Three choices for fretboard. Help me out.

What fretboard works best?

• Macassar ebony

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • Bubinga

Votes: 6 10.3%
  • Flamed maple

Votes: 22 37.9%

• Total voters

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
I have been working on this custom for a while. I finally got the ancient figured kauri for the body, and finally found the bubinga for the top. Now I have made a mockup for you guys, with the three fretboard choises I am facing:

1) macassar ebony
2) Bubinga
3) Flame maple

I realize that looks is but one thing - the differences between the woods are noticible, but which do you prefer, and if you have any comment on as to why you'd take one type over the other, leave me a post :)

To the curious reader, and to add informartion on this issue: the body is ancient kauri (similar to Koa wood in sound) a thick figured bubinga top (3/4"), a set-thru 3-piece wenge neck. Pickups will likely be BKP nailbomb and cold sweat. Bridge, hipshot (I might still decide on a floyd rose though).

Cheers!

399799_10150778543533084_739573083_12110465_1740686830_n.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mountainjam

Reaction score
I like the bubinga. On a side note, how is the kauri? Worth the hefty price tag? Is it light wood?

skeels

..to pay the beels
Reaction score
I like the dark contrast of the ebony but I think it looks plain with no figuring to it. How about a ziricote or bocote?

Speculum Speculorum

Reaction score
Macassar ebony has a super feel and a beautiful tone. Also, the figuring gets more pronounced as time goes on and the wood ages. I have a highly figured macassar ebony fretboard/neck that after about 10 years (God willing it lives so long) will be absolutely ridiculous looking. I'd definitely go for it.

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
I like the bubinga. On a side note, how is the kauri? Worth the hefty price tag? Is it light wood?

The Kauri feels like a piece of honduras mahogony - it seems lighter, but technically it's somewhat denser and slightly heavier. Since the guitar isn't done yet, I can't say about the actual workabilty and how it actually feels in a guitar...
It is reputed to have a tone very similar to Koa...

Price tag...seems too much. You can great neat figure, but there are other woods out there that delivers a great tone and great figure, that aren't as pricey....So why did I go for it? The history. 35.000-50.000 years old ancient kauri, pulled from old bogs in Australia. It's unique, and as old as it gets - also it doesn't require harvesting of live trees.

- And cheers on the answers ppl, do keep any arguments comming :)

/Marcus

Navid

Chicken Kicker
Reaction score
I suggest you to base your choice on the feel you have when you play.
Honestly, all those woods look great IMHO, you should at this point ask yourself which one would feel better.

If you'll put a Macassar Ebony fretboard the wood will be raw and has to be oiled sometimes. It has a dark colore and it will be hard to see if it's dirty or not. I love the feeling it gives me when I play, when my fingers touch it.
On the other side Maple is light, it will most likely be sealed with some finish because it is not a oily wood. You'll have to clean it often or the dirt will be really easy to be seen. Also I think it's slower at touch (not a real issue if you're a lead guitarist with high frets). But still, you might like it more than the feel of raw wood.

I don't know much about bubinga. I don't work with such woods, mostly because I'm not rich enough :D

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I say ebony, the maple doesn't jive well with the bubinga top for me, and the bubinga fretboard makes it looks waaaaaay too busy.

bandinaboy

SS.org Unsui
Reaction score
your probably going to want the ebony. However I am partial to the aforementioned ziricote. I have a ziricote fretboard, and its awesome. But if those are your choices, the ebony and maple look the best, and the ebony will probably play the best.

Viginez

Reaction score
for me maple. more balanced natural look.

IkarusOnFire

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! And voting - it appears the ebony is what most people votes for, followed closely by maple, and lastly bubinga...I have begun to dig the maple look, but I want to have an oiled neck, and think the macassar ebony would work perefect like that - no finish required. I saw some pics on the KxK photo thread, a bubinga top with mac. eb. fretboard that looked very natural - always nice to see actual examples :)

Thanks again! Cheers!

(oh, I realize the body looks a bit small - the measurements aren't spot on, it's only for a visual impression on woods and overall design).

//Marcus