To all Mesa Mark IV owners

• Thread starter kmanick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
I just picked up a "transitional" "B" head, supposedly only about 200 of them made, very low 6000 serial number, and it sounds great , everything is working but when I switch to the Lead channel it "pops" really f'n loud.
So loud that I couldn't gig it like this as I channel switch quite a bit.
I tried cycling through the channels in standby but that didn't seem to help
any ideas? anyone else have this? I don't recall the last mark IV I had ever doing this.
thanks
Nick

katsumura78

Reaction score
I don’t have a footswitch for mine but it does make a decent pop when I move from channel to channel using the knob on the back. Mines a IVB.

I had a IV years back that did not pop using the footswitch so… 🤷🏽 it shouldn’t be that loud maybe have a tech check it out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Mesa uses relays for switching, so it will pop. The usual suggestion is to cycle through the channels several times to minimize the popping. If that doesn’t work ask over at the Boogie Forum; someone there should be able to help.

No, Mesas relay switching is poorly designed so it pops :lol: It is entirely possible to use relays to switch without popping.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
My IV A always had a slight pop going between channels, even if using the footswitch. Cycling through the channels once while it was on usually "cleared" it enough to not be a problem. It was never very loud though. Something an amp tech might be able to fix?

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
all of my cabs have Scumback m75/j75 mix in them. I found another 2x12 local to me with V30's may give it a go , or look at the Freidman 2X12. The guys at the Axe Palace love the Friedman 2X12's.
**** just plugged into this Cab , sounds surprisingly pretty awesome :) ***
IMG_5111.jpg

Last edited:

Marked Man

Reaction score
I haven't noticed a pop with my IVb. But the Boogie forum is a great resource.

Also, if you're going to rock a Mark, make sure you hear it through the original Mark Cab and speakers. There is NO substitute. You'll own one after that. 🤩

Bich.jpg

I won't allow V30s within 50 feet of my Marks....

Edika

Reaction score
It mustn't be all their models. I though only Rectifiers had this issue as the Triple Rec had used to be like that, popping when switching channels and had to cycle in standby to get less audible pop.
But the Nomad I have doesn't pop.

protest

Reaction score
Make sure you check that amp for the brown Sprague caps. They need to be replaced before they leak.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Make sure you check that amp for the brown Sprague caps. They need to be replaced before they leak.
The guy I got it from said the previous owner had it serviced, but I don't know if by Mesa, I have a support item opened with them hopefully I'll get to talk to someone on Monday or Tuesday.
I hope they keep a log of serial numbers they've serviced. I was thinking of taking the chassis out of the shell and taking a look but I don't really know what I'm looking for and how much of a pain in the ass it is to pull the chassis and then get it back it. I also want to remove the reverb tank, I use external reverb, one less thing in the head to worry about.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa uses relays for switching, so it will pop. The usual suggestion is to cycle through the channels several times to minimize the popping. If that doesn’t work ask over at the Boogie Forum; someone there should be able to help.
This right here ^^^. Every Triple Rec I've owned also does this, drives me nuts, but as mentioned if you cycle through all channels a few times before your gig starts it can help minimize it and not pop so loud, but yes it will still pop. Oddly enough my cheapo Bugera TriRec also sounds fantastic, has midi, has a built in power soak, and doesn't pop at all when switching channels 🤣

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
so I pulled the chassis and this is what I see. The guy I got it form says the previous (original owner) had it serviced before he sold it but gave me no specifics
IMG_5112.jpgIMG_5113.jpgIMG_5114.jpgIMG_5115.jpgIMG_5116.jpg

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Wow! Throwing an RFT into V1 and the Chinese Shuguang , square foil getter into V3 has really made this thing come alive.
All 3 channels have much more gain and body to them

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
Did some more tube rolling today with this thing.
Now the Preamp section is this
V1- RFT
V2- JJ
V3 - Blackburn Mullard
V4 Amperex Bugle boy
V5 - JJ Balanced
A quick check and the mids sound a little thicker and "chewier with these in there.
Ideally I'd like to swap V1 and V3, but getting V1 into this head without pulling the chassis is a major PITA,
I have that set up in my Splawn and it sounds fantastic, RFT's in the Lead slots kill.

Latest posts