Top 3 favorite guitarists?

• Thread starter UniverseOfTheMind8
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

QuantumCybin

Lost In Thought
Reaction score
Alex Lifeson
David Gilmour
For a third, more modern guitarist I'd say Misha or Aaron Marshall...depends on the day

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MrBouleDeBowling

Reaction score
Dave Brownsound - Because he's the reason I wanted to learn guitar when I was 11

John Galagher - For being a mean riff machine while doing the most demonic grunts ever

Ryan Knight - Because Arsis/The Black Daliah Murder

Stuck_in_a_dream

Reaction score
Three is just impossible, but aside from (legendary) guitarists other people have mentioned, here are the less obvious ones that had a great influence on me, in that order:

1. Scott Henderson: Either w/ Chick Corea, Tribal Tech or solo, he's a monster.

2. Al Di Meola: His solo albums from 70s or 2000s are simply amazing, and not just for the technique.

3. Joscho Stephan: Like Django? This guy will blow you away.

[EDIT] added videos :D

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
Billy Howerdel (A Perfect Circle), Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth), René Rutten (The Gathering).

It varies. Sometimes I like Soilwork's or Karnivool's guitar lines better, but these three are solid candidates for my personal favorites at any given day, I think.

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
He was for sure a great multi-instrumentalist, but as a guitarist he was just an average funk guitarist.

I would prefer Jesse Johnson of The Time in this genre:

But both might have their roots in Hamilton Bohannon's style:

[youtuBevid]6dWGeOGSO9A[/MEDIA]

I love Jesse's guitar work very much and do consider him as someone who got me interested in guitar. However, Prince could run circles around Jesse when it came to guitar playing. Both guys were influenced by Hendrix (thus why Jimi was number 2 on my list) and you can hear Jimi's influence in each player. The difference between the two...Prince had way more range in his playing whereas Johnson is more of a blues/blues-rock player. 'Bare My Naked Soul' showcased Johnson's edgier side of guitar playing but even then, much of his playing was based around the blues scale. Was it good? To me, it was but compare that to any of Prince's guitar performances (the Super Bowl especially), it's like night and day.

Aymara

Reaction score
... compare that to any of Prince's guitar performances (the Super Bowl especially), it's like night and day.

When I saw Prince live in the late 80ies, I was more fascinated by his skills as a multi-instrumentalist than his guitar play.

Maybe my comparison between Prince and Jesse is inspired too much by the fact, that I was always more a fan of The Time than of Prince.

Dodeejeroo

Reaction score
So many, so I'll just list the ones that made me want to pick up a guitar as a kid.

Kevin Cadogan (3EB is still one of my favorites)
Jade Puget (Black Sails was a MONSTROUS guitar album, great riffs)
John Frusciante (can't fight his grooves man)

MistaSnowman

Play It LOUD!!!
Reaction score
Maybe my comparison between Prince and Jesse is inspired too much by the fact, that I was always more a fan of The Time than of Prince.

While Prince's bands were good to great, The Time was straight ridiculous when performing live. Often times, The Time outperformed Prince to the point where Prince would tell them of what songs NOT to play on The Time's setlist. Those orders went in one ear and out the other as The Time would play their setlist as they intended.

Fathand

Tube Snake Boogie
Reaction score
1. Hetfield - I wouldn't play guitar without this mutton chopped, low slung Explorer playing "Yeaaaah" -guy with the hardest riffs ever.

2. Dimebag - Just recently realized how much of his pentatonic based natural/artificial harmonic squealy chugga squealy riffage has been imprinted into my playing without me even noticing it

3. It's a split between John Maclaughlin, Allan Holdsworth and Greg Howe - I could name a million fusion/jazz players that have gotten me into wild improvisation stuff and honing my theory skills, but these are the three I listen to most and always go back to.

Honourable mentions for different purposes go to: Yngwie, Shawn Lane, Billy Gibbons, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Rory Gallagher and Al Di Meola

MoonJelly

a subtle stinging sensation..
Reaction score
Paul Gilbert
frontpage2.jpg

Claudio Sanchez
l6nxjt6.jpg

Ian Thornley
BigWreck_2012_2_1.jpg

They may not be the typical picks, but I relate to them, their individual styles are something I gravitate to over and over.

TWaldo666

Reaction score
Super late to the party, but for me in no particular order

Top 3 that got me wanting to play
Synyster Gates
Jim Root
John 5

Favorite all time players alongside those top 3:
Django, devy, Bill Kelliher, Brent Hinds, Brad Paisley, Zakk Wylde, BB King, Joe Bonamasa, Adam Jones, Frank Gambale, the list goes on and on