Top Speed?

• Thread starter Konfyouzd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Good chops, damn video mics causing horrid tones but you can live with those :)

i know. that's why i usually hate those youtube tone tests. a lot of the guitars sound almost exactly the same through video mics and computer speakers. :(

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
Aye, I think that until you upload a video of your own onto YouTube then you don't hear the impact the recording process really has. If I ever get the chance I'll either go direct into my soundcard and into Overloud or DI it and run into a simple VST. Hopefully :lol:

Anyway! More on topic:

Really enjoying the guys from here posting videos up - would love to see more :)

Maniacal

Reaction score
Am I the only person who thinks that playing was messy and was also no where near 280 bpm?

These are the sort of videos that just make me laugh at the end of the day.
Set the click to 233000 bpm and just make some noise. Success!

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
the click was definitely 280 but I did think the playing wasn't up to speed and was a little sloppy.

TonalArchitect

Augmented Chords!
Reaction score
I also thought that the playing was sloppy, but since the response was so positive, I thought that maybe it was the camera mic screwing with me.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
i dunno... i'm not the cleanest player in the world nor am i that fast. plus i was giving him the benefit of the doubt considering he was using stock ibby pups and the mic may not be the best in the world. :shrug:

Reece Fullwood

Guitar Gymnast
Reaction score
This is getting really serious now, i think playing guitar in general (not just speed) is a personal thing everyone does it there own way, no one likes to be laughed at or told there sloppy or shit, or there technique is bad, it does play on the mind. We are all guitarists, all playing fast. so why does everyone pick at everyone.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
to be fair if you claim to be able to play at 280bpm you have to be prepared to show that you actually can play at that speed :shrug:

ShadyDavey

7ibrarian
Reaction score
to be fair if you claim to be able to play at 280bpm you have to be prepared to show that you actually can play at that speed :shrug:

Aye, picking at 280 is on the upper limit of speed so it needs to be satisfied in a manner like which I associate other players of that calibre. I'm not going to knock anyone who makes the attempt and posts a video of themselves doing it, but of course the faster you get, the more critical people become.

Human nature I guess.

haffner1

Reaction score
I know I don't have room to talk- I have right hand nerve damage so I can only pick about max 220bpm (16ths). I doubt it will ever improve beyond that. I was injured in the army and the muscles in my upper forarm were basically non-functional for over a month. It was never quite the same after.

Maniacal

Reaction score
I dont see this thread as a negative thing. If you claim to be able to do something but cant, you are just lying. I think the guy who started this thread was genuinely interested in seeing what other guitarists are capable of, so why make it up?

I joined the Ultimate Guitar forum a few days ago and I could not believe the number of bitter/lying people on there. The worst thing that could happen to this forum is to get the same kind of responses in threads.

I totally believe someone could play at 280bpm+, but to actually do it cleanly, with good timing and tone is a totally different matter. I havent seen anyone pick properly past 270.

And yes, people become far more critical as you get to the higher levels, but thats apparent for everything in life.

TonalArchitect

Augmented Chords!
Reaction score
This is getting really serious now, i think playing guitar in general (not just speed) is a personal thing everyone does it there own way, no one likes to be laughed at or told there sloppy or shit, or there technique is bad, it does play on the mind. We are all guitarists, all playing fast. so why does everyone pick at everyone.

There's a difference though between just attacking someone and critiquing their flaws. We're not saying he should be flogged and have his instruments thrown in a wood chipper for not playing as cleanly as we think he should. But he claimed to play at 280 BPM, it wasn't terrifically clean nor did it seem quite at the proper tempo, both of which are prerequisites for claiming to play (well) at a certain speed.

y8c616

Reaction score
the click was definitely 280 but I did think the playing wasn't up to speed and was a little sloppy.
Il be the first to admit that i was playing a little sloppy in that vid;
not to sound like i'm making excuses, but playing excersises to the metronome for hours on end is something i've not done in a while, being more into learning songs and writing my own stuff at the moment.
Back when i did practice that lick intensively, i could get to 240 and be totally accurate; going to 280 was a little hit or miss, (as seen in the video, which was after a warm up and a couple of takes) unless i worked up to it over time with the click

Sean Babiniec

Reaction score
A few years ago (maybe more) I was BIG into shred. I was somewhere around 24-26 NPS (more or less I dont remember exactly) with sweeping and about 18-20 with alternate/economy picking I think. But then I started to get a bit bored with just focusing on speed. Plus I damaged some nerves in my left arm and had to have surgery. So after the surgery and physical therapy, I really backed off the speed a lot and worked on phrasing/vibrato and song writing.

If I did the math correctly (pretty sure I did), that is 16th notes at 390bpm.

26 notes/sec * 60sec/min / 4notes/beat = 390bpm 16th notes

damn...:scratch:

Nick

Reaction score
well i clocked myself picking 16ths at 190 today and i also bought maniacles book today!

so hopefully i'll hit my goal of 230 after a bit of time spent on it!

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
yep and 24 nps is 360 bpm 16th notes which I'll be honest, I don't believe at all.

to be honest 360 bpm 16th notes would sound like turd anyway, once it gets past 270/280 it ceases sounding cool and just sound ridiculous.

Nick

Reaction score
every notes not different just really basic 'riff' patterns like a lot of behemoth riffs.

iv pretty much hit a speed wall and i think its my shitty endurance and speed on really basic stuff thats holding me back in other areas.

Cadavuh

Bounce The ....
Reaction score
i pick odd but it works!!!! last time i checked i could play 8 notes per beat at 160bpm ish depending on how hot i am its bloody cold in britain most of the time!!!!

That "odd lick" in the second vid was sick!

Latest posts