The gutting of an Ibanez S7320

• Thread starter No2EMGs4Me
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

No2EMGs4Me

Fosterocalypse
Reaction score
So i picked up this guy used @ the local GC, which i prefer not to give business to but with used stuff sometimes you gotta bend the rules. Groghunter was present to witness the shenanigans. I didn't think to take any pics until I had already begun so i have no true before and after but it'll be close. A quick run down...it came loaded with Blackouts....I hate active pickups (hence my 7string.org name). So first thing first GUT IT!! My plans are to have 2 Seymour Duncans, distortion=bridge and a 59=neck, then wire it for a 3 way switch, 1 vol and a killswitch.
foam.jpg

Here's where the thought struck me to document for the fellow 7 stringers
pickupdepth.jpg

For those who haven't seen these pickups in person here is the difference in depth. Looking at schematics is one thing but heres side by side
cavity.jpg

Another reason to gut...this work was horrendous but i have to give credit the pickups did work. Rule #1 for beginners or the less experienced..Less solder is more. I can't stress enough.
screws.jpg

First obstacle is the different screws used the ones that come with the passive SD's are a lot longer so you have to thread them a bit then i used wire cutters to cut about 1/2" off to make them about the same legth as the ones that were used with the blackouts. Second was getting the pickup close enough to the strings but still have it directly mounted to the body. I didn't want to mount a pickup ring to the top of the body. I used foam out of the pickup case and a good amount cause i wanted it pretty snug when compressed.
neckpickup.jpg

Here's what I have so far after about 1 hour of work. I would have kept going but the invader (you can see the SOB in the background) I had I thought was a 7 string but turned out to be a 6 string invader. I was only planning on using it because it was sitting around but now i must play the waiting game for my Distortion to come in.

No2EMGs4Me

Fosterocalypse
Reaction score
newpup.jpg

Pickup fairy came......<3
screwcomp.jpg

here's a better comparison of what i was describing in the beginning in terms of screw length etc
install.jpg

cheating when installing...I recently restrung this and wanted to save the strings...I go thru strings IMO too quickly so i try my best to make them last (wash my hands regularly, wipe off guitar, don't leave guitar in open when not in use etc)
bridge.jpg

BEHOLD!!! The Bonesaber of Zumecales!! I will have more pics very soon of the last few steps very soon.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jymellis

Talk To DeWalt
Reaction score
awesome work maing. elixir strings should last a little longer if you wanna give them a shot ;)

No2EMGs4Me

Fosterocalypse
Reaction score
awesome work maing. elixir strings should last a little longer if you wanna give them a shot ;)

Coincidentally when i got this it had elixirs on it. I have never played them on a 7 so before i restrung it i played the hell out of them. It does kinda suck because i have no way of telling how long theyve been on there and i know GC didnt put them on. Either way i played them til I had a nice bare metal picking radius where the coating was peeled back. I'm impartial to elixirs, i dig them alot on acoustics. It's always been Ernie Ball for me.

No2EMGs4Me

Fosterocalypse
Reaction score
screwcomp.jpg

A better veiw at comparing the screw sizes
wire.jpg

Couldn't find my spare wire so i had to improvise with an old squier pup
killwitchprewire.jpg

Prewired the switch with an ample amount of extra before i take a drillbit to the body
killswitch.jpg

top veiw...you can see the difference in size of the shaft from the switch in relation to any pot
end.jpg

After connecting all the loose ends here is what i have...I left the extra pup wire attached because i would rather have too much then to have to splice.
guitar-1.jpg

The Bone Saber of Zumecales is nearly complete....
still to be completed setup ax, test, drill out hole for switch to flush mount it to body, top it off with a mxr knob for the volume pot

No2EMGs4Me

Fosterocalypse
Reaction score
Better late than never....finally quit playing it and finished what I started.
DSC00685.jpg

As you can see the switch is fat..so i had to ream the hole to size. I don't have immediate access to a dremel so i chose this route but on the plus side it didn't cause the paint to chip or crack so it left a flawless circle around it.
DSC00686.jpg

DSC00687.jpg

DSC00688-1.jpg

Final product. Also not shown switched out vol pot from standard size to mini...personal preference and the full size seemed sluggish to me.

Ghost40

Dude
Contributor
Reaction score
Very nice man. I had a set of Distortions in a frankenstein tele a while back, they sounded so thick

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
So uhh... Whatcha doin w/ thos blackouts??? :D

Also... I wish the 7420 came in white (or does it?). :(