The Official SS.org Jazz-lines resource.

• Thread starter distressed_romeo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kung_fu

Vulcan Lute God
Reaction score
Not sure why i haven't been contributing to this thread :scratch:. Anyways, just got back from the shop with a new axe so here goes:

Code:
12-12---|--10--------------------------------10----10-12-|
--------|-----12-8------------10-12-10-12-13----12-------|
--------|----------10------10----------------------------|
--------|-------------12-9-------------------------------|
--------|------------------------------------------------|
--------|------------------------------------------------|

--15-||
-----||
-----||
-----||
-----||
-----||

jjjsssxxx

Reaction score
from Jerry Bergonzi’s book “Developing A Jazz Language”

They're all written for Bb 7, but can easily be transposed to work over any dominant chord or its relative minor (F-7 for Bb7).

Treble staff, no tab.

Attachments

• dom-7th-lines.pdf
    27.8 KB · Views: 61

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Arterial

Dreamer
Reaction score
hey guys, im an absolute durr-head when it comes to theory (i can read notes, intervals and all that basic stuff), but im primarily a tab guy..so more tabs would be lovely :)

DarkMythras

Reaction score
I have a ton of backing tracks from my alto teacher back in high school. Its in G but there are tons of tracks of a rhythm section (bass, drums, piano) playing over changes, from a simple blues or I-VI-II-V to more crazy stuff like use of secondary dominants or tritone substitutions. And it's got bossa sections of every mode ;)
If anyone is interested PM me. It's probably upwards of 500 MB worth of mp3's but I can upload it if anyone is interested!

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I have a ton of backing tracks from my alto teacher back in high school. Its in G but there are tons of tracks of a rhythm section (bass, drums, piano) playing over changes, from a simple blues or I-VI-II-V to more crazy stuff like use of secondary dominants or tritone substitutions. And it's got bossa sections of every mode ;)
If anyone is interested PM me. It's probably upwards of 500 MB worth of mp3's but I can upload it if anyone is interested!

Could you make a torrent file out of it? You can host it on Mininova.

MeriTone Music

Reaction score
I had this idea last night...

Basically, we all contribute short jazz lines that we've either transcribed from CDs or developed ourselves. Hopefully after a while we'll have an big resource for lines you can use over all the typical jazz sequences (2-5s, 5-1s, 2-5-1s, 3-6-2-5-1s, 1-6-2-5-1s, Coltrane changes, chromatic descents, 12-bar, turnarounds, etc.).

I'm not sure what the copyright laws are for things like this, so it may be best to just say who you got the lick from, rather than what specific recording you transcribed it from...

I'll go first...

Here's a Charlie Parker lick I transcribed last night that's played over a V7-I7 set of changes, although it would also work over a normal V7-I.

GREAT idea..

Here's a symmetric diminished sequence you can play on dominant chords (5s) and 13ths etc... popular with sax and piano players...

and how about this classic bebop 2-5-1 jazz lick

and this minor 2-5-1 jazz lick

ENJOY :shred:

Ambit

Beansack!
Reaction score
Hey guys. I'd like to start getting into jazz guitar. Does anyone know of a good (free) website or something where I can start to learn? These licks and stuff are great, but I'd like to find something in-depth. Thanks!

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
I dunno what you call the general idea, but it's kinda jazzy.

Basically you play a couple notes with rests between most of the notes. Think something a horn might play. You can use that one scale from the YouTube video where the guy shows you how to play outside of the key center so long so you resolve to a chord tone. I forget what it's called, but there is a classical idea where you can resolve a minor idea to the major third that might sound good as well.

Even cooler if the notes you play contribute to an interesting theme and great to break up the general monotony of endless notes. Helps break up the solo and allows you to go down a different path.

I know it's not really much of a lick so much as an idea, but just thought I'd share cuz it seems kinda jazzy to me.