TOTAL beginner Learning how to solo. HELP!!

• Thread starter vejichan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vejichan

Reaction score
Guess i should just continue the way i am composing solos. Just hit record and play which pretty much sounds like crap...below is a solo i made up when i started playing...hit record and play..total 1st take. I still approach soloing the same way...yea its bad...

Listen to ImissU by David Cho 2 on #SoundCloud

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Learning how to solo...total beginner. What are some excercises i can practice to be better at soloing.. fyi, i am primarily making country jazz classical pop music. So lets start with the key of C

- find all the c notes on each string on each fret
- c major chord is C, E, G ...along with the c note ...find all the E and G notes on each fret
- Find how many ways you can play the c Major Chord all over the neck.

Putting this knowledge to use. With a C major Progression...solo over C major Chord, F major Chord and G major Chord

- use C ionian mode which has the notes..C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C..use and arrange these notes and develop a melody when soloing over the C chord. Focus on the chord tones C, E, G notes when soloing over the C chord.

- use F Lydian mode which has the notes..F,G,A,B,C, D, E, F..use and arrange these notes and develop a melody when soloing over the F major chord. Focus on the chord tones F, A, C notes when soloing over the F chord.

- use G mixolydian mode which has the notes..G, A, B, C, D, E, F, G..use and arrange these notes and develop a melody when soloing over the G major chord. Focus on the chord tones G, B, D notes when soloing over the G chord.

Some important things to add when soloing
- use vibrato, bending, slides and legato etc in your solos

Thats basically all i know. Any simple useful tips, suggestion is welcome. Keep it simple and easy. Since i have almost no knowledge in theory and no talent.

Below is an instrumental song i made ...its just basically me messing around and hitting record. No i dont know what i am doing when i am playing guitar and recording. Hence my post because i would like to understand and improve and make better music.

Thanks for all your help and patience. With the excercises stated here i will focus on A minor and the G major/D minor next. Etc.

Listen to Paradise Is Lost RD15 by David Cho 2 on #SoundCloud
Learning how not to solo...total pro shredder. What are some excercises i can practice to be worse at soloing.. fyi, i am primarily making death metal orchestral EDM reggaeton music. So lets not start with the key of C

- DON'T find all the c notes on each string on each fret, find some groupies instead

- c major chord is C, E, G ...who the fuck cares

- DON'T Find how many ways you can play the c Major Chord all over the neck. There's too many, what a waste of time

Never putting this knowledge to use. With a C major Progression...play a Creed song

- use C ionian mode which has the notes..C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C..wait C ionian what???

- use F Lydian mode which has the notes..F for Fucking Awesome (which my shred skillz are)

- use G mixolydian mode which has the notes..G for great guitar player (which I am)

Some not important things to add when not soloing

- never use vibrato, bending, slides and legato etc in your solos

Thats basically only 1% of all i know. Any simple useful tips, suggestion is not welcome. No need to keep it simple and easy. Since i have almost perfect knowledge in theory and insane talent.

Below is the sickest fucking instrumental song you've ever heard which i made ...its just basically me messing around barely trying and hitting record. I absolutely know what i am doing when i am playing guitar and recording. Hence my post because i would like others to understand and improve and make better music...like me

You're welcome for my help and patience. With the excercises stated here you will focus on Awesome shredding and appearing on guitar magazine covers next. Etc.

Lemonbaby

Reaction score
Putting this knowledge to use. With a C major Progression...solo over C major Chord, F major Chord and G major Chord

- use C ionian mode which has the notes..C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C

- use F Lydian mode which has the notes..F,G,A,B,C, D, E, F

- use G mixolydian mode which has the notes..G, A, B, C, D, E, F, G
So you're trying to say: play C major over C major chords? :D

vejichan

Reaction score
Learning how to solo...total beginner. What are some excercises i can practice to be better at soloing.. fyi, i am primarily making country jazz classical pop music. So lets start with the key of C

- c major chord is C, E, G ...along with the c note ...find all the E and G notes on each fret

- use C ionian mode which has the notes..C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C..use and arrange these notes and develop a melody when soloing over the C chord. Focus on the chord tones C, E, G notes when soloing over the C chord.

- use F Lydian mode which has the notes..F,G,A,B,C, D, E, F..use and arrange these notes and develop a melody when soloing over the F major chord. Focus on the chord tones F, A, C notes when soloing over the F chord.

- use G mixolydian mode which has the notes..G, A, B, C, D, E, F, G..use and arrange these notes and develop a melody when soloing over the G major chord. Focus on the chord tones G, B, D notes when soloing over the G chord.

Thats basically all i know. Any simple useful tips, suggestion is welcome. Keep it simple and easy. Since i have almost no knowledge in theory and no talent.

Below is an instrumental song i made ...its just basically me messing around and hitting record. No i dont know what i am doing when i am playing guitar and recording. Hence my post because i would like to understand and improve and make better music.

Thanks for all your help and patience. With the excercises stated here i will focus on A minor and the G major/D minor next. Etc.

vejichan

Reaction score
Learning how not to solo...total pro shredder. What are some excercises i can practice to be worse at soloing.. fyi, i am primarily making death metal orchestral EDM reggaeton music. So lets not start with the key of C

- DON'T find all the c notes on each string on each fret, find some groupies instead

- c major chord is C, E, G ...who the fuck cares

- DON'T Find how many ways you can play the c Major Chord all over the neck. There's too many, what a waste of time

Never putting this knowledge to use. With a C major Progression...play a Creed song

- use C ionian mode which has the notes..C,D,E,F,G,A,B,C..wait C ionian what???

- use F Lydian mode which has the notes..F for Fucking Awesome (which my shred skillz are)

- use G mixolydian mode which has the notes..G for great guitar player (which I am)

Some not important things to add when not soloing

- never use vibrato, bending, slides and legato etc in your solos

Thats basically only 1% of all i know. Any simple useful tips, suggestion is not welcome. No need to keep it simple and easy. Since i have almost perfect knowledge in theory and insane talent.

Below is the sickest fucking instrumental song you've ever heard which i made ...its just basically me messing around barely trying and hitting record. I absolutely know what i am doing when i am playing guitar and recording. Hence my post because i would like others to understand and improve and make better music...like me

You're welcome for my help and patience. With the excercises stated here you will focus on Awesome shredding and appearing on guitar magazine covers next. Etc.

Whoman Bean

Pointy only.
Reaction score
Guess i should just continue the way i am composing solos. Just hit record and play which pretty much sounds like crap...below is a solo i made up when i started playing...hit record and play..total 1st take. I still approach soloing the same way...yea its bad...

Listen to ImissU by David Cho 2 on #SoundCloud

That's best solo ever written. No need for improvement. Case closed.

vejichan

Reaction score
That's best solo ever written. No need for improvement. Case closed.
you kidding right? its pretty bad..there was no melody.. i'm off key. it was just me guessing what to do next after every phrase. I would like to compose melodic solos that say something -- like this

crushingpetal

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Yer bit kinda sounds like this, so ur gud:

thorgan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I always teach improvisation this way, let me try and lay it out somewhat simply for you, it may be difficult over text:

-Don't worry about modes yet, you have to stay with shapes and patterns that you are familiar with in order to improvise effectively; for 99% of people learning to improvise this is the pentatonic scale. It's a blend of art and science, so if you attack way too much with the science of new modes, your lines are going to be incoherent and unmusical, you don't want to sound like you are just running scales.

-of the 7 chords and modes that make up a key, we are going to ignore the 7th mode (locrian) and chord (vii-7b5) because it is rarely used in BASIC functional harmony. This leaves us with 6 chords to negotiate.

-With this in mind, you need to know all 5 shapes of the pentatonic. You also need to understand that the pentatonic is not inherently "Major" or "minor" as people colloquially call the shapes, it includes both a Major and it's relative minor triad, so A minor pentatonic is also C Major pentatonic, and vice versa.

-Let's dig in to why the pentatonic is useful, in your first post you outlined the modes, all modes can be simply called a minor or Major scale with an alteration: Dorian is minor with #6, Phrygian is minor with b2, Aeolian is a standard minor. If we look at the degrees of the pentatonic relative to it's minor root, it includes the root, minor 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, and minor 7th. You can see that the two notes we've omitted compared to a standard minor scale are the 2nd and 6th: the notes which are altered among the minor modes. The same happens with the Major modes: Ionian is a standard major, Lydian is a Major with #4, Mixolydian is