Thoughts on GOC Guitars?

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
The green is exactly what I hoped for. A mossy, earthy kind of green.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Crundles

Reaction score
They've posted a new picture of the pink, which is significantly more fabulous than the old one, and making me consider emailing Pan really quickly to change colour lol.

52609015_1440523569411645_1148706028565561344_n.jpg

Albake21

Ibanez Nerd
Reaction score
I'll let others test them out before I do. I just have an off feeling about them to be honest. With that said, I truly hope they come through and make some decent guitars for the money. I'm not expecting a $1000+ plus looking/feeling guitar, but just something that isn't a pile of shit.

Also that pink is fucking awesome looking.

Xibuque

Reaction score
The green looks great, but I was expecting a much more brighter green, so a changed my order to the Antique Black.

I wish i could get one of each hehe

0rimus

Reaction score
Does anybody know if these are gonna have the knubby "headstock" thing the standard Materia's have? Cuz... I actually kinda dig it lol. Nice perch for a clip on tuner or gopro cameraDrS44g9V4AAhaJy.jpg

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
Does anybody know if these are gonna have the knubby "headstock" thing the standard Materia's have? Cuz... I actually kinda dig it lol. Nice perch for a clip on tuner or gopro cameraView attachment 67191
I had the same question, the answer is: no, it will have the smaller headstock you can see in the mockups. But apparently you can still use a clip on it (tuner or go pro etc).
I was sceptical at first, too, but then I jumped in anyway.
Most of the questions here have been answered openly on their homepage (work philosophy, where the guitars are built, history with Neko etc.), all guitars they have released so far seem to be of rather high quality and their communication is on point (even if at least one of the guys uses the word "bro" a bit too often :D) and they seem to know what they're talking about.
Found them in December and instantly liked their designs. Some are definitely inspired by other guitars, but have enough distinc features to distance them from the inspiration. And the Materia seemed to be a good start into the headless world.

My config:
8 string
antique black
maple neck
guitarmory patriot pickups

Btw: the 2018 Materia was around 1300, but the ones sold from their homepage were around 900. So I guess that's where the real price will end up after the run (which they do to put their name on the map).

Last edited:

Curt

Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.
Reaction score
As it turns out, I didn't make it into the initial run. I missed by one spot so I will be in the first set of the secondary run that was opened due to the demand. An extra month or so of waiting won't kill me, but damn. I knew I should have been more decisive

Xibuque

Reaction score
Did you guys notice the upper horn is slightly different from the first Materia model?

The one on the run model is a little bit shapper on the tip, well i like it.

The forearm rest is also different, i like the old one better

52635782_10210806098348450_3164109124292050944_n.jpg

Crundles

Reaction score
Did you guys notice the upper horn is slightly different from the first Materia model?

Interesting - I mailed Pan on the arm-rest, because I also really like the "old-style" one. Will update once I have a reply.

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score

Yeah, they're constantly changing their models a bit.
Never realized the sharper horn, I like it! The arm rest might just be an optical illusion because the clearcoat is missing, therefore the edge might not be as visible as on the 2018 model :agreed:
In any case, I like both and don't really mind :D

Crundles

Reaction score
So I got a reply:

"No this one is more of a suhr kind of contour, its arched to give it a low profile carved yet sleek enough when viewed at an angle."

I did kind of hope they'd keep the more carved style one, but it's perfectly fine either way.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
Anyone play one of these ever? NAMM, etc? Either way I’m in for a purple with maple neck and a set of Patriots recommended by the guitarmory site.

Last edited:

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
Oh, look! The scammers behind Neko Guitars are back under a new name! Looks like they are still using the exact same designs for the exact same cheap, Chinese-made instruments.

Kiss your money goodbye, guys.

If they do come through and actually deliver the guitars this time, they will no doubt be pieces of shit.

Anyone play one of these ever? NAMM, etc?
Nope, because these guys were formerly Neko Guitars, and no one received the guitars that they paid for when Neko did runs exactly like this. So, you sure as hell wouldn't see these guitars from this super small operation anywhere, especially at a big tradeshow like NAMM, because no one who ordered even received their instruments.

Emperor Guillotine

The Almighty Ruler
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before. They aren't Neko.
They are. Multiple sources on Facebook groups and forums have confirmed it. Aside from that, the fact that this guitar's design WAS a Neko design undeniably cements it. (Seems like folks have forgotten what the few Neko models looked like. But I don't blame anyone for forgetting since the guitars never made it to fruition and/or never made it into the marketplace to enter into the hands of those who paid for them.)