The nu metal sound! (PRS into Dual & Mini Rectifier)

jaxadam

Reaction score
PRS into Rectos in the 90’s was a huge thing everywhere, from rock, country, metal, you name it. You could get a PRS Custom for about $1500, so they weren’t extremely out of reach. They were very popular all over the music scene, and the dual rec was THE amp. I was coming out of my Jackson worshipping days, and you really started to see PRS and Andersons popping up everywhere.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Also forgot to mention Disturbed. Their best album (Believe) was done with a Singlecut into a Triple Recto. Almost the same exact setup done here. IIRC Drowning Pool's one hit wonder was also Singlecut > Recto. Jim Root also had a small affair with a custom-made CU24 around the Iowa era. Mike Mushok used both PRS AND Ibanez.

It's not a question of which company ruled the nu metal era... They both fucking did. Both PRS and Ibanez. :lol:

Flappydoodle

Reaction score
Brad Delson from Linkin Park always rocked a PRS too

He did also occasionally use Ibanez, but PRS was his main guitar

And I have to assume they're the biggest nu-metal band of all time?

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Speaking of that
@Guitarjon you totally need to legit get a SE Hollowbody II. :lol: I know you said you already got your Zach Myers... But seriously.

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/se_hollowbody_standard_2020

se_hollowbody_standard_2020_hero_large.jpg

se_hollowbody_standard_2020_straight1.png

tenor.gif
I lurv mine.

Dumple Stilzkin

Pointy star bastard.
Reaction score
Forgive me for any repeats but here’s a few. Linkin Park, Disturbed ,Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Lost Prophets, Limp Bizkit, Drowning Pool, Saliva, P.O.D, Chevelle, Staind.

Grindspine

likes pointy things
Reaction score
It's funny how reading this thread just confirms something I suspected; I listened to a ton of nu-metal when I wasn't listening to Gothenburg style melodic death metal for a good span of 1998-2005 or so.

That video is great. I am surprised how tight it sounds with no mention of a tubescreamer style drive in front of it (unless I missed that somehow). I always have to work to tame the low end in the Recto circuit on my Triaxis... Of course, I am also both a PRS and Ibanez user (2014 P24 in blood orange, 2017 CE24 blackout nitro, RGD2127, RG3727, RGDR3127). Both of those guitar types work great for that era of music. I prefer my 6 stringers as PRS and my 7s as Ibanez though.

Abominorg the Grotesque

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I am surprised how tight it sounds with no mention of a tubescreamer style drive in front of it (unless I missed that somehow). I always have to work to tame the low end in the Recto circuit on my Triaxis...
I think quite a few of the nu metal bands would forego the Tubescreamer. The tubescreamer-less recto with that round and slightly fuzzy tone was basically the nu metal guitar tone.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Speaking of that
@Guitarjon you totally need to legit get a SE Hollowbody II. :lol: I know you said you already got your Zach Myers... But seriously.

https://www.prsguitars.com/index.php/electrics/model/se_hollowbody_standard_2020

se_hollowbody_standard_2020_hero_large.jpg

se_hollowbody_standard_2020_straight1.png

tenor.gif

DROOL! These look really cool but at the moment I'm gassing for an SE 245 in charcoal burst. Those seem cool! The video from the Indonesian PRS factory gave me a lot of gas for a new SE!

I think he might have the 277 hollow as well!!

Also Linkin Park did the PRS/Recto thing in that era as well.

Yes that's correct! It's a very unique beast though, because of the P90s.

Also forgot to mention Disturbed. Their best album (Believe) was done with a Singlecut into a Triple Recto. Almost the same exact setup done here. IIRC Drowning Pool's one hit wonder was also Singlecut > Recto. Jim Root also had a small affair with a custom-made CU24 around the Iowa era. Mike Mushok used both PRS AND Ibanez.

It's not a question of which company ruled the nu metal era... They both fucking did. Both PRS and Ibanez. :lol:

True dat

Yeah, I just never was a fan. I did mention them in the vid though

Forgive me for any repeats but here’s a few. Linkin Park, Disturbed ,Three Days Grace, Breaking Benjamin, Lost Prophets, Limp Bizkit, Drowning Pool, Saliva, P.O.D, Chevelle, Staind.

