The use of the word "Mint Condition"

• Thread starter David
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Toshiro said:
David, anything that has left the store it was originally purchased from its no longer NEW, period. This whole New is "lightly used" thing is total bullshit.

Used is a term for pre-owned in this industry, anything already sold to someone is pre-owned, therefore used.

Mint is a pre-owned item with no wear, "like new". It can not be sold as new unless you are the original dealer who got it from the factory, IMO.

http://www.elderly.com/vintage/abbreviations.html
Notice the tag over the grading. You do not need to grade new items, bcause they're new. If you buy a new item with wear you got ripped the fuck off.
MINT, from the factory. NEW, as in store-new... store guitars are played a lot... there-fore anything wtih an hour of use I consider new.

What's total bullshit is that your leaving out the use of MINT, and replacing it with the term new.:lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Garry Goodman

8-0ctaves
Reaction score
I think of the coin terminology,"mint" or "Brilliant, Uncirculated"
Mint,is from the mint bag,usally with scratches from rubbing against other coins."Proof" is untouched,mirror finish.As in a sealed proof set.Mint means loose,possible touched."Brilliant uncirculated" means it hasn't been handled much. Something like that.

When I ordered a custom guitar and was told it was finished,I went to the luthier to pick it up.The new strings had already been worn out from the luthier and employees playing it for a few days before I got there.So it wasn't in "proof" condition,but more like "Brilliant Uncirculated" and it was 3 days old.
When I think of "Mint",it would be like getting a guitar shipped to you in the original case from the factory.Handeled just enough to string it up,tune it,plug in an test the electronics,wiped down and put in the case.

If I kept it for a while,played it for 15 minutes maybe once a month,Wiped the strings and body,then sold it,I would say it was more like "B.U.". But guitars aren't minted.........

David

je t'aime
Contributor
Reaction score
Garry Goodman said:
I think of the coin terminology,"mint" or "Brilliant, Uncirculated"
Mint,is from the mint bag,usally with scratches from rubbing against other coins."Proof" is untouched,mirror finish.As in a sealed proof set.Mint means loose,possible touched."Brilliant uncirculated" means it hasn't been handled much. Something like that.

When I ordered a custom guitar and was told it was finished,I went to the luthier to pick it up.The new strings had already been worn out from the luthier and employees playing it for a few days before I got there.So it wasn't in "proof" condition,but more like "Brilliant Uncirculated" and it was 3 days old.
When I think of "Mint",it would be like getting a guitar shipped to you in the original case from the factory.Handeled just enough to string it up,tune it,plug in an test the electronics,wiped down and put in the case.

If I kept it for a while,played it for 15 minutes maybe once a month,Wiped the strings and body,then sold it,I would say it was more like "B.U.". But guitars aren't minted.........

god I love your posts, thanks for that bit of info.=)

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
David said:
MINT, from the factory. NEW, as in store-new... store guitars are played a lot... there-fore anything wtih an hour of use I consider new.

What's total bullshit is that your leaving out the use of MINT, and replacing it with the term new.:lol:

You're using Mint as a term for new items, new by definition should automatically be 'mint'. Used 'new' guitars are store demo, buy at your own risk. That stores get away with selling these as new, at full price, with some of the damages these have is a farse. It seems to be a product of the Mars/GC/etc crowd, since most small shops try to keep the brand new guitars "new". We're talking about the usage of mint in classified ads, which has nothing to do with new, unless you're a dealer.

New: cosmetically perfect, and it's barely been used.
Like-new: comseticlally perfect, works fine but has some use.
Mint Condition: Brand new, still in the box, never been played, straight from the factory.

Notice your own usage of new and mint. :rolleyes:

Dive-Baum

Bite Me Fan Boy!!
Reaction score
I am an avid comic collector and Mint condition means it looks like it did when it rolled out of the production line period. It doesnt mean anything else. If it doesn't look like it just came in a box, it ain't mint. Hell most of the time you buy an axe from the store it isn't in mint condition.