Thinking of refinishing my RG752 - would appreciate some thoughts and opinions

• Thread starter Stiman
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Stiman

Reaction score
I have a 2017 RG752LWFX that is essentially perfect in every way, except the looks. So this seems like the perfect opportunity to have a dream guitar - a custom painted RG.

I've always really loved custom painted RGs, especially swirls. That swirled RG2228 that Misha had done back in the day is so damn awesome. Anyway, I really love the idea of a unique guitar, and I'm thinking of getting this guitar professionally refinished.

- I don't want to do swirl because it's too risky that I would like the pattern or whatever, I rather stick to a solid colour (ish).
- I'm leaning towards Loch Ness Green, or Purple Neon

Things to consider, this guitar body has binding and a limba wood top. I'm assuming the binding wouldn't matter, could just paint over it and no one would know.

Any thoughts? Any other colour suggestions?
Thanks!

Current picture of the guitar:
PXL_20220207_224316577~2.jpg

Colours I'm interested in:
1719926976354.png
1719927152522.png

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Team green here

I think if you don't care about the binding I'd have it painted over. Would you do the same for the headstock?

Stiman

Reaction score
Team green here

I think if you don't care about the binding I'd have it painted over. Would you do the same for the headstock?

Yeah, I'd have to do something with the headstock, either all black or matching body colour. I'd choose to match the body colour.

Stiman

Reaction score
Ooh, other things I need to consider:
- knob choice and colour. I could keep the originals, but maybe black plastic knobs instead?
- headshtock decal. I'd likely go with the JEM decal (removing the JEM part). I probably wouldn't do the same decal that's on there now. I think...

Stiman

Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more things I need to think about...

- current hardware is cosmo black. I'm thinking the ideal scenario would be to go with all black hardware. I'd have to source a black Gibraltar II bridge and black Gotoh Magnum Lock tuners.

EDIT:
Upon taking another look at the JEM777, it looks like it's cosmo black hardware 🤔. Maybe I'll just stick with the original hardware.

Last edited:

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I honestly think it looks good as it is, but otherwise I'd be team purple.
Honestly I think the guitar looks pretty good how it is, but I've been there before: the guitar plays and sounds great but you hate looking at it, so it doesn't get played lol

lost_horizon

Reaction score
Aaah 1990 colors...
1990-ranger-with-90k-miles-5-speed-exterior-house-paint-v0-eu3jrzdr6sbb1.png
download.jpg

How about blue?
images.jpg

How about you paint over the binding (no prep) and then scrap it back and shoot clear over it?

How about doing a purple undercoat then using a vinyl cut swirl pattern to mask off the body and shoot green over the top?

P.S. I love that top and doing a see through white would look rad

Reaction score
If there are so many doubts about where to go, why not doing a Photoshop/Photopea/Gimp/whatever preview? Then we could all shim in with our senses and not the ideas of how colors look like in a 3 dimensional object.

+1 on this.

I'd only refinish a guitar if:
1 - It's not a "high tier" quality like a prestige,
2 - Its original aesthetics are somehow "trademark" of the guitar model.
3 - Its original finish is wrecked full of ships and dents like a bad or overdone relic'ed job...

I'm not remembering any other reason to refinish a guitar and since the one in focus isn't in any of these 3 situations, this would be my course of action:
1 - do nothing and keep playing the guitar.
2 - sell the guitar and buy another that fits the specs, finish included.
3 - buy another guitar that fits the specs, finish included.

Neon_Knight_

Reaction score
Honestly I think the guitar looks pretty good how it is, but I've been there before: the guitar plays and sounds great but you hate looking at it, so it doesn't get played lol
Same - I think it looks great as it is. It would seem a shame to paint over that limba top, when the OP could achieve the same end result with a cheaper, less pristine, solid colour used MIJ RG (e.g. RG752FX-GK, RG7621 or RG15271). If refinished, it deserves a transparent finish imo.

Could probably make a three-figure profit by selling the limba RG752 and replacing it with a solid colour RG that has lots of paint chips (it's going to be refinished, so that doesn't matter).

Stiman

Reaction score
Same - I think it looks great as it is. It would seem a shame to paint over that limba top, when the OP could achieve the same end result with a cheaper, less pristine, solid colour used MIJ RG (e.g. RG752FX-GK, RG7621 or RG15271). If refinished, it deserves a transparent finish imo.

Could probably make a three-figure profit by selling the limba RG752 and replacing it with a solid colour RG that has lots of paint chips (it's going to be refinished, so that doesn't matter).

Yeah, I hear ya. That's why I wanted to pitch it here, to get some other opinions.

Use 7 string RGs are so hard to come buy here (Canada). Honestly, I'd be happy with almost any solid colour used RG 7 string, so maybe I can just keep looking until one pops up. The only risk is that hopefully the other guitar plays as well as mine. Which, who knows, it's probably highly likely.

Stiman

Reaction score
If there are so many doubts about where to go, why not doing a Photoshop/Photopea/Gimp/whatever preview? Then we could all shim in with our senses and not the ideas of how colors look like in a 3 dimensional object.

+1 on this.

I'd only refinish a guitar if:
1 - It's not a "high tier" quality like a prestige,
2 - Its original aesthetics are somehow "trademark" of the guitar model.
3 - Its original finish is wrecked full of ships and dents like a bad or overdone relic'ed job...

I'm not remembering any other reason to refinish a guitar and since the one in focus isn't in any of these 3 situations, this would be my course of action:
1 - do nothing and keep playing the guitar.
2 - sell the guitar and buy another that fits the specs, finish included.
3 - buy another guitar that fits the specs, finish included.

Option 2 is what I would do if I don't refinish this one I have. I'm not super picky, any RG or S 7-string in a solid or metallic colour, with any bridge would do. But they are hard to find used it seems.

Stiman

Reaction score
There's this one here locally which I find looks awesome but I think the price is too high:

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
4400 hahaha

The rgr5227 would be better and closer to what you are looking for. I had one, it's a good guitar but the neck wasn't for me. You can likely find one around 1200€

Screenshot_20240704-162119-094.png

(Be prepared to dress fret ends though, Ibanez + stainless+ maple means fret ends need work).

Reaction score
Option 2 is what I would do if I don't refinish this one I have. I'm not super picky, any RG or S 7-string in a solid or metallic colour, with any bridge would do. But they are hard to find used it seems.
S series are awesome, if you find one, get it.

There's this one here locally which I find looks awesome but I think the price is too high:
That is a cool guitar, shoot a lower value, you may be surprised...

Stiman

Reaction score
4400 hahaha

The rgr5227 would be better and closer to what you are looking for. I had one, it's a good guitar but the neck wasn't for me. You can likely find one around 1200€

View attachment 146299

(Be prepared to dress fret ends though, Ibanez + stainless+ maple means fret ends need work).

Funny enough, the seller of the RG752FMMSF that I linked to also has this guitar for sale on Reverb for $2,800 CAD, which is basically the same price as a new 5000 series RG.