thoughts on a schecter j-5 Bass?

• Thread starter thebeesknees22
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
It just came in!

I just played it for a few minutes, but overall seems good. Fret ends are a little sharp. Otherwise everything checks out. Kinda wish it had a notch for the halfway point on the tone knob though, and what I read was pretty accurate on the volume drop when using the split coils.

Sounded good though on the few minutes I played it. I'll probably lower the action just a hair when I get time.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It just came in!

I just played it for a few minutes, but overall seems good. Fret ends are a little sharp. Otherwise everything checks out. Kinda wish it had a notch for the halfway point on the tone knob though, and what I read was pretty accurate on the volume drop when using the split coils.

Sounded good though on the few minutes I played it. I'll probably lower the action just a hair when I get time.
The bass is passive, right? Makes sense for the tone knob to be un-notched in that case since it's standard on passive tone knobs. Usually they save the notched pots for blend knobs or boost/cut active preamps.
But yeah if it's anything like my old J5 Active, it'll be great.

thebeesknees22

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The bass is passive, right? Makes sense for the tone knob to be un-notched in that case since it's standard on passive tone knobs. Usually they save the notched pots for blend knobs or boost/cut active preamps.
But yeah if it's anything like my old J5 Active, it'll be great.
yep it's passive.

I played it a lot last night and I'm super happy with this one. It sounds great. Nice and round in the lows and low mids. Smooth on the high end and not too sharp and clangy like my sterlings can get sometimes.

The 35" scale feels a lot lot better at drop G# than my 34" sterling.

It does have a bit of a hum to it with the split coil. Just typical single coil hum. The volume dropout is so big, I doubt I'll ever use that. Plus the non split has the sound I was looking for so there's that too.

The neck feels great on this one too minus the slightly sharp fret ends.

verdict: really fantastic bang for the buck bass imho lol Kinda want to swap out my sterling for another one.

Latest posts