The Official Agile ERG Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
very nice color combination, hoping for a fan of the 9 eventually, for us that prefer C#, probably have to be like a 30 or 31? to 27?

30" works great for me, now for the string I'm guessing they didn't have a guitar string thick enough for C#1 so they substituted another high E for photo purposes, since that looks like a 28.625" scale to me and the file name is Intrepid 9284. Also I very much doubt Kurt bought high A strings from Garry, since Garry himself was asking me what tuning was being used on this instrument.

Explorer

He seldomly knows...
Reaction score
Formerly from Cucaramacatacatirimilcote...
and another fun project...
intrepid9284.jpg

My big hope for this would be that Kurt would decide to put two bass tuners on the two bottom strings. If I had to drill out my tuners just to accommodate something above .069, I would rather just avoid any problems with larger strings by having the tuners (and the string-through-body holes) done right in the first place.

I'm still very happy with my ebony fingerboarded Intrepid Pro with dual Cepheus pickups, so it would take some improvements to get me to move on another one at this point....

Adam

Contributor
Reaction score
My big hope for this would be that Kurt would decide to put two bass tuners on the two bottom strings. If I had to drill out my tuners just to accommodate something above .069, I would rather just avoid any problems with larger strings by having the tuners (and the string-through-body holes) done right in the first place.

I'm still very happy with my ebony fingerboarded Intrepid Pro with dual Cepheus pickups, so it would take some improvements to get me to move on another one at this point....

Just unwind the strings after the nut its much easier than you think. I still do that on my 11 and it has bass tuners for its 4 lowest strings. A problem I found with not unwinding strings larger than .100 its that they would break where it bends when wrapping around the tuner, and unwrapping the first winding relieved some of that stress. This is not an issue for basses though since by the time the string reaches the tuners they have already tapered thin enough to avoid this problem. But we're dealing with instruments with less than 34" scale lengths.

Hoff

Reaction score
i fear im just not creative enough for 9 strings haha. btw what body wood is that? it's fuckin gorgeous and i want it.

I'm guessing maple with a clear coat of some sort, since the patterns in the grain looks a bit like the fretboard.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i fear im just not creative enough for 9 strings haha. btw what body wood is that? it's fuckin gorgeous and i want it.

It looks like some unfinished scrap they had lying around, most likely a cheaper wood such as poplar, agathis, etc.

It is an unfinished prototype after all.

E Lucevan Le Stelle

in love with Judas
Reaction score
I can't really see how I would use a 9 to be honest - C#1 is just a bit low to be really usable through a guitar rig without split pickups IMO and that guitar would really need a fanned board in order to handle a high A. Not to mention I don't think I could really write anything with it other than "lower-than-thou" really generic extreme metal or just using it as a Chapman stick equivalent (which is an instrument that HAS really interested me though...), so all in all I might have talked myself into considering it :p

I will, however, be getting one (or two!) of the fanned 8s when they come out :) I experimented with an 8 and realised that, for me, I'd really need fanned frets to make it terribly usable for what I want.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
A high A should be doable at that scale with a Goodman string. That's what I'd do with it. I'd still really prefer a fanned design, though. But it's really neat that it's even going to be offered at all.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I have no need for a fanned 8, but I agree a fanned 9 would work best. That being said, if I could get a GG string on there for the high A, that would be just fine. I just don't trust myself to tune it up at 27" or > and not break it. But I agree, I have no need for an even lower string!

SYLrules88

I play drums!
Reaction score
i agree with space frog. i want that exact 9! for being a prototype, it still looks sexy. that body looks like ivory to me :lol:

i could get by without a fanned 9. id just tune it down a step so it would be E to G. still might be tough to get the G on a scale beyond 27. but i wouldnt know, ive never tried. i need to experiment and see the highest i can get on my 28 5/8"s intrepid.

Richie666

Reaction score
Should have my intrepid coming in tomorrow :) NGD soon to follow

That 9 string intrepid looks sweet! Looks like marble

space frog

Reaction score
i agree with space frog. i want that exact 9! for being a prototype, it still looks sexy. that body looks like ivory to me :lol:

i could get by without a fanned 9. id just tune it down a step so it would be E to G. still might be tough to get the G on a scale beyond 27. but i wouldnt know, ive never tried. i need to experiment and see the highest i can get on my 28 5/8"s intrepid.

I tuned my 8 from low G# to high F# with a .008 string I think, and it's a 28.625" scale intrepid, so it would definitely be doable.

Hypothermia

Random Swede
Reaction score
Didn't know where to post this but i hope this is right.

I've put down the deposit for an Agile Septor 827 that will arrive in september and i am seriously considering upgrading to Blackouts when i get the guitar (even if i have heard lots of good things about the original pups, i do love the sound of blackouts). However, i was thinking about how much of a problem there would be to change to Active pickups, would i need to make a battery cabinet or could i just have the battery next to the input routing?

I'm a real noob when it comes to modifications and routing.:wavey: