The new Ibanez SR7VIISC Bass/Guitar Hybrid

• Thread starter Jazzedout
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
Now that Rich has ordered them, I'm going to talk to some people and sell some stuff to get the money for this.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
A friend of mine already want one :D I don't think I'll get one myself, my 8 string should cover everything this can do and more :)

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
I had a similar idea to this except with a 9 string. Which I still plan on building. Me and my buddy love to do this weird drum and bass prog rock thing everytime we go to a guitar center (the one where we live has a drum set up right next to a bass and the bass portion of the store) and we would always get compliments on our playing even though we where just dicking around. I'd always play the stores 6 string bass, anyways, I figured my buddy and I should do something with that band and I'd love a 9 string for it, lots of low bass notes and still all the range of guitar.

Groff

Medicine Chief/RHLC©
Contributor
Reaction score
I have to give Ibanez credit for this one... Even if they don't produce them, making strange/different concepts for big trade shows is a good way to get things buzzing, and to have a little fun too!

Tuned2F

Spider Pig
Reaction score
I'm gassing for this hard.

It would probably be a great touch guitar, not too over the top but, more suitable for the style than say your standard 7's and 8's.

My only concern right now is a 120 B string on the 30'' scale. Thats going to be extremely muddy with gain. I'd probably get smaller guages and tune it up a few steps. One thing's for certain, if I do get it I will be investing in the Vader 2x15.

frank falbo

Reaction score
I didn't read all the pages of this thread, but I thought I would add that I played it at NAMM, absolutely loved it, and I can slap and fingerpick on it, but I already slap and pop and stuff on my 7-strings. It could be hard for guys with big hands, but personally I loved it! I'm hoping against all hope that they send us one for experimentation on the pickups!

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I didn't read all the pages of this thread, but I thought I would add that I played it at NAMM, absolutely loved it, and I can slap and fingerpick on it, but I already slap and pop and stuff on my 7-strings. It could be hard for guys with big hands, but personally I loved it! I'm hoping against all hope that they send us one for experimentation on the pickups!

Did you get to play it plugged in? What's important is how it sounds, because I can't really imagine what it feels like.

frank falbo

Reaction score
They had it into headphones. They also put their 3-band bass EQ in there, and personally, I would leave it flat most of the time. The high and low boosts would be useful if you were playing it like a bass, but the parametric mids seemed rather peaky. I would use it for a cut but not a boost. Or get that preamp out of there for an Aguilar, Bartolini, or Duncan Basslines with the Slap Contour. All in all it sounded great right off the rack, but more like a bass than a guitar.

twiztedchild

Banned
Reaction score
They had it into headphones. They also put their 3-band bass EQ in there, and personally, I would leave it flat most of the time. The high and low boosts would be useful if you were playing it like a bass, but the parametric mids seemed rather peaky. I would use it for a cut but not a boost. Or get that preamp out of there for an Aguilar, Bartolini, or Duncan Basslines with the Slap Contour. All in all it sounded great right off the rack, but more like a bass than a guitar.

it is a Bass :fawk: :wub: but that is cool at least it sounds good :hbang:

eegor

Theoretical Reality
Reaction score
Rich @ ibanezrules.com. I've already talked to him about it. He says that he gets them in June, iirc.

Xk6m6m5X

Reaction score
this is like the perfect instrument for a guitarist that record all his bass himself for backing track and can get used to a real bass....SHRED BASS:hbang:

Wound

Reaction score
I wonder if this would b any good to put a little lighter strings on and use as a guitar...
It´ll be interresting to see when it´s finally out...I love the look of it, but would like to maybe tune it to the same as my 8 string...Would like a 30" scale...was considering custom, but this might work?

Tom Drinkwater

ERG/ERB Builder
Reaction score
What a cool instrument. Just like my 6 string Danelectro but with a low B. 30 inch instruments are the best!!! I make something similar but with 8 strings:

If Ibanez creates this guitar it would be a good move on their part. There quality is impossible to beat.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score
Mental :| Tuned B E A D G C E. 30.3 scale.

SR7_04.jpg

Setnakt

il Brutto
Reaction score
Short scale, bleh. I'm sure someone will get some use out of it, props to them, but unless it somehow has guitar string spacing I'm inclined to give it :noway: