The picking technique thread

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
For folks like me who feel super drained at the end of a long day, here's an exercise that helped me a lot that requires no thinking whatsoever (any three strings, anywhere on the neck, simple power chord shape, alternate picking):

------------5----------------5---------------5--------
-------5-------5--------5------5--------5-----5-----
---3---------------3----------------3-----------------

That's all it takes to entrain the basics of alternating slant/escape. You'll quickly start changing the notes and trying different variations to keep some harmonic motion/avoid boredom, as OP pointed out, but can always come back to the basic pattern when your conscious brain doesn't want to think about it.

I might just be talking to myself, but hope that helps someone.

I just tried this exercise just now while practicing and I usually do a few similar patterns. Just for fun while I was trying this though I tried starting the pattern on an upstroke instead of a downstroke and it very quickly became a nightmare lol. Starting on a downstroke with that upstroke in the middle feels fine, but reversed this is pretty hard.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HoneyNut

Regular
Reaction score
I just tried this exercise just now while practicing and I usually do a few similar patterns. Just for fun while I was trying this though I tried starting the pattern on an upstroke instead of a downstroke and it very quickly became a nightmare lol. Starting on a downstroke with that upstroke in the middle feels fine, but reversed this is pretty hard.

Like the 2 nps pentatonic lick - its really tough for me to start with a downstroke, the traditional, honorable way. But I turn into Eric Johnson if i do it with a upstroke instantly. Heck, Ive been practicing it starting with a downstroke for over decade, AT LEAST. But just swithced to starting this 2 nps for the first time with genuin effort with an upstroke. my lick vocab just opened up overnight. I even noticed my band members noticing my new pentatonic runs all of a sudden.

Stiman

Reaction score
Something that I don't see talked about much but that I sortof discovered recently (2 weeks ago) that has made a monumental difference to my ability to alt pick fast and more consistently, is having very little pick sticking out from my fingers.

I know this can be different for each person and their particular biomechanics and such, but wow, what a difference it has made for me. I'm now able to pick pretty consistently with any pick (I used to only be able to play well with specific picks), and can play especially more consistently with my chosen pick.

It also helps keeping other strings from accidentally ringing out.

I wanted to bring this up because it has been a game changer for me, and like I said, I never really see enough attention put on this aspect in all the "how to hold a pick" content/videos.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Something that I don't see talked about much but that I sortof discovered recently (2 weeks ago) that has made a monumental difference to my ability to alt pick fast and more consistently, is having very little pick sticking out from my fingers.

I know this can be different for each person and their particular biomechanics and such, but wow, what a difference it has made for me. I'm now able to pick pretty consistently with any pick (I used to only be able to play well with specific picks), and can play especially more consistently with my chosen pick.

It also helps keeping other strings from accidentally ringing out.

I wanted to bring this up because it has been a game changer for me, and like I said, I never really see enough attention put on this aspect in all the "how to hold a pick" content/videos.

I agree, there aren't a lot of videos on this subject. I know what you mean though, this was something that I gravitated towards early on. I used to use regular size picks but always found myself adjusting them to have just a small amount sticking out and the rest felt clunky in my fingers. I eventually discovered Jazz III's and have been with them ever since. Even these though I don't like a lot sticking out still.

While on this topic though, it makes me wonder how much attention people actually pay to how much of their pick is actually hitting the string. I used to actively try to make myself use as little of it as possible while still getting a good attack. I've seen some people who really dig into the strings pretty deep and still manage to play fast but it just seems like so much extra work to me. Granted, there are players way faster than me that do this so maybe I shouldn't pay it too much thought?

Stiman

Reaction score
Granted, there are players way faster than me that do this so maybe I shouldn't pay it too much thought?

Yeah, I think this is where everyone needs to do what works best for them. There are extremely fast players that use 2.0+ mm picks, and others that are just as fast with 0.6 mm picks, so there's no "right" way.

I think it was in a Rusty Cooley interview I watched recently where he mentioned that the pick should only go as deep as the thickness of the string. This comment was a lightbulb moment for me.

abstractSettings

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
the pick should only go as deep as the thickness of the string. This comment was a lightbulb moment for me.
That may be a good advice, in general. The fact is, the deeper the pick goes the more articulation it produces. Picking the string with a very tip results in emotionless, lifeless sounding lick. If a guy is into metal, i believe he would not want his picking sound like "lil' Liz jumping in daisies". 😁With that in mind, i would suggest keep practicing the exercise and (the most importantly) other exercises, sink that pick a little deeper, do not be shy. Within 3 to 6 months (based on how religiously you practice) it would become way more natural even in higher tempos.

CannibalCricket

Scabs, locks, strings--picking things
Reaction score
Yngwie is maybe not the greatest example of this, though, in that he acrually has a very specific set of motions that can do certain things very well, and certain other things almost not at all, and his style is lhugely influenced by this.