Yup! Love Breaking Benjamin too btw.

I think quite a few of the nu metal bands would forego the Tubescreamer. The tubescreamer-less recto with that round and slightly fuzzy tone was basically the nu metal guitar tone.

I was never a fan of a boosted Recto. I just love that raw Recto sound too much. With a tubescreamer it just sounds more generic, like how a lot of guys want to sound these days. Everything has to be toit toit toit but there goes the character and hugeness of your amp....

Lozek

Desk Magnetic
Contributor
Reaction score
PRS were definitely behind the artists using their guitars. I remember an interview with Ace from Skunk Anansie a few years back, he was in the frame for the Limp Bizkit job when Wes left and was immediately invited to the PRS factory before he even auditioned. As he was leaving, they gave him his two favourite guitars from playing stuff as he went round.

Reaction score
I always associated ESPs and Gibson Gothics with nu metal. Yeah PRS was all up in there but I got into guitar during the nu metal era, had ESP baritone and wanted a Gibson Gothic Flying V with a burning passion

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

Probably LP for sure. It's either them or Limp Bizkit. Korn pioneered the genre but those 2 bands fucking made the genre skyrocket.

Also Brad mostly used the Ibbys for drop tuned stuff. His PRS guitars were always used for his main C#, D#, and later on drop D tunings. He used Ibbys for drop B and standard B and later completely phased them out by the time M2M came out, and later replaced them with some modded PRS guitars when he went back to using B tuning years later.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
PRS were definitely behind the artists using their guitars. I remember an interview with Ace from Skunk Anansie a few years back, he was in the frame for the Limp Bizkit job when Wes left and was immediately invited to the PRS factory before he even auditioned. As he was leaving, they gave him his two favourite guitars from playing stuff as he went round.

Imagine that! Haha damn... He's a cool player though! I don't think he'd be the best fit for Limp Bizkit though.

Awesome video and production Jon !

Sounded great !

Mike

Cheers Mike!

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Back when I was stationed in the FL panhandle, I saw Sevendust open for Creed in the late 90s at a bar called Seville Quarter (IIRC) in Pensacola. Sevendust was just crushing. And Creed was really good. That first album had some bangers, especially live. I think 7D was playing Ibanez at the time but I could easily be misremembering.

Great video @Guitarjon . I’ve always dug the sound of a PRS into a Recto.

I also remember driving by the base theater (at Hurlburt? Hill? Idk) and hearing a band practicing. I went in and sat down and listened for a bit. The guitarist/singer was using a Rectifier (and a PRS iirc) and I loved it. I think they were called Shadetree.

Ahhh. Memories.

Edit: heh 21 Dec 1997. Fuck, I’m old.
8C44C9F8-7F6B-43AD-8186-AC6D077D7910.jpeg

Last edited:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Back when I was stationed in the FL panhandle, I saw Sevendust open for Creed in the late 90s at a bar called Seville Quarter (IIRC) in Pensacola. Sevendust was just crushing. And Creed was really good. That first album had some bangers, especially live. I think 7D was playing Ibanez at the time but I could easily be misremembering.

Great video @Guitarjon . I’ve always dug the sound of a PRS into a Recto.

I also remember driving by the base theater (at Hurlburt? Hill? Idk) and hearing a band practicing. I went in and sat down and listened for a bit. The guitarist/singer was using a Rectifier (and a PRS iirc) and I loved it. I think they were called Shadetree.

Ahhh. Memories.

Edit: heh 21 Dec 1997. Fuck, I’m old.
View attachment 92077

I think 7D used either Epiphone or ESP at the time. Hell Mark Tremonti was still using his Les Pauls at the time too.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
I think 7D used either Epiphone or ESP at the time. Hell Mark Tremonti was still using his Les Pauls at the time too.

Oh yeah, I remember the Sevendust Epiphone ads from the Guitar World magazines years ago. I also remember seeing ads from Randall with Sevendust. I still have all those mags. It's fun to go back sometimes and read all those interviews.