Thoughts on GOC Guitars?

heklmbbsna

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
pole pieces of pickups in their 7 & 8 string models are not straight in line with strings since their pickups aren't slanted. does that affect the volume of 1st & 7/8th strings?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Miek

POSTING ON INTERNET
Reaction score
Had a valkryie and if I didn't have guitars that outclassed it in what I wanted it to do I would've kept it. I put a Bareknuckle alnico Nailbomb in the bridge and it sounded absolutely absurdly good.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
I apologize for reviving this thread... so based on what I have read, GOC headless is a no go?
Depends on the risk you're willing to take :lol:
You might get a guitar, might not get a guitar. If you get a guitar it might be complety unplayable or be actually quite nice. But in the end its a chinese guitar with the cheapest aliexpress parts that might be well over 1k after taxes. Plus the shady history: there's a FB group, good read if you can get someone to invite you.
For me, what started as a great adventure turned into the biggest nightmare and my worst purchase ever. Fell in love with how it felt and to be honest the fretwork was amazing. But then I found issue after issue, some fixable, others not. Plus having to deal with GOC shenagigans even months/years after they promised me the finest instrument I can imagine.

Last edited:

RiksRiks

ERG Player Wannabe
Reaction score
Depends on the risk you're willing to take :lol:
You might get a guitar, might not get a guitar. If you get a guitar it might be complety unplayable or be actually quite nice. But in the end its a chinese guitar with the cheapest aliexpress parts that might be well over 1k after taxes. Plus the shady history: there's a FB group, good read if you can get someone to invite you.
For me, what started as a great adventure turned into the biggest nightmare and my worst purchase ever. Fell in love with how it felt and to be honest the fretwork was amazing. But then I found issue after issue, some fixable, others not. Plus having to deal with GOC shenagigans even months/years after they promised me the finest instrument I can imagine.

Is there really people who didn't get their guitar?? that sucks big time
Also, wondering if anyone has any feedback on the lighter fretboard, nut equipped materias that were sold recently...

mbardu

Reaction score
Just throwing my 2 cents here not on GOC, but on NK.
I had zero interest in them but through no fault of my own, I'm now the owner of one.
My in-hand sample size is one, so not going to generalize but my impression is very very good and most of the downsides I heard or read about are unfounded.

Cons:
  • Shape is a blatant blatant copy of a one that's not my favorite
  • Some of the routes are a bit rough
  • Body wood is "meh" and 3-piece
  • Dots are not real luminlays, and they don't really glow for very long
But yeah...that's pretty much it

Pros:
  • Super light at 4 and a half pounds. Supremely comfortable seated in standard or classical, as well as standing. Obviously good balance.
  • Frets are GOOD. Very good. Fretboard has blind fretslots too, which is very nice. Before really playing it, in principle I was already thinking about having it refretted just because I prefer stainless steel, but now I'm feeling absolutely no rush to do so.
  • Neck shape is GREAT. I don't like the harsher angles of the endurneck on real *bergs, and while this one is still asymmetric, with a slightly flatter region in the middle (big benefits of the endurneck for playability), it is still overall curved rather than having sharp angles. Best of both worlds in my book.
  • Neck materials are great. Roasted birdseye fretboard and neck, with stripes of walnut/prupleheart in the neck itself. Oiled finish feels perfect, and the neck is rock solid. Doesn't seem to move much at all with weather changes. Flat radius, and very easy to get super low non-buzzing action.
  • Hardware is actually good. Mine has the newer bridge and newer one-piece headpiece and there's not much to say about them. Maybe lubricate the bridge a bit, but otherwise the thing just works, and the guitar stays in tune like a great headless should. No issues at all.
  • I was fully prepared to have to replace all electronics on day 1. I actually have a SD Distortion/lil-59 set already in hand to do so with better pots... Specifically for this guitar. But I feel no rush to do it either. The pickups are just good. The tone pot is not good so you can ignore it, but that's the only bad part. The volume works well, and you have a push-push with a nice clicky action to split the bridge humbucker. Even the electronics cavity is shielded and organized well.
smDSC03820.JPG

smDSC03823.JPG

smDSC03821.JPG

smDSC03822.JPG

Last edited:

maccayoung

Reaction score
I apologize for reviving this thread... so based on what I have read, GOC headless is a no go?

I have one, but if if read this thread first maybe I wouldn't have taken the chance!

I really like mine. There was some incorrect wiring and a dodgy output jack, but the customer service was good. They basically said buy a new jack locally and we'll reimburse you (which they did). The incorrect wiring was also on the output jack so I fixed that when I swapped it.

I've owned a strandberg boden os and the goc easily compares. In fact it made me question why I paid so much for the strandberg.

Mine is the 3.0 version I believe, before they started putting nuts on them.

https://imgur.com/a/oOKyplf

3XR3Lra.jpg

1mOkLHM.jpg

Masoo2

Reaction score
Just throwing my 2 cents here not on GOC, but on NK.
I had zero interest in them but through no fault of my own, I'm now the owner of one.
My in-hand sample size is one, so not going to generalize but my impression is very very good and most of the downsides I heard or read about are unfounded.
WOAH dude, did not know that they made one with a single in the neck.

May just have to order one, that's like the perfect budget 6 string headless for me. It seems some models have disappeared from both their Aliexpress and Ebay pages, I remember a really nice pink/purple contrasting finish, but this one is like 95% what I'm wanting.

Any other comments on NKs before I pull the trigger? Most everything I've read has been extremely positive and man I'm just digging that guitar hard rn. Headless, single coil neck pickup, seemingly decent neck that is still asymmetrical but not Endur-levels (did *not* vibe with the Endurneck), etc. Already have a cheaper import headless 8, a Legator Ghost, but have been wanting a 6 to compliment it for a while now.

Last edited:

mbardu

Reaction score
WOAH dude, did not know that they made one with a single in the neck.

May just have to order one, that's like the perfect budget 6 string headless for me. It seems some models have disappeared from both their Aliexpress and Ebay pages, I remember a really nice pink/purple contrasting finish, but this one is like 95% what I'm wanting.

Any other comments on NKs before I pull the trigger? Most everything I've read has been extremely positive and man I'm just digging that guitar hard rn. Headless, single coil neck pickup, seemingly decent neck that is still asymmetrical but not Endur-levels (did *not* vibe with the Endurneck), etc. Already have a cheaper import headless 8, a Legator Ghost, but have been wanting a 6 to compliment it for a while now.

You can bet the fact that it's H-S caught my eye too :)
Like I said, I have just one sample, so maybe I've been particularly lucky.
Can't guarantee you wouldn't get one with a structural issue or something...you never know.

And as far as mine is concerned, I should be clear. It's not a 3k$ guitar and you can tell. It's not, like..."refined" like a boutique or top of the range instrument.
But it plays awesome. Thought I would noodle on it at my desk and it would be tolerable, but it's more than that. I could gig with it just as I could a way more expensive instrument, and my back would thank me for it :).

If you ask the guy on eBay or Facebook, I bet he could build an HS one to your specs too, I hear he is taking requests for customizations.

feilong29

Reaction score
My GOC Materia 8 3.0 is fantastic. I hated the stock pickups and swapped them out for Fishman Reyes pups. I got it a good setup and it is a badass guitar. Quality-wise, I have no complaints. I equate them to a Mid-ranged Schecter. Tuning stability is great on mine and I am overall satisfied with it. I know there are horror stories, but I think they hit the mark with their 3.0 series. I must also caveat this with the fact that I only paid $300 for it (reward points yay). If I paid full price for it, I would still feel the same way.

Masoo2

Reaction score
You can bet the fact that it's H-S caught my eye too :)
Like I said, I have just one sample, so maybe I've been particularly lucky.
Can't guarantee you wouldn't get one with a structural issue or something...you never know.

And as far as mine is concerned, I should be clear. It's not a 3k$ guitar and you can tell. It's not, like..."refined" like a boutique or top of the range instrument.
But it plays awesome. Thought I would noodle on it at my desk and it would be tolerable, but it's more than that. I could gig with it just as I could a way more expensive instrument, and my back would thank me for it :).

If you ask the guy on eBay or Facebook, I bet he could build an HS one to your specs too, I hear he is taking requests for customizations.
Well, I guess we'll have to wait a few weeks and see...cause I got one on the way now ;)

Although I really thought the pink + purple flame top was really unique and something I'd want to check out in person, I'm all for a blue fade with roasted maple so it was just the perfect culmination of specs + price + availability. If it turns out better than anticipated, maybe one day in the future I'll request an HS or HSS in the pink/purple:

2019-NK-Headless-guitar-Fanned-Frets-5-ply-Roasted.jpg

Stupidly excited to have a guitar with a single in the neck position again though, it's been far too long since I sold my Jazzmaster. Honestly I just can't stand humbucker neck pickups anymore, I have to use plugins like Blue Cat Audio's Re-Guitar to instill somewhat of a single coil-like characteristic to my DI sound.

I'm definitely not expecting perception, but my Legator really shaped my perception of how decent affordable imports (headless/multiscale at that) can be. I know plenty of people have had QC issues with them, but mine is as close to flawless as I'd expect a $500-700 import to be. Everything I've read about the NKs makes me think I should get something at least on par with the Legator or other good affordable imports I've had (eg Squier Classic Vibe), so if it plays decent I'll be more than happy.

bassplayer8

Reaction score
I got one of the NK 7 strings on the way but just found out NK will be doing even more customization in the future. Currently only in China but there’s a guy on ig who got a black limba body and wenge neck.

mbardu

Reaction score
Well, I guess we'll have to wait a few weeks and see...cause I got one on the way now ;)

Although I really thought the pink + purple flame top was really unique and something I'd want to check out in person, I'm all for a blue fade with roasted maple so it was just the perfect culmination of specs + price + availability. If it turns out better than anticipated, maybe one day in the future I'll request an HS or HSS in the pink/purple:

2019-NK-Headless-guitar-Fanned-Frets-5-ply-Roasted.jpg

Stupidly excited to have a guitar with a single in the neck position again though, it's been far too long since I sold my Jazzmaster. Honestly I just can't stand humbucker neck pickups anymore, I have to use plugins like Blue Cat Audio's Re-Guitar to instill somewhat of a single coil-like characteristic to my DI sound.

I'm definitely not expecting perception, but my Legator really shaped my perception of how decent affordable imports (headless/multiscale at that) can be. I know plenty of people have had QC issues with them, but mine is as close to flawless as I'd expect a $500-700 import to be. Everything I've read about the NKs makes me think I should get something at least on par with the Legator or other good affordable imports I've had (eg Squier Classic Vibe), so if it plays decent I'll be more than happy.

Mine has a couple of rough spots like mentioned, where you know the guitar would have been marked "B-stock" for a regular brand. And the finish is very thin satin (which I actually like very much) that some people would say is "lower quality" than a thick shiny poly. So hopefully those are not your major criteria when comparing :lol: ... but it sounds like that's not the case.
Where it matters though (structure, neck shape, neck materials, stability, frets), the guitar is much better than any entry-level guitar I've played in the past and that's not even close. In a blind test, plays as well as anything really - if splitting hairs then really just missing stainless steel frets for that extra bit of guaranteed smoothness.

Crundles

Reaction score
So I go to check my gmail today, see whether Steam have anything on sale, the usual, and uhhhhh

Your Cerberus Music order is now complete
Polaris Seven String Set: Direct Mount

They've managed to misspell my name, but who cares, just 2 brief years and I can finally piece my guitar together!

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Played a GOC for the first time yesterday and it felt absolutely similar quality-wise to a strandberg.

bzhang9

Reaction score
I have had 8 GOC headless and about as many strandbergs
Fit and finish is slightly worse, however fretwork seems to be better. All SS frets with smooth ends, not a single one had dead spots and all could get very low action.
Newer hardware 3.0 and later I have not had problems with
stock pickups are decent, usable
used and new they go for about 1/2 the price of the lowest tier strandbergs, I would take them over strandberg every time