Though, to your broader point, focusing on what works for you, and not wortrying abouty what doesn't work for youy just because it works for Player X or Player Y, is fertile ground to find your own style... but, it's certainly a lot easier to do this when you understand WHY you can play one thing effortlessly, but not another.
So what should i focus on in the early stages of this process? Is one technique like alt picking better than economy? Should i pick one and stick with it or try to do a bit of everything?

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
So what should i focus on in the early stages of this process? Is one technique like alt picking better than economy? Should i pick one and stick with it or try to do a bit of everything?

From the impression I've gotten from a lot of people the foundation of alternate picking is great to go on before moving to the other stuff. Problem is I plateau'd years ago with alternate picking and economy has been the only thing to break it down for me personally. I know this isn't a huge deal but I love the sound of strict alternate so I wish I could get there.

vark

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
design some exercises to work on the motions you struggle with the most, and focus on accenting the notes you have the most trouble with, practice both slow and fast and let your wrist figure out the motion naturally

CannibalCricket

Reaction score
From the impression I've gotten from a lot of people the foundation of alternate picking is great to go on before moving to the other stuff. Problem is I plateau'd years ago with alternate picking and economy has been the only thing to break it down for me personally. I know this isn't a huge deal but I love the sound of strict alternate so I wish I could get there.
Thanks. I know most of this is about preferance I just hear about how there are better ways to put techniques into play and then there is the worry that i'm doing something incorrect and then have to spend time unlearning. Mostly just trying to find the best way to move forward without taking steps back.

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
I'd say go for alternate first, because it's easier to switch to economy picking later than the other way around. While economy picking may seem easier, some solos may be really hard to play without alternate picking technique.

CannibalCricket

Reaction score
I'd say go for alternate first, because it's easier to switch to economy picking later than the other way around. While economy picking may seem easier, some solos may be really hard to play without alternate picking technique.
That's exactly what is happening. Economy picking just kind of happened naturally for me without understanding what i was doing. Switching to alternate picking felt like i was starting from scratch but it sounded better sometimes. Then I'll stick with alt picking.Thanks for narrowing my focus

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
It's not really about the sound, but the access to strings. Sometimes it's better to use upstroke even if downstroke would've worked as well, but might have left your picking hand in less convenient position before hitting the next string.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
It's not really about the sound, but the access to strings. Sometimes it's better to use upstroke even if downstroke would've worked as well, but might have left your picking hand in less convenient position before hitting the next string.

I think it varies by player quite a bit though. Obviously guys like John Petrucci or Rick Graham can do both. Michael Angelo Batio just brute forces through shapes with alternate picking that would make way more sense with economy, ie. lines with an odd number of notes (3 notes per string, etc). That weird wrist pivoting thing him and a few others do as they move through the strings is just so unnatural feeling to me.

The draw for sound is certainly still sought after in strict alternate though. Alexi is kinda known for doing the brute force alternate picking thing too and it's kind of the staple of his lead sound. Greg Burgess from Allegaeon does it too. If you're really good at both it becomes just a matter of how you want a line or set of lines to sound. Do you want it to sound smooth and flow very well? Probably economy. Do you want each note to sound articulated and well pronounced? Probably alternate.

You can with enough practice get them to sound pretty close, but I don't think anyone can get it perfect. Rick Graham comes about as close to this as it gets but even he would tell you there's a different tonal quality between them.

Really just splitting hairs here though because I'm bored at work. At the end of the day you probably should choose which to use based on what you're playing, just wanted to chime in and say the sound is a factor too sometimes.

CannibalCricket

Reaction score
When I said sound I also meant feel as well. Sorry not very descriptive. Sometimes it sounds correct economy picking other times my fingers feel like they flow naturally but the sound is not what I am after. I got it though. Now just making my fretting obey while staying focused on strict alt picking. Any suggestions on how to stay loose? I feel everything from my fingers and wrist to my jaw getting tense.

cthsqd

Cthulhu Squadron
Reaction score
I think it varies by player quite a bit though. Obviously guys like [...]
Please, keep Michael Angelo Batio out of this, freaks of nature don't count 🤣
but true, though I decided not to dwell on it in order to provide a more applicable answer.

When I said sound I also meant feel as well. Sorry not very descriptive. Sometimes it sounds correct economy picking other times my fingers feel like they flow naturally but the sound is not what I am after. I got it though. Now just making my fretting obey while staying focused on strict alt picking. Any suggestions on how to stay loose? I feel everything from my fingers and wrist to my jaw getting tense.
That's another matter 😉 muscle tension in the early learning stage is your no1 enemy, because it's REALLY hard to unlearn engaging unnecesary muscles.
I've (still am) learned this the hard way..
So save yourself wasted years and look for some lessons before you start. In my case the milestone was to learn about the pick escape path (upstroke / downstroke). Example lesson ->

after you get the general idea, all the rest is just the usual, slow to faster workhours 😉

Last edited: