Tools for fretwork?

• Thread starter AwakenTheSkies
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just as an update on the Baroque corwning file and FRTLZR spot leveler, I don't recommend either. The spot leveler doesn't quite level the fret to the two adjacent frets and the crowning file has concave surfaces with way too large a radius to put a good curve on the top of the fret. It just kind of flattens them out. Oh well.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
So because of the Baroque crowning file flattening out the frets I tried to spot level, I ended up just leveling my frets on my Solar. Used a fret leveling beam and 26.5" notched straight edge I got from Amazon, as well as a Fret Guru crowning file. I'm pretty happy with how it came out and the Fret Guru works great.

Attachments

• IMG_20240618_204848_430.jpg
    IMG_20240618_204848_430.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240618_205038_504 (1).jpg
    IMG_20240618_205038_504 (1).jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 8

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Fuck. As I was really straightening up the neck on my guitars a lot more fret problems started showing up. Well none of them cost over 800€ new so maybe it's to be expected? So, full level it is.
A bit worried about the crowning, or sanding off too much while leveling. I guess I'll buy the Stewmac Z File, I'm not sure..I've read it can be tricky to use well.
I have two +10 year old guitars that cost 100€ that I can practice on and if I ruin them it's no big deal. Hopefully it'll be enough to get the hang of it...
I was thinking on these cheap guitars I could individually file the frets a little and crown them over and over until I feel like I have a better crowning technique.
So Z file or no Z file? If I'm going to practice over and over maybe a non diamond file might be as good?

CrystalSky

Reaction score
Sorry for hijacking the thread

What is the best masking tape to do fretwork? And in which sizes you guys usually get it?

Also what polishing compounds you use? Or is 8000 grit sandpaper enough to get them shiny?

Never done it, but the time has come. Frets are evo gold.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Fuck. As I was really straightening up the neck on my guitars a lot more fret problems started showing up. Well none of them cost over 800€ new so maybe it's to be expected? So, full level it is.
A bit worried about the crowning, or sanding off too much while leveling. I guess I'll buy the Stewmac Z File, I'm not sure..I've read it can be tricky to use well.
I have two +10 year old guitars that cost 100€ that I can practice on and if I ruin them it's no big deal. Hopefully it'll be enough to get the hang of it...
I was thinking on these cheap guitars I could individually file the frets a little and crown them over and over until I feel like I have a better crowning technique.
So Z file or no Z file? If I'm going to practice over and over maybe a non diamond file might be as good?
After using the Fret Guru I can recommend that, but the Z file is supposed to be a legit professional tool so you probably can't go wrong with it either.
Sorry for hijacking the thread

What is the best masking tape to do fretwork? And in which sizes you guys usually get it?

Also what polishing compounds you use? Or is 8000 grit sandpaper enough to get them shiny?

Never done it, but the time has come. Frets are evo gold.
Just regular 3m white masking tape works great. I get 1" tape and overlap or cut it as necessary. Flitz metal polish works great but so does 8000 grit sandpaper, the sandpaper just take more work compared to using metal polish with a dremel.

tedtan

Reaction score
I don’t know how easily/cheaply you can get these in the EU, but they are getting a lot praise lately. (I just ordered one, but haven’t used it yet, so can’t comment on it from experience).

Music Nomad S File

CrystalSky

Reaction score
After using the Fret Guru I can recommend that, but the Z file is supposed to be a legit professional tool so you probably can't go wrong with it either.

Just regular 3m white masking tape works great. I get 1" tape and overlap or cut it as necessary. Flitz metal polish works great but so does 8000 grit sandpaper, the sandpaper just take more work compared to using metal polish with a dremel.
Thanks. I want to stick to sandpaper, if possible, to make less mess.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
Yeah that's true, what about the polishing rubbers. Stewmac the whole pack is 60€ and that's too much. Hosco makes a more affordable pack but it goes from 150-1000 grit. What grit polishing rubbers do I need if I don't want to buy all of them?

I don’t know how easily/cheaply you can get these in the EU, but they are getting a lot praise lately. (I just ordered one, but haven’t used it yet, so can’t comment on it from experience).

Music Nomad S File

It's not in stock in Thomann right now, so that's a shame...

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
But it seems to make more of a pyramid shape fret rather than round? Are you using the original Z file?
After my experience with the Baroque file, I'm thinking files that bring the fret to a peak are preferable to files with cutting edges that are perfectly concave and round. The round cutting edge just kind of flattens the top and gives it a school bus shape. The Fret Guru file I have now is similar to the Z File in that it has a divot running through the center of the cutting surface so that it can't flatten the peak like that, I think that type of design is a lot easier to use in the end. If you file so that you make the peak as slim as possible, it appears round by the time you're done sanding and polishing.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
But it seems to make more of a pyramid shape fret rather than round? Are you using the original Z file?

The whole point of crowing is to shape the top dead center of the fret to a fine thin line to better improve intonation. After years of using a traditional crowning file, I can tell you that intonation is to a finer degree of precision with the original Z File than with a traditional. It’s only crowning the upper profile of the Fretwire to do so, whereas a traditional crowning file may remove more material than necessary from the sides of the fret. With wear, you want to retain as thin a line as possible for that intonation. With a traditionally crowned Fretwire, the upper profile may be flatter after wear, and shift that intonation point towards the side of the fret. The Z can correct that, even on a traditionally crowned fret prior. Subsequent levels on a Z filed neck require less Fretwire material to be removed than from a traditionally crowned one.

LeftOurEyes

Reaction score

Highest grit steel wool you can find is what always worked easiest for me. Just put tape over your pickups first while leveling and polishing because you will get some small pieces flake off and stick to the magnets on the pickups otherwise.

CrystalSky

Reaction score
Highest grit steel wool you can find is what always worked easiest for me. Just put tape over your pickups first while leveling and polishing because you will get some small pieces flake off and stick to the magnets on the pickups otherwise.
That is the reason I want to avoid steel wool too haha

I want the cleanest way possible

LeftOurEyes

Reaction score
That is the reason I want to avoid steel wool too haha

I want the cleanest way possible

There is gonna be metal shavings if you fret level or crown anyway so you still need to tape the pickups up for that and the steel wool barely adds anymore mess to what's already there so I wouldnt exactly say it's not clean but whatever works for you.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Yeah you're going to make a mess no matter what. You can see how much tape I used last time I leveled my frets in the pictures I posted, and I still ended up with a bunch of shavings stuck to my pickups. It wasn't a big deal to clean them off, but you're going to get metal shavings everywhere any time you do this.

pahulkster

Reaction score
Just got the Music Nomad safe crowning file in but haven't tried it out yet. Well made and looks like a nice tool. They do say it's for nickel silver frets only though.

AwakenTheSkies

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a regular 3 corner file from the hardware store and practicing on the cheapos until I get it right. Crowning I mean. Is this a bad idea? Seems like a valuable skill to learn, they say it gives you more control too.

CleansingCarnage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a regular 3 corner file from the hardware store and practicing on the cheapos until I get it right. Crowning I mean. Is this a bad idea? Seems like a valuable skill to learn, they say it gives you more control too.
I'm sure there are many, many professional luthiers and guitar techs out there who use regular triangle files. Only thin you might want to think about is grinding down one of the corners to make it a safe edge so you don't have to worry about harming the fretboard.

Asdrael

Green and Blue stuff.
Reaction score
You honestly overthink it.

Get one decent tool (whatever it is: Z file, 3 corner, whatever) and give it a shot. As long as you mark the top of the fret and know when to stop, crowning is hard to mess up. Just be careful when sanding afterwards that you don't sand over the top too much and too early (personally I don't touch the top of the fret until I am at like P800+ and then I stay very even).

Leveling is a tad more technical because it's easier than you think to rock the beam, angle it or just not put the light homogeneous pressure it needs.