyone to record music and put it on the internet without being able to put together a catchy song or even play instruments. So we ended up with floods of people in their bedrooms who knew how to record but not much about composition. I've seen my fair share of these "bands" on Youtube and whatever and they all just seemed to focus on a single aspect of the music they were trying to replicate, i.e. low tuned polyrythyms, so it all sounded kinda the same and kinda generic (djeneric?). But they all had production better than what I can do and maybe that fooled some people...?

To be fair I spent last year discovering this whole scene and it did have an impact on my playing and writing, I'd say for the better. And I found out about some cool bands. So it's not all bad :)

Pretty much this for me too (except the band's are pretty much swapped around :lol: ). I discovered Meshuggah in the early 2000's and never heard of djent until maybe about a year or so ago.

I actually enjoy it and not just for odd time signatures and all that lol. I just like the extremely tight rhythm sections and the tone (I've always hated muddy tone).

All in all I enjoy some of the bands that play with a djenty style regardless of how they record, who they play with or what they play through. If I like it I like it and if I don't I don't.

I've never really cared what other people like or don't like. I even still actively listen to Metallica (even Load and Reload) :ugh: :lol:

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Guys, AXE-FX and BKPs are not djent only gear. Realize that already. These can do probably every genre out there.

Rick

ALL HAIL DJOD
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Guys, AXE-FX and BKPs are not djent only gear. Realize that already. These can do probably every genre out there.

So many people use the AxeFX and so many of them don't play "djent." The AxeFX is a better version of the POD X3 Pro, it has so many ....ing options on it but people assume it's only good for "djent." All "djent" is is a tone with a whole bunch of mids and a certain pick attack, that's all it is. I don't know who the .... the authority is that gets to label a band as "djent" but not many of them even sound the same stylewise, they just use a similar sound tone. And god forbid a band use an 8 string lest they be immediately labeled as "djent". You do know Dino uses 8s, doesn't sound like a "djent" band (whatever the .... that is), does it?

/rantover

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Guys... just came here again to ask something.. what the heck is djod? :lol:

protest

Reaction score
Guys... just came here again to ask something.. what the heck is djod? :lol:

58438_435185134532_506719532_4859898_6554116_n.jpg

Just a guess though.

Reaction score
@Op +1 for death metal. I've been working on some Djoom. Like djent and Doom. I was raised on doom, so i figured I'd just throw it in some deathmetal. For reference, I'm very late to the djent party.

Sinborn

Tube Guru
Reaction score
Maybe this is just a drummer's opinion, but I think djent/prog metal is more for the drummer in you than the guitarist. I'm a drummer, and I love the stuff because it's a fresh departure from blast/skank beats, constant double kicks, etc. that has been done and overdone. I did not care for pedal hat or ghost note technique until I got into djent. Now I crave it in everything I listen to, and I'm struggling to learn the techniques myself.

My guitarist was talking to me about djent the other day. An old band of his was called Din, and he was boasting they invented the djent sound, only tuned up so it sounded like "djin".

teamSKDM

Reaction score
well, some things that irk me about djent.
1.) when it gets called progressive, but lacks progressive elements. but they call it progressive even though its djent. i hate those djent fans that hate to call it djent, like come on were in 2013. i think its fair to label it as a relatively tacky subgenre without people being like "djent is an onomatopoeia" , well a rock is a rock cause its hard, metal is a metal cause its harder, its named after something it sounds like.

2.) djent bands who play these insanely ergonomic instruments. like what do you need a fanned fret guitar for to play your chugs, and open notes? (this is an exception for bands who venture past that, but still incorporate other aspects into their music)

3.) I know so many kids who act like they worship meshuggah, but barely listen to them. they only act like they worship them because they dont want to be posers when they credit their obvious volumes/structures ripoffs , for meshuggah influence.

Thats how it is around where I live, anyway.

But ive heard some awesome modern "djent bands" , but most are just kids who suck at guitar, and being a "djent" band makes them feel like theyre doing something not so basic.

dont bash me, just saying how my local area works fellas.

The Uncreator

Control The Sun
Reaction score
I see a lot of Djent bands claim they are progressive and jazz and all this shit, trying to seem kind of high brow. And the imagery they promote gives off that feeling, not all of it is like that, but I hate those bands that jsut give off that "Yeah look at me and how good I am" vibe.

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
I play around a lot with what I like to call "Polyrhythmic Groove Metal". I wouldn't call it djent because I try to keep it a little closer to what Meshuggah themselves do rather than what the Meshuggah-influenced djent bands do.

I've always seen djent as just an attempt to emulate the sound and style of Meshuggah. There's nothing wrong with this: all genres are based around the foundations laid by a pioneering artist or artists. It doesn't make you a copycat or ripoff to take a style and create new art within the parameters it established.

But what I don't like about "djent" as such is the addition of a lot of metalcore/screamo elements to the Meshuggah concept, which I'm not really a fan of. I'd be more interested if they took it in an even more brutal and discordant direction rather than a more melodic and mainstream direction.

ONE

He who is cake.
Reaction score
I guess i listen to what some would call Djent, but people get so argumentative when you use that word so I just think of it as progressive metal...

dedsouth333

That one dude...
Reaction score
well, some things that irk me about djent.
1.) when it gets called progressive, but lacks progressive elements. but they call it progressive even though its djent. i hate those djent fans that hate to call it djent, like come on were in 2013. i think its fair to label it as a relatively tacky subgenre without people being like "djent is an onomatopoeia" , well a rock is a rock cause its hard, metal is a metal cause its harder, its named after something it sounds like.

2.) djent bands who play these insanely ergonomic instruments. like what do you need a fanned fret guitar for to play your chugs, and open notes? (this is an exception for bands who venture past that, but still incorporate other aspects into their music)

3.) I know so many kids who act like they worship meshuggah, but barely listen to them. they only act like they worship them because they dont want to be posers when they credit their obvious volumes/structures ripoffs , for meshuggah influence.

Thats how it is around where I live, anyway.

But ive heard some awesome modern "djent bands" , but most are just kids who suck at guitar, and being a "djent" band makes them feel like theyre doing something not so basic.

dont bash me, just saying how my local area works fellas.

I see a lot of Djent bands claim they are progressive and jazz and all this shit, trying to seem kind of high brow. And the imagery they promote gives off that feeling, not all of it is like that, but I hate those bands that jsut give off that "Yeah look at me and how good I am" vibe.

This thread isn't going to last much longer is it? :lol:

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
This thread's gonna get murdered pretty soon, methinks, so here's my take on the ordeal:

I like djent. I do not feel that all djent is created equal. Lemme s'plain.

I love bands like Periphery, TesseracT, AtB, Monuments, TSF, Corelia, and so on that use "djenty" influence and lots of different techniques and approaches to things, but not so much the run-of-the-mill bands that use the actual djent sound as a crutch, follow a basic formula of chugs over an ominous clean line (hooray for MacBooks) and have an elitist sort of outlook about their own stuff and whatnot.

I see djent the same way as any subgenre; as a comet.

There are the bands at the forefront (Periphery, Meshuggah, etc.) that will continue to develop their respective sounds and stay fresh, then there are the bands right behind that I don't see lasting as long, but are still fairly original like Volumes or Intervals (love them both, but they both kinda give off that vibe to me :shrug:) and then there's the trail of cookie-cutter bands that always get the hate and all that. Honestly, I see talent and potential in them, but not if they just want to fit into a pre-existing mold made by the bands at the forefront.

I'm basically babbling, so TL;DR:

I like original "djent" bands with their own ideas. Not so much on the cookie-cutters.

Demiurge

Reaction score
Gave it a chance... not my bag, but I'm not going to get bent out of shape about people enjoying what they enjoy. That said, it does get a little bit irksome when some folks claim that it's a paradigm-shift for heavy music, or when they can stack a few odd chord voicings and claim that it's Jazz Fusion II: Electric Boogaloo. That attitude has gone away for the most party, though.

Eptaceros

Wayfarer
Reaction score
ITT:

- OP makes post addressing djent as a singular concept.
- people beat around the bush by saying "I don't like djent, I like good djent".
- everyone once again learns that shitty bands exist in all genres and subgenres.

tumblr_m9ab0nfdZK1r1mtsdo1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.