Thinking of buying an 8 string...need opinions.

• Thread starter Apex1rg7x
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
So I'm thinking of buying an 8 string finally and cant really decide which route to go. I've played mostly Ibanez 7's but do have an ESP SCT-607b currently. I like the guitar a lot but they are quite bulky compared to an Ibanez. That doesn't bother me so much with the 7 string but I'm worried an 8 will be too noticeable. A few different models I'm considering are the Ibanez M80M, ESP 608b, or possibly a RG2228 or RG852 if I can find a decent used one that's not beat up. I don't have large hands by any means so which one would you guys say has the most comfortable neck and the easiest transition from a 7 string? Thanks.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vick1000

Reaction score
If you like Ibanez, you can't go wrong with a Prestige. You won't find thinner necks than those. The Jacksons have a compoud radius, that is a little more managble toward the nut for chording, and more narrow string spacing in some cases. There are a lot of options in the arena of 8s, best bet is to go somewhere with a great return policy so you can find a good fit.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Banshee 8 has a 28” scale, rather than the 27” of most the guitars mentioned by the OP. Except the M80M, which has the crazy 29+” scale. Just mentioning that in case it’s critical.

If you’re nervous about the transition, 27” might be more comfortable (same as your 607B). To try to get a feel for 28”, you can try transposing some things down half a step and see if you can still comfortably make the stretches.

I’ve had an ESP B8 and have a lot of time with the Ibanez necks (I have an 852). The B8 neck was comfortable for sure. Not as thin as the Ibanez neck, but the Ibanez 8 neck is very wide, and the 852/2228 bridge has a bit wider spacing than the Hipshot 8 hardtail.

So you’ll need to decide whether you’d prefer thin but wide or maybe rounder but narrower.

I had no trouble adjusting to either. I love having the extra string. Don’t know what to do with it, but it’s fun.

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
I'm not as much concerned about the scale length as I am the feel of the neck. Sometimes I think I should just tune my 7 to 8 string tuning and buy another 7 string, haha.

777timesgod

Officially the unofficial Forum Censor
Reaction score
If scale is not an issue then check Agile also, they have some 30" scale 8 strings if I recall but maybe the neck is closer to what you require. If you can play some locally, then you will save trouble later, as 8 strings are not offered by that many companies in comparison with 7s.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
I wouldn't go for a 30" scale lenght if you are new to 8 string. The rg2228 is a very good 8 string and, if you have small hands, the very thin neck and 27" scale would help. The Schechter is also a nice option but has a 28" scale lenght and neck is considerably thicker than the rg2228.

never_2many_strings

Reaction score
If scale is not an issue then check Agile also, they have some 30" scale 8 strings if I recall but maybe the neck is closer to what you require. If you can play some locally, then you will save trouble later, as 8 strings are not offered by that many companies in comparison with 7s.

My Agile 828 Intrepid has a massively thick neck, as well as a 28 5/8" scale, and I'd say that it's a sturdier and better built guitar than the Ibanezes of the equivalent price, but the neck is MASSIVE. It may be an issue for smaller hands. The scale length may be a little long for a first 8, but Rondo offers smaller scale length 8s if it's an issue.

IMO a Prestige Ibanez or a higher end Schecter would be great choices for a first 8. I think that a lot of people get swayed away from 8s because they just play a beat up guitar center off-the-rack rg8, and don't look back. Of course it would be best to try out the higher end models in a store first to see how the necks feel, etc, but since we're talking 8s, that isn't too likely. I'd just make sure that wherever you buy from has a good return policy in case if you wind up deciding that you'd rather stick with 7s.

cip 123

Reaction score
I'm not as much concerned about the scale length as I am the feel of the neck. Sometimes I think I should just tune my 7 to 8 string tuning and buy another 7 string, haha.

You should absolutely be concerned about the Scale length.

8 strings are great fun, but if you get the wrong one it can ruin the entire thing for you. IMO it's not like going out and buying a 6 or a 7 and being like "this is okay not a big fan of this or that" If you're diving in to 8's invest a bit of money and do a bit of research it'll pay off. Don't get a cheap one cause they're not that great. There are a few exceptions, I owned a Schecter C8 deluxe which was one of the best playing guitars I've ever owned. But it was still cheap, looked cheap, and sounded fairly generic.

If you don't have big hands I'd stick with 27", and you can't go wrong with a 2228. They're pretty reasonable used, top specs, top quality.

But if there is one thing I urge you, don't just jump in. Think about "What will I actually feel comfortable on?", it can make or break the 8 string experience.

Joan Maal

Reaction score
Most members will recommend you "that" prestige... the level of satisfaction with these guitars is very high.

And yes, i love mine too

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
Honestly really leaning towards a SC-608b at this point. I have the SCT-607b and a SC-20 and I love those models. Can end up with the Steph sig trifecta, haha.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
One thing about the 8-string LTDs: I believe they use dual truss rods. I have no clue why or whether that’s generally “good” or “bad,” but it is something you’ll have to deal with when setting them up.

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
My vote;
Ibanez M80M
I’ve had mine for 4+ years and I still love it.
The neck is great. The long scale length makes the 7th and 8th strings “work”.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
My vote;
Ibanez M80M
I’ve had mine for 4+ years and I still love it.
The neck is great. The long scale length makes the 7th and 8th strings “work”.

Does the lack of neck pickup is noticeable? I like to use it and it's the only reason I didn't but this axe yet

NorCal_Val

Reaction score
Does the lack of neck pickup is noticeable? I like to use it and it's the only reason I didn't but this axe yet

For the type of stuff I’m playing, a neck pickup isn’t missed. It’s not the type of tone I’m going for.(with my 7-strings, a neck pickup is a must!!)I’m a big fan of the Lundgren pickup and how it’s voiced.