The Explorer shapes fans thread

• Thread starter MrBouleDeBowling
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score

I don't hate the Floyd on it as I thought I would. Nothing against them, but one of the biggest appeals to me about these, LPs, and similar guitars is that they're big slabs of tonewood, and all the routing for a trem takes away from that. Nonetheless, it looks ok to me here.

That being said, one thing aesthetic I learned from that kooky Scott Grove is pickguards cover up beautiful wood and finishes! Why add all that plastic? Show off that gorgeous Pelham Blue. Anyway, still a cool guitar, I'd make some changes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

manu80

Reaction score
would have made the left part of the pickguard a bit rounder to match the guitar shape but otherwise, it's fu...in gorgeous. Really cool explorer

Estilo

Reaction score
Just realised there's an Explorer thread. My humble contribution, just a plain black LTD EX-401. Backstory for the masking tape on 12th fret is this turned out to be one of those illegitimate pieces that likely got snuck out of the factory before the final rounds of production. It doesn't have a serial number but everything else checks out from the EMG 81/60 to the Earvana nut and LTD cardboard box, the paint job was definitely factory level. It's like those unauthorised authentic sneaker stuff I guess.

I sold it as I didn't quite vibe with it. Even after replacing the Earvana with a Graphtech and experimenting tuning it to B. From this experience I found that for Explorer types I find the OG Gibsons most visually appealing.

Screenshot_20240411_221334_Gallery.jpg

JSKrev

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The OG. 1984 Washburn A20V. Single 500k volume pot with PRS HFS bridge (currently) and Black Winter neck.20240114_210823.jpg

I owned an '89 Gibson Explorer for years, along with an Ibanez Destroyer DT-150. I'll look around for pics.

Nanker Phelge

Reaction score
Are the Epiphone explorers the same size as the Gibson Explorers, or did they make them a little smaller?

Reaction score
I'm assuming they really wanted to keep the price down but I wish they would have gone with bound necks and headstocks with a darker fretboard. And the color choices are a bit questionable. Why gold only in SG? Who the hell asked for an orange? A silver V and a gold V would have been cool.

Seabeast2000

Deathcult® NPC
Reaction score
I've only just learned of this model a few minutes ago, but I'm surprised it hasn't made it to this thread before.

Washburn A-23

The one I saw online tonight:
View attachment 141707
View attachment 141708
View attachment 141709

It looks like there was a whole "A" product family, with some having seemingly less-pronounced body shapes (though maybe it's just the angle of the photos of the guitar above)

A-20:
View attachment 141711
View attachment 141713
View attachment 141714

A-15:

View attachment 141716
View attachment 141717

A5:
View attachment 141710
View attachment 141712
Buddy of mine got endorsed way back and still has 3 or 4 different A models. Still his main players.