The Fishman Fluence Thread

Iceblade

Reaction score
I used to have an Ibanez S Prestige with a 5 way switch. I had a tech put bkp juggernauts in it and he was able to wire up the individual coils to positions 2 and 4. I don't remember what they actually did, but I'm sure it's possible, you just need to look at a diagram for your stock switch so you know where to wire everything.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the Prestige models had the more complex Otax VLX91 super switch, as well. I know the RG3120 did, for sure.

Indigo Shinigami

Said the p-word once
Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the Prestige models had the more complex Otax VLX91 super switch, as well. I know the RG3120 did, for sure.
I don't remember which one my model had, but I'm almost certain it had 8 prongs on the bottom, so if yours has that many, you should be able to use your stock switch just fine.

SlamLiguez

Voidist
Reaction score
Not sure if i should have made my own thread but I'll ask here; how would the Moderns compare to any of the blackouts? Loomis or Thomson? I'm deciding which set to pop in my Falchion.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score
Not sure if i should have made my own thread but I'll ask here; how would the Moderns compare to any of the blackouts? Loomis or Thomson? I'm deciding which set to pop in my Falchion.
Thanks in advance

I actually like the bridge Blackout I currently have better than my Modern bridge. It's a toss up between the necks.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Thanks in advance

Blackouts: Fluences have less output and more mids. Blackouts are more scooped, brighter highs, and flubbier lows. Voice 2 and the BOs shared some similarities.
Mick Thomsons: Thought the Micks were very flat all around. The Fluences sounded much better to me. Tighter, brighter, clearer.

SlamLiguez

Voidist
Reaction score
I actually like the bridge Blackout I currently have better than my Modern bridge. It's a toss up between the necks.

Blackouts: Fluences have less output and more mids. Blackouts are more scooped, brighter highs, and flubbier lows. Voice 2 and the BOs shared some similarities.
Mick Thomsons: Thought the Micks were very flat all around. The Fluences sounded much better to me. Tighter, brighter, clearer.

Thanks for the input guys

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
You could try reversing the neck and bridge pickup so that the ceramic is in the neck and the alnico in the bridge.
I could, but I worry about the roundness of the Alnico model. I really adore the tightness of the ceramic model in the bridge. I could always try to snag another ceramic model and just go double ceramic, but at the end of the day, I still don't know that it will give me what I want. But we have another option, im pretty limited.

juka

Reaction score
I could, but I worry about the roundness of the Alnico model. I really adore the tightness of the ceramic model in the bridge. I could always try to snag another ceramic model and just go double ceramic, but at the end of the day, I still don't know that it will give me what I want. But we have another option, im pretty limited.

Why not simply try it out next time you change strings?

Swapping bridge and neck PU is really easy with Fishman and you will have the answer to all your questions within minutes.

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
I
Why not simply try it out next time you change strings?

Swapping bridge and neck PU is really easy with Fishman and you will have the answer to all your questions within minutes.
The guitar hasn't arrived yet. I had the moderns in one of my 6 strings until I swapped them with the Devy set, so I know that I definitely don't like the alnico modern in the neck that much.

I will probably give it a go when the guitar arrives

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
Can confirm that that blackout bridge sounds a bit similar in terms of eq to the modern ceramic voice 2. The fluence is just drier sounding and a bit tighter down low despite the bigger bass boost.

The blackout however has that emg-ish sag while having a looser bottom.

elkoki

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, anyone use the Fluence Modern alnico in the bridge? If you do,how does it sound like ? and what do you use in the neck?

juka

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, anyone use the Fluence Modern alnico in the bridge? If you do,how does it sound like ? and what do you use in the neck?

Still have it on my ToDo list, but I actually like the ceramic at the bridge, which is pretty astonishing as this might be the first ceramic bridge PU I actually like.

As far as I remember there is at least one member here who uses the Alnico as bridge PU and Fluff for example uses it that way after recommendation by Ken Susi

Iceblade

Reaction score

Just FYI should anyone care, the Tosin Abasi's will absolutely not fit within an Ibanez S7320 body unless you don't use the push-pull pots and only wire it with the stock switch... which sort of defeats the purpose of getting them. I am now having them put into my RG7621 and moving the Blackouts currently in that over to the 7320. Hope that may help someone prior to going through the pain and expense, themselves.

Jeff

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
So I'm curious to see if I really did a dumbass move awhile back and installed the Fluence Moderns backwards in the 7-string awhile back. :lol: Ordered a Fluence Modern 7 set for my SC-607B.

Chad

Reaction score
A couple random thoughts/questions:

1. I have a set of Moderns in my ESP Eclipse and really like them. I have 3 knobs available and am using one regular pot and two push-pulls. I've tried all of the options with the push-pull switches: Voice selection, HF Tilt, gain reduction, and split coil.

I think I've settled on Voice selection and split coil as my two options. Only mod I might make is to set it up to where the bridge pickup splits to the inner coil while the neck pickup splits to the neck side coil. That's how I typically like my split coils. I've never heard of anybody doing this with the Fluence pickups, but it looks doable from the wiring diagrams.

One interesting note: I technically have 4 voices because you can select split coil mode in both Voice 1 and Voice 2 and it seems they are a bit different.

2. I'm thinking about getting a Classic set for another guitar. Does anybody know the most current revision version? It's odd how the original versions had split coil as a separate thing, then they converted it to being an official 3rd voicing. I wonder if the old versions allowed 4 voices like my Moderns do?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
They probably could, since you have to solder onto the pickup itself for the coil split, like the moderns.

Also found that a mini toggle conveniently fits into my Stef's tone control hole. So I can test the different options without rewiring the entire guitar. Just chunk the pickups in there and solder the voicing wires to the mini toggle. :D

CloudsUr

Reaction score
Just ordered an Aristides 060RL (the first one) with fluence open cores. Excited to try them out when its done :)
Ordered a 070R myself last week and i'm excited as hell.
I ended up choosing the moderns in the end, after subjecting myself and my bandmates to various blind test.
Both the classic and the moderns sounded really good to our ears so the (admittedly silly) main reason i went with the moderns was because i wanted covered PUs for aesthetic reasons and the classic 7 are only available as open cores :)

Latest posts