The Les Paul thread

• Thread starter budda
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Again, not a thing in France. The only lefty thing they have 99% of the time is an entry level Epiphone, and the only lefty store in France is 900km away and they don't get Gibsons. That's the problem for us lefties who want a Gibson, they seem very variable in quality from on example to another and you can't try them so you have to buy to try (it's true for most guitar purchases to be fair though) so the more info the better
Who said only in France? I didnt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Again, not a thing in France. The only lefty thing they have 99% of the time is an entry level Epiphone, and the only lefty store in France is 900km away and they don't get Gibsons. That's the problem for us lefties who want a Gibson, they seem very variable in quality from on example to another and you can't try them so you have to buy to try (it's true for most guitar purchases to be fair though) so the more info the better

Stores don’t accept returns in France?

Swarm

Reaction score
Who said only in France? I didnt.
One option could be to purchase new on Thomann or others , I'd rather get a used one but a brand new Classic is still an option.
Stores don’t accept returns in France?
Stores very rarely get lefty Gibsons in France. Few of them get Gibsons at all since they're incredible expensive to get in store, you have to purchase 100000e worth of guitars every year or something and even when they do the lefties in store are incredibly rare. I know right handed people don't necessarily realize how much of a pain in the ass it can be to be a lefty sometimes lol. Anyway that's why I would like to get opinions on LP's fretwork since buying used sight unseen is the most probable outcome. Also, anybody tried a Modern? How do they compare to the standards and classics? That neck heel carve is soooo appealing for solos but I'm concerned about the sound and feel of a weight relieved LP. I tried a 2017 I think standard side by side with the Classic and it wasn't the same

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Most of the recent Gibsons I've played had had nice fretwork but there are definitely still dodgy examples around (had a '19 (I think) Studio where the nut was cut too low). Best to guy with a return policy or with budget to just have some things cleaned up.

I've not played a Modern but some of the super weight relieved LPs I've played (like the Studio I mentioned above) felt strange. It wasn't exactly neck heavy but it was on the brink. I would prefer a bit more mass in the body to keep it better balanced.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Most of the recent Gibsons I've played had had nice fretwork but there are definitely still dodgy examples around (had a '19 (I think) Studio where the nut was cut too low). Best to guy with a return policy or with budget to just have some things cleaned up.

I've not played a Modern but some of the super weight relieved LPs I've played (like the Studio I mentioned above) felt strange. It wasn't exactly neck heavy but it was on the brink. I would prefer a bit more mass in the body to keep it better balanced.
Given lefties are harder to come by and low nuts are an easy fix, if that’s all OP has to deal with then he shouldnt have much issue finding a great guitar.

Swarm

Reaction score
Given lefties are harder to come by and low nuts are an easy fix, if that’s all OP has to deal with then he shouldnt have much issue finding a great guitar.
Yeah I agree, a nicely leveled and setup guitar would be great but I could do with a bit of work for a great sounding one. I would like to avoid a refret unless it was a bargain though so I'd like to avoid anything needing more than a fret leveling

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
D1-A23-BBA-291-A-40-BB-B1-FD-E016-A3-B615-E9.jpg
My second Navigator N-LP-CTM finally showed up after its extended stay in Customs and then weekend circling NY for no reason

Here's the tenon because I always have to take a look
64-F68051-8139-44-C2-A1-FA-188-A739-B245-F.jpg

These are both '21s and are much nicer than an older on I had. I still have a '57 RI LPC as well but prefer the Navigators.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
The Epiphone Adam Jones #4 was just announced and it’s another meh one for me. I have the first two and my original plan was to collect the whole series. But these last two have been uninspiring and I just can’t see dropping $1300 on each of them.

I’m just wondering who the target audience is for these? The first two sold out in maybe an hour. The third one is still available months after it’s release and I suspect so will the fourth.

IMG_2849.jpegIMG_2850.jpeg

TLDR Maybe I just have a pedestrian eye for art.

rokket2005

Reaction score
Being a left handed guitarist sucks, but every other instrument tells you to fuck off and learn how to play right handed vs. making left handed models.

soliloquy

Reaction score
The Epiphone Adam Jones #4 was just announced and it’s another meh one for me. I have the first two and my original plan was to collect the whole series. But these last two have been uninspiring and I just can’t see dropping $1300 on each of them.

I’m just wondering who the target audience is for these? The first two sold out in maybe an hour. The third one is still available months after it’s release and I suspect so will the fourth.

View attachment 126278View attachment 126279

I think this is just Gibson/Epiphone filling the void they created from the...80's? when they stopped producing proper tear drop silver burst customs on a REGULAR run guitar.
However, at this rate, they are oversaturating the market with them. I wont be surprised if they just drop silverburst again for another decade or two, and then randomly bring it back.

Being a left handed guitarist sucks, but every other instrument tells you to fuck off and learn how to play right handed vs. making left handed models.

I'm curious....Tabs are usually written for right handed folk. When you're reading tabs, do you have to flip the charts around? sorry, this may sound more ignorant than intended...

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
I think this is just Gibson/Epiphone filling the void they created from the...80's? when they stopped producing proper tear drop silver burst customs on a REGULAR run guitar.
However, at this rate, they are oversaturating the market with them. I wont be surprised if they just drop silverburst again for another decade or two, and then randomly bring it back.

I'm curious....Tabs are usually written for right handed folk. When you're reading tabs, do you have to flip the charts around? sorry, this may sound more ignorant than intended...

Yeah I think they're making 7 art ones and then a plain one? If they do 800 of the last one as well then that's 6400 of these total in 12-18 months production.

tian

Reaction score

View attachment 126278View attachment 126279

These are amazing and my favorite so far.

If everyone hates them and they don't sell, sounds good to me so I can get the funds together to pick one up lol.

USMarine75

Contributor
Reaction score
These are amazing and my favorite so far.

If everyone hates them and they don't sell, sounds good to me so I can get the funds together to pick one up lol.

You get these two and between us we can have the whole collection. :)

zappatton2

Reaction score
Speaking as a right-handed player/person, I always thought reversing the order made more sense. Highest bar as treble, lowest bar as bass, and that's kinda the angle I tend to look at my strings anyway. It would almost be easier in my brain reading it as a lefty.

Swarm

Reaction score
Tabs are written from left to right, I read from left to right and my strings are low up and high down just as righties so in that aspect it doesn't make any difference to me. It helped some student when I was teaching a bit though, like a mirroring effect

soliloquy

Reaction score
since we dont have an official 'Gibson' thread, i'll post it here

why am i now craving guitars i NEVER had any interest in before? I now want a 339...

1) i dont play guitar half as much to warrant so many guitars
2) i have a serious problem....
3) help!

xzacx

Reaction score

why am i now craving guitars i NEVER had any interest in before? I now want a 339...

3) help!
I'm a big 339 fan. I think 335s look so cool but are so cumbersome and uncomfortable to play, and the 339 corrects that to an extent. Ultimately though, neither of them do something different enough than a Les Paul to justify keeping them to me. They did make a 390 for a while with P90s, which was basically the 339 version of a 330. That's the one I'd go for if I ever decided to get an ES again.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score

3) help!
Age? I had an eastman 335 and it was great but sounded so similar to my singlecuts that I turned it into my first PRS 594. Havent tried a 339 in a long time and the $3k used one sold.

Also yes, serious problem.