The picking path.. straight line or arching down the strings?

• Thread starter Zender
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zender

Tinkering, please hold.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently my teacher noticed something in my playing technique that differs wildly from his, and I'd like to discuss it here to gain some more insights.

The difference: When I play a scale from 6th to 1st string (so from low E to high e) and muting all the strings with my palm, I start picking roughly half an inch from the neck pickup (the position my pick makes contact with the string), and as I move down the strings, my pick moves in a slight arch. So by the time I'm on the highest string, I might be a full inch from the neck-pickup. So i more or less rotate around the place where I rest my palm on the bridge.

My teacher (self-taught metal player without formal training but with decades of experience) more or less extends his picking hand and thumb+index slightly. As a result, he picks in a straight line down the strings. half inch on the low E is exactly where he also ends up on the high e.

Now I can imagine both techniques having their merits, but I'm wondering. Is this something you (as a teacher or player) every payed attention to, and what is your reasoning behind it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
This particular aspect of picking will have an impact on tone, as picking closer to the bridge will be a bit brighter, even if only half an inch. Otherwise, I don't think this matters as long as you can reach all the strings as needed.

Check out Troy Grady's site Cracking the Code for more about picking, and maybe even ask this over on their forum.

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
This particular aspect of picking will have an impact on tone, as picking closer to the bridge will be a bit brighter, even if only half an inch. Otherwise, I don't think this matters as long as you can reach all the strings as needed.

Check out Troy Grady's site Cracking the Code for more about picking, and maybe even ask this over on their forum.

This. If the small tonal changes don't bother you then I'd focus more on the distance you travel from the string when you pick it. The further your pick ends up from the string, the more wasted energy to come back to it if you pick it again.

Latest posts