THINGS ARE GETTING DONE?! WTF?! (another vocal mix)

• Thread starter TreWatson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
you can let the ond one just sink down into never-reply-again city.

because i think i did SO much better on this one!

<div style="width:473px; border:solid #999999 1px; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_ExtBG.png')">
<a href='http://www.soundclick.com/cvb8b'>
<div style="background-color:width:460px; height:45px; cursor:pointer; background-image:url('http://www.soundclick.com/images/elogos/SC_460.png');"></div></a>
<div id="lower"><object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="never" allowNetworking="internal" height="60" width="473" data="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf">
<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="never" />
<param name="allowNetworking" value="internal" />
<param name="movie" value="http://www.soundclick.com/player/V2/mp3player.swf" />
<param name="loop" value="false" />
<param name="menu" value="false" />
<param name="quality" value="high" />
<param name="wmode" value="transparent" />
<param name="flashvars" value="playType=single&songid=8633210&scid=8633210&q=hi&ext=1&autoplay=0" />
<param name="scale" value="noscale" />
<param name="salign" value="b" />
<param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />
</object></div></div>

as always, let me know what i can adjust and fix to get an EVEN BETTER mix.

i love this song, it's a personal favorite, and i hope you guys like it too!

it sounds even better with vocals, matter of fact!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoNsTaR

Reaction score
i like it alot, i loved the sound of the clean section, what effects did u use?

also, during the clean stuff around 1:07 got a bit distorted sounding through my speakers, not sure if its ment to be like that.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
i like it alot, i loved the sound of the clean section, what effects did u use?

also, during the clean stuff around 1:07 got a bit distorted sounding through my speakers, not sure if its ment to be like that.
i hit it too hard. we're gonna re-record it, this is just an old track. the VOCALS are what's important. :p

SomeChump

Just a Chump
Reaction score
hmm, It sounds good. I like it, I think the Compression on the Vocals need a little tweaking, the volume levels seem to jump around a little bit. Other than that, I think it sounds good. :)

CynicEidolon

And still he waits..
Reaction score
The vocals are too loud in general and you need to eq the two sounds of the screams differently to get them to sound better together. They seem to have similar sonic content and they shouldn't. Haha.

Zami77

Recording Bro
Reaction score
when you have two diff screams at once, try to pan them and lower the volume on one of them. I'd add a tad more reverb and lower em a bit, especially when theres two of them, they over power way too much. I can barely hear the riffs! Song is awesome by the way :hbang:

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
when you have two diff screams at once, try to pan them and lower the volume on one of them. I'd add a tad more reverb and lower em a bit, especially when theres two of them, they over power way too much. I can barely hear the riffs! Song is awesome by the way :hbang:

i actually hate the panning of two very different sounding parts, it sounds unbalanced. so i appreciate the feedback on that part, but i'll stick to my method, however, i will pay closer attention to the levels and reverb, i knew i needed it. haha.

i use a lot of automation there, so i might just automate the vocal layer to lower until it matches the 1-layer volume. :)

Zami77

Recording Bro
Reaction score
i actually hate the panning of two very different sounding parts, it sounds unbalanced. so i appreciate the feedback on that part, but i'll stick to my method, however, i will pay closer attention to the levels and reverb, i knew i needed it. haha.

i use a lot of automation there, so i might just automate the vocal layer to lower until it matches the 1-layer volume. :)
in response to the panning :fawk:

haha im jk. Panning's not super important, but i really suggest lowering the volume on the vox a few decibels or so, they do cover up all the riffs.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
in response to the panning :fawk:

haha im jk. Panning's not super important, but i really suggest lowering the volume on the vox a few decibels or so, they do cover up all the riffs.

on it, man.

i can show you exactly why I don't pan, and you'll be like "yeah that's make me hate it too"

Slampop

Artist/Producer: IDOLER
Reaction score
dude, nice. some tips...for dual parts do a left and right stereo pan as opposed to the centered panner. spread them differently. like; one is 10% or 20% left and right, and the other is like 40% left and right. it will also open up you mix. :yesway:

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
that might explain it too.

I don't double my vocal Tracks, each is just one track, so i can't pan them anywhere...

so what do i do then?

Slampop

Reaction score
just send it (the mono track) centered to a stereo bus. then do the stereo left and right pan on the bus.

edit, i record vocals in stereo, so i just do it on the track itself. are you saying the vocals are mono tracks?

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
so wait... like, pan the lows left and tyhe highs right? or separater a left and right duplicated take of the same track? because panning the low and highs to two sides sounds AWFUL to me.

sorry for suddenly going n00blet, i just wanna make sure this is absolutely correct.

Slampop

Reaction score
nah, picture this. both are still gonna be "centered" taking up the center of the mix at the same time. but one is "more" centered, spread only 10%, while the other is spread 40%, making them not "fight" as much for the same place...so they are taking up different places in the center/parts of the speaker/stereo spectrum. make sense?

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
i see what you're saying but i mean i was going for a whitechapel-style trilayer thing and to the best of my knowledge, it's all panned like dead center.

I'll give it a shot, but I'm having a bad feeling it's gonna sound unbalanced because of the characteristic od each invividual traack.

EDIT: fixed the volume in the mix. lemme know if it's any better

shredguitar7

Reaction score
hey man, i really really really dig this tune a lot... i think it just needs a little eq over the whole mix.. mind if i play around with it a bit and ill post my take on it in here ?

S-O

t(-.-t)
Reaction score
I know you said focus on vocals, but the distorted guitars are not my thang yet, not bad, just need a bit more meat at the beginning. When all the rest of the elements of the song come together when the vocals come it is not as bad/noticeable.

I like the vocals though. lol. I think you ought to experiment with panning if you haven't already like Slampop and others have said, it may change things up to where you like the vocals, but makes you feel like the guitars and bass need more work. Kind of a 'next level' thing IMO.