Tool announce new album, Fear Inoculum, coming August 30

• Thread starter rifft
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Well done the one-listen wonders, everyone is SO impressed by how cool you are for dismissing something that's taken the band several years to put together after you've listened to a leaked copy once with your mind on something else while doing so. We all think more of you for your immediate knee-jerk responses and your posting of them.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jmeezle

Reaction score
Well done the one-listen wonders, everyone is SO impressed by how cool you are for dismissing something that's taken the band several years to put together after you've listened to a leaked copy once with your mind on something else while doing so. We all think more of you for your immediate knee-jerk responses and your posting of them.

You're mad because we don't like an album. Who gives a shit how long this album took, the end result is pedestrian. Also, listening to this on a CD after taking it out of their fancy packaging won't make the music any better. It's the same shit, just stretched way too long with the same tired ideas, more synths and less vocals. Enjoy!

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score

I'm as big a Tool fan as anyone, and their reviews are valid and unfortunately believable. Don't see how listening now and at the end of the week makes a difference.

cyb

Tune Low Play Slow
Reaction score
I've listened to it 3 or 4 times, and I thought it was pretty good. No album is ever going to live up to 13 years of hype. I liked it better than 10,000 days. It's no Aenima or Lateralus, and that's fine with me.

coreysMonster

Abrakadabro
Reaction score
Because I'm going to Houston later in the week where I will restock on "plants" from my "friend."

Good luck cracking my secret code language. :cool:
You'd go all the way to Houston and do that and not even have the decency to let me know

Wow. I see how it is. You're out of our agriculture club, bucko.

ChugThisBoy

Reaction score
In all honesty, I don't think that Tool ever made an album strictly for sober people. Listening to them after some.. "plants" is something else, at least for me :D

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
Aye that'll be it.

AC.Lin

Poopy-di scoop & Scoop-diddy-whoop
Reaction score
...with your mind on something else while doing so
How do you know ?

I loved the previous Tool albums, but to me this one is boring. The song writing is boring, the lyrics are boring, the riffs are boring, and the production is boring. I listened to the album entirely at least 4 times, i wanted to give it more chances, but it's a no from me.
You don't share my opinion, good for you, enjoy the album.

everyone is SO impressed by how cool you are for dismissing something
We all think more of you for your immediate knee-jerk responses and your posting of them
I think of you as a really open-minded person, with no prejudice against other, and who can easily accept someone else's opinion.
I'm sure we all think of you this way, and i am SO impressed you're that understanding. You're a real SS member. Play authentic my dude :fever:

P.S: Are people really ok with Litanie Contre La Peur, Legion Inoculant, Chocolate Chip Trip, and Mockingbeat ? An album of 10 songs, and 4 of them are a bunch of random noises and sounds ? Ok. And they want us to pay 85€ in my country for that ? rofl

Nick

Reaction score
Haha the immediate angry response towards anyone who doesnt like this is pretty much what makes people hate tool fans. They are a good band when they are at their best but not the super geniuses their fans like to think of them as.

In any case, I checked the album out this morning and it's good, not amazing. It lacks the buildup followed by crescendo that made tracks like the patient, pushit, lateralus, third eye, reflection and right in two amazing. Instead it often seems to build up to nothing or a brief section of heavier riffs which arent unenjoyable but arent utter triumph moments like the final chorus on the patient.

Also regarding the tracks with no actual music, there is still over 40 mins of 'songs' on this so tli dontbthink there can be much complaint there. A lot of bands would simply release this as 4 tracks.

I guess I also enjoyed the similarities to lateralus as it took me back to my high school days where my main worries were chasing girls and sports....

6 or 7/10

Last edited:

prlgmnr

...that kind of idea
Reaction score
I hesitate to be so brazen as to share my opinion up to the point of being half way through the fourth track, while I've been in and out of the room getting lunch for the kids, but I prefer this album to 10'000 days so far.

Chris Bowsman

Nu-Metal Apologist
Contributor
Reaction score

Who’s judging a leaked song? Maybe it’s better than the incredibly boring and anticlimactic official single they released.

That said, I just downloaded the entire album. I’ll listen on the way to and from work today. Hopefully I’ll enjoy it as much as the people who haven’t listened to the boring single think I should.

brector

Reaction score
I have listened to it about 10 times now. I like the production, everything seems super clear. I like Pneuma through Chocolate Chip Trip. Fear Inoculum seems to me a Lateralus bside as does 7empest. I do not get all the "critic" gushing over 7empest. What I am missing is like others have said, the buildup to something great in the songs like they used to. I am also missing Maynard's vocal range from scream to sweet. I understand he might have come to terms with his inner demons, but, my opinion, this is Tool and part of their sound is him going from a raw vocal to a "sweet" one. And lastly, I am missing the heavy bass driven songs. It is somewhat there, it just feels like they said "hey Justin, Adam's going to do more this time". I do know it's Adam's band, but the bass has always been so upfront in most songs. Just my $.02

Edit - 6 or 7/10

StrmRidr

Hide your Jacksons
Reaction score
I need to listen to it a lot more, but Pneuma was the stand out for me. I liked it overall, and I find the title track to be the weakest song on the album.

Bdtunn

Reaction score
It’s not making me want to rush out
To the gym, but’s it’s a damn good album.