The Little Tybee Not-So-Mega-But-Still-Pretty-Good Thread

• Thread starter works0fheart
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

piggins411

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of LT and Josh. Thanks for posting that understrumming video. That was insane

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
The end of that understrumming video was pretty intense. I've been meaning to get around to listening to their new album.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
What the fcuk?

Did he just... ?

Was that a... ?

The hell?

That was insane. Thanks for sharing.

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
I believe Josh and Tosin actually went to AIM together? So they're not too far off from being musical acquaintances.

That said, I watched that new "under-strumming" video this morning and promptly shat a brick. So inspiring.

celticelk

Reaction score
If Josh played music that could be categorized as "metal," he'd be as big a hero as Tosin and Bulb in these parts. What an amazing player.

SmackyChot

tune l0w and 0
Reaction score
erh.gif

This guy is fantastic. Definitely dissecting this video to try and learn some of the stuff he does. My gawd.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone know of bands similiar to LT's sound? I love them but don't want to wear out their albums which is a fear I have for any band, but trying to find stuff similar to them is probably impossible.

Edit: also, anyone know what his rig is like? I know a LARGE part (if not all) of his sound is that it's largely two-handed tapping but I'm curious as to what's on the other end of it

_RH_

Reaction score
1:24 Don't just shrug like what you did wasn't awesome, muchacho.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Anyone know of bands similiar to LT's sound? I love them but don't want to wear out their albums which is a fear I have for any band, but trying to find stuff similar to them is probably impossible.

Edit: also, anyone know what his rig is like? I know a LARGE part (if not all) of his sound is that it's largely two-handed tapping but I'm curious as to what's on the other end of it

No vocals but this stuff is still incredibly beautiful. Enjoy. Musically that's what they remind me of anyways..

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
On a giant LT kick right now, this is probably going to get me to try and fail to learn tapping stuff :yesway:

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score

I've seen him rocking some sort of Orange cabinet, a tiny one at that - it may be one of those combo's like the Rockerverb/Crush but it just looked like a tiny 1x12, could only see the front side of it. I do know he was using some sort of Boss multi-effects pedal, either an ME or a GT (he was wearing those Vibram five-fingers shoes to switch between effects during songs which I thought was pretty hilarious but very economical).

No idea if he's switched to anything better, but of the 3 times i've seen them in small venues he's had a pretty tiny setup as described above. Very minimalist, not a lot of effects going on except maybe tiny amounts of reverb or delay. You're correct in that the majority of his sound comes from his technique, it didn't seem he relied too heavily on his amp to generate his sound, which is pretty f*cking awesome.

P.S. If you want to listen to stuff Josh Martin plays on but don't wanna wear out LT, check out Brock Scott Quartet or Estrela (at least the 3 songs that survive on the internet, that is) - all feature Josh in his early days :)

Matthew

Reaction score
This might be in the wrong place. If so, sorry!

Anyway, this guy is pretty awesome. I haven't listened to much of Little Tybee's music, but what I have heard is fantastic. I like seeing people use extended range for more than brootz (I also love brootz!).

Also, he's rocking a sexy Dell'Isola I've seen around here, but deserves more attention.

I've never been envious of someone's right hand technique this much before!

koalanights

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for checking out and sharing that video! For gear, I use a 1x12 Orange cab with a Rocktron Voodu Valve preamp and a Peavey power amp. The Voodu Valve is super 80s and one day I may be interested in an Axe effects or something more vintage/analog (think Fender Twin with Blue Sky reverb etc.), but I have used this set up for years and I have minimal problems with it. I use an ART midi controller for switching between delays and reverbs and I use its expression pedals for swelling volume/reverb/gain.

I basically made a conscious attempt to focus on playing rather than the infinite gear obsession I knew I would have no trouble cultivating, so I've just stuck with the same amp set up since high school. I'm glad I've done it that way for the most part, but I do have some real deficits when it comes to gear knowledge.

Anyway I really appreciate the kind words, we should have a lot of new stuff coming out very soon. I'm going to post more guitar vids (a butterfly tapping one) and Little Tybee just shot some new vids for Red Bull, so hopefully those will be hitting the internets in the near future. The new stuff has tons of the under-strumming technique and I try to mix it together with everything else, forming a sloppy soup of what having no social life sounds like! : ) Thanks again y'all!

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
:bowdown:

Since I have a bad habit of "geeking out" with people whose work I appreciate, I'd just like to ask one question: any plans of doing a DVD from the "Live at the Goat Farm" stuff? I watched the "Castle/Left Right" video and it'd be wicked to see a full concert of it.

asher

So Did We
Reaction score
:bowdown:

Since I have a bad habit of "geeking out" with people whose work I appreciate, I'd just like to ask one question: any plans of doing a DVD from the "Live at the Goat Farm" stuff? I watched the "Castle/Left Right" video and it'd be wicked to see a full concert of it.

Seconded!

Also, a question, since it can be kind of hard to tell in full mixes/my ear isn't that great: how do you find yourself using the extra two strings on the 8? Are you going two lows or low/high?

Opion

Sir Mattafer
Reaction score
Ahh rad, awesome to know I was sorta-kinda right! Super stoked on some new stuff!

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Dude that's crazy, because one of my good buddies back in the usa (who is actually the best guitarist that I know personally (sometimes I think he has sevantism (sometimes I think he has some kind of autism))) is also named Josh Martin. But he just shreds neo-classical wankery (<--positive nuance) over classical music in his garage. And makes the most hilarious bitstrips. I know everyone hates those things but his are just hysterical.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I love his musical ideas and styles he demonstrates in his solo videos, but I always found Little Tybee a total letdown and waste of his talents. I'd much rather he made solo guitar music, but whatever.