The Mars Volta Appreication Thread

• Thread starter 7 Strings of Hate
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

in-pursuit

Reaction score
I'm a very big fan of Omars guitar work, really inventive and talented with absolutely zero wank. just great psychadelic guitar playing, almost Hendrix-ish in parts I would say.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ethn Hayabusa

Reaction score
I like a handful of songs. The singing is not my favorite, but there is a lot of quality material in their catalogue.

IamSatai

Reaction score
This band blows my mind. I don't even know how to describe it, It's just perfect. De-loused, Frances and Amputecture had a top spot on the list at various times, but I think De-loused hits the spot time after time. I am pretty sure I have listened to that album over 100 times. There was a solid 2 months I listened to that album at least twice a day.

mountainjam

Reaction score
Bedlam in goliath still leaves me speachless...wish they still had the drummer from this album.

stevemcqueen

Namby Pamby
Reaction score
It took me a couple listens when I first heard them but this was during my akward transition from metalcore to prog. Francis The Mute and De-Loused were by far my favorite, with Amputechture coming in close. I wasn't a huge fan of what they released after that. I am also a HUGE fan of At The Drive-In. Omar and Cedric are just the dynamic duo!

Lagtastic

Five Align
Reaction score
I really like De-Loused, Frances, and Amputecture. Raw emotion and power. Seeing them live is a treat. Experiencing a non-musician crowd trying to clap along with a song in 15/16 is hilarious.

Omar does some serious tap dancing on stage, while leading the band through improv. Check out his pedalboards.

281626008driicjph8lk.jpg

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Quality band that I really like.

I also like this (which is a joke in case you watch it and get pissed):

Omarfan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I love The Mars Volta. Was just wondering if there are any other people who love Omar Rodriguez-Lopez's guitar playing as much as me. ;)

Mukersman

Reaction score
I love Frances the Mute, so where should I go from here?

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
probably deloused since it's probably the most abstract one after frances.

octahedron is becoming my favorite steadily. they cut out a lot of the fat imo and just focused on writing great songs with this album.

Blake1970

Reaction score
I think De-Loused in the Comatorium will always be my favorite. I just want to crank that shit up!

Omarfan

Reaction score
I love Frances the Mute, so where should I go from here?
If you like the longer, epic type songs like Cassandra and Cygnus, I would suggest Amputechture which is the only other one where they do long crazy songs like that really. Deloused would be a good one to go to next as well, though it's more accessible and "easier."

willow

Reaction score
De-Loused is their strongest imo. It flows so nicely and every track is as good as the next. Frances the Mute comes in second for me. Then Bedlam. Tbh I don't really rate their other records very highly.

Omar's solo release 'Old Money' is quality, and trippy as fuck.

Murdstone

Sycamore Trees
Reaction score
I thought Octahedron was awful. I can safely say though that this band shaped my teen years. Frances and Deloused are amazing, Amputechture is just shy of amazing, and Bedlam eventually grew on me.

stevemcqueen

Namby Pamby
Reaction score
Early Mars Volta and the last two albums At The Drive-In put out I really loved. I wasn't big on the first ATDI and the last couple albums from TMV though, unfortunately. They were one of the first bands that I started listening to that really had a lot of talent. They were influencial in getting me out of my metalcore days and into my more progressive metal/ambient/indie tastes that I listen to these days.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
new album coming out the same day as Meshuggah, March 27

It's called "Noctourniquet"

Brodessa

Like a Lion.
Reaction score
The Mars Volta are one of, if not my favorite bands.

Start with De-Loused In the Comatorium, then go to Frances the Mute.
If you couldn't vibe with Frances the Mute too much, skip to The Bedlam In Goliath.
And continue on their discography from there.

De-Loused is my favorite, with Noctourniquet and Frances the Mute tied for 2nd.
Noctourniquet was the biggest and best grower album I've ever experienced.

Octahedron is incredible as well.. just softer than what people are accustomed to. Omar and Cedric describe it as their "acoustic" album, even though it is far from that.

Amputechture has a lot of really good parts, but I think falls a little flat at most times.
The Bedlam In Goliath is true to De-Loused in some ways, but definitely has its own flair.

Enjoy, my friend! They were an incredible band.

Latest posts