This is what is wrong with "progressive" music

• Thread starter sol niger 333
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalbu

More time than skill
Reaction score
It might just be me but it makes me want to scream at the top of my lungs right by her face "PLEEEEASE JUST SHUT THE FAAAAAAAAKAAAAAAAAAP!!!"

No song direction or feel, just totally obnoxious.
Nothing like some good ol' elitism to start your day with. Seriously, if there's anything that's wrong with music it's this. Tr00 metal crusaders who shits on everything that's "fake metal". :nuts:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Reverend

GHETTO KING OF SWAG
Reaction score
I haven't been a fan of most of Sarah Longfield/The Fine Constant's work. It sounds to my ears like she's still finding her voice, so to speak. I have to say, she's gotten WAY better at the craft of songwriting. When she first started, it was literally bad riffs sandwiched between solos that showed a lot of technical finesse, but were boring or painful to listen to. In fact, I don't even mind the song in the OP.

Like I've said in the past, I expect to someday be a fan of her and her band. She gets closer and closer to saying something I want to hear all the time. Good on her for not letting us faceless internet haters deter her!

acrcmb

Reaction score
I'm with op I hate this stuff too there's no craft in it,they're probably all decent musicians but they kind of sound like they are all just praticing individually at the same time there's no real awareness of each other and with the guitar playing I hate people who play like that it doesn't sound good to me, it's just wankery I think the complex playing has it's place and can be used in a good way like AAl does it but this is just an erratic wall of notes.

Crabface

Reaction score
I have to agree with OP here. This is song is just total wanking and every riff is disconnected and there just to be packed in. In fact, I can't even remember a single riff, beat or melody from that song.
I don't really listen to modern prog like Periphery or Tesseract much, but I get it.
I don't get this. This was just endless sweeping and tapping that went no-where and didn't give an opportunity to take it in. It went absolutely no-where.

To me, if you need to look for a reason to like a song then it simply isn't that good.
For example:
"Yeah, but they pulled of those syncopations in that weird time signature perfectly" or
"Ok, it wasn't catchy but they know how to use counterpoints... blah blah blah"

No. You have a crush on one of the members.

That said, she does seem to be steadily progressing and i imagine that at some point in the future I'll be able to find her music tolerable. And she has brilliant technique (doesn't seems to ever bend or use vibrato though) ;)

Decapitated666

Black Metal
Reaction score
I'll say this… This band doesn't need to really exist. There's so many like it. The whole "progressive" term is such a goddamn codename nowadays because usually what hides behind it is djent. Now we can argue about that, and someone is gonna say djent isn't real, someone else will say it's great, someone else will call it "progressive metal", and voila, a shitstorm! I'll say that this band doesn't really give me much hope for what prog is turning into. I mean, they sound just like AAL. I'm not a fan of AAL, but why do we need another AAL? Also, the song I'm referring to (the one I listened to to state my claim) is "Transcending Perception". I just don't understand the hype about this band.

Pyrocario

Reaction score
The Fine Constant is Sarah's band but that being said all of it was written by her for what she wanted the band to be like. The next album will be collaboration between all members as far as I'm aware so it might sound a bit different with other people working on the tracks. They might be able to cement their sound down, at the moment it's a bit unsure what way they're going to go.

To me, that track in particular is more of a track for Sarah to show off her playing ability which isn't the worst thing to happen ever, most people do it.

Her newer solo stuff is a lot different (at least to me) compared to The Fine Constant stuff.

I honestly quite enjoy listening to The Fine Constant/Sarah's stuff and so do a lot of people so she's doing something right, it's just not for everyone.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
I'm torn.

On one side, all power to their band for doing what they like, and I'm impressed by Sarahs technicality, especially considering she had pinky problems.

On the other side, it's scales on a standard polyrhytm-track. What they can do technically, they really lack in composition. There's no coherence, no direction, and no energy or emotion. Plus, half the band in their music video is essentially stationary, while their bassist sways from side to side. It's not my cup of tea, yes allright, but at least show it's your own cup.

I wish them luck, and hope they find a decent songwriter that can put their abilities to good use.

CyborgSlunk

Reaction score
I hear you. To me progressive music has turned into basically overplaying...it used to mean thinking outside the square, now it means putting as much into the square as possible and it shits me to tears

Progressive (for me) means you try to not limit yourself by existing music structures, and in the best case something "outside the square" is resulting. And just because of one "bad" example the progressive genre has gone down? For every band that is actually progressive, the are dozens that try to emulate that sound, may it be Rush, Dream Theater or AAL.

silent suicide

Winter is coming
Reaction score
I think she is a great player, but her songwriting is and has always been bad. I listened to solos that she did for contests, meh, I listened to her band, meh, I listened to the songs she wrote for herself, more meh. Good player though.

So much this, enjoy watching her play, but her songwriting is absolutely terrible to my ears.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
Well didn't like that one bit, but I can still see someone liking that. No need for hating. Dunno how people found that smooth though, I thought the tracking was sub par... (Not that I could do any better, but hey, I'm a drummer, I get to bash guitarists, right?)

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
Is it me or is progressive the most argued about genre of metal ever?

Nu metal?

I always thought Sarah Longfield is a good player (and she is), but her songwriting skills.. well just aren't on the same level and this song is a good example of that (assuming she wrote it).

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
How bored everyone looks in the video, that the song goes absolutely nowhere and the sheer amount of notes being played for the sake of proving yourself...for me it removes any form of feel or emotion from the music. It's like ear rape. Just because you can...doesn't mean you should

I agree wholeheartedly.

I like technical stuff, but when it's just a showcase of how good a guitar player can be, it's boring. It's music only for guitar players.

Also, that song sounds like Djenty Dragonforce. My 2 cents.

gorthul

Reaction score
This sounds like Djent-Braindrill.

I respect Sarah for her playing skill, she is better than I will probably ever be. But This song doesn't tell any story, it doesn't carry any mood or emotion in my opinion.
In my opinion a good song must give me some kind of feel, make me happy, sad, angry, whatever, it doesn't really matter as long as it gives me something. When it is full of sweeps and still transports some feelings, that's great! But it doesn't need to be technical proficient.

Pweaks

Reaction score
She expresses her-self through music and you want her to "shut the fck up"? May I ask, what's wrong with you? You should focus on listening to music that you like, instead of wasting your time hating something that you don't get. And no, I don't really like her music myself either but I'm not going to make a thread about it. Grow up.

Fat-Elf

Banned
Reaction score
I like how this is actually shorter than the Lucas Mann teaser song and people didn't even consider that as a full song. It even flows much better than this one. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.