You want TesseracT+Periphery gigs in Europe in 2010?

• Hell yes!

Votes: 52 61.9%
  • I'm just jealous because I don't live in Europe

Votes: 32 38.1%

• Total voters

A-Branger

Reaction score
Absolutely amazing album.

In regards to the guitar tone, I can't help think that what people are hearing is actually the bass... like it's got some kind of drive on top of it.

that happens with most bands. Either the main sound is bass or its complementing the guitar so well that its part of the tone tht ppl try to emulate adding too much bass to their mixes or amps without knowing you need the extra instrument

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bozothedeathmachine

Reaction score
In regards to the guitar tone, I can't help think that what people are hearing is actually the bass... like it's got some kind of drive on top of it.

I paid a lot of attention to this in the last listen. I hear both bass and split pickup. Split pickups add more percussive effect on the attack and just about every note Amos plays has a nice slappy percussion to it. Mix the two, et viola.

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
I paid a lot of attention to this in the last listen. I hear both bass and split pickup. Split pickups add more percussive effect on the attack and just about every note Amos plays has a nice slappy percussion to it. Mix the two, et viola.

It is definitely this. The bass tone is great but there is also split coil sounds on the guitars at certain points.

Amos always has a great bass tone. He has used several different setups that I am aware of and always ends up with great tone.

lawizeg

Reaction score
Okay, I haven't been on here in months.

Wanted to see what you guys thought, because I'm enjoying Hexes, Tourniquet, Survival, and Seven Names SO MUCH.

Altered State is better IMO though. I think maybe Ashe is a better fit for Tesseract overall, it's just Dan has the aggression. But Ashe can do the emotional thing much better.

VigilSerus

Guys gals n guitars
Reaction score
I'm just sitting here contemplating how Ashe's vocals would have sounded on Tourniquet...

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love the way it is now, but I'm still utterly blown away by the raw talent and perfect fit Ashe's voice was for TesseracT. The vocal layers man. THE LAYERSSSS.

turbo_4i4ka

Reaction score
#botharebetteract? Come on, Altered State was a mind-blowing album and so is Polaris. I guess I'm the only one who likes both vocalists equally. :D

IChuckFinleyI

Banned
Reaction score
I love Faith No More, but have always hated "Epic". I like all the songs on the album except for that Epic'ish one. It's a pretty big blemish on an otherwise great album.

gorthul

Reaction score
To me Polaris seems to be better than Altered State, but still my favorite is One.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
To me Polaris seems to be better than Altered State, but still my favorite is One.
I'm on this boat as well.

Also, that rap-metal part. :lol: Hoo boy...

At least I really liked Survival and Tourniquet, and Messenger, Cages, and Seven Names were alright.

big_aug

Reaction score
Survival is by far my favorite track. The album does kind of run together though. I still like it.

Dayviewer

Mr. Djelecaster
Reaction score
Same here, the thing is I like One the most because it has a lot of clear ''parts'' in songs, you could easily say like ''this is the intro/verse/chorus/bridge'' or a variation on it.

I liked Altered State but to me it felt more like one blur of soundscapes, grooves and vocal layers, which made it hard for me to determine ''where I was'' on the record, or whatever :lol:

Although Polaris still has some of that, some songs and parts do feel more distinct and recognizable again which I'm very happy with, but in this aspect I still think One is the best out of the 3 (for me)

I guess I really just like structure :wavey:

Tr3vor

Reaction score
So who didn't hate the rap metal part? :lol:

:wavey:

Utopia is my favorite song on the album.

I guess my other favorites would be dystopia, Messenger and Cages. I'm not really a fan of tourniquet, its a bit too whiny for me.

I still think that Altered State is the best Tesseract Album. I don't wanna be that guy who compares the two vocalists, so I won't. Both are great. One is my least favorite, even though its still good. The mix or something just doesn't sit right with my ears on that one.

stopwhispering

Reaction score
Overall I love the band and really like the new album, although It's quite different in places to the previous ones and at times perhaps a little too 'commercial'.

Who hears Radiohead, Queen and Linkin park in there?

TheRileyOBrien

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it is "too" commercial. I think it is appropriately commercial. If they keep catering to the same crowd it gets boring for everyone. I love what they did.

andyjanson

Reaction score
Well I had a listen through today. Got to say, fairly underwhelmed. I found it pretty boring for the most part, and I don't like Dan's vocals anywhere near as much as I liked Ashe's. The whole run time seemed to pass with fairly run of the mill tesseractisms without any bits that really stood out. I've seen it mentioned before, and I have to say I kind of agree when people say Dan doesn't really write particularly good vocal lines. Thinking back to altered state, there were lots of really great vocal moments like resist or retrospect. Not so much on this one. That said, it's not like I hated it, it had some decent moments and Tourniquet was definately a nice change of pace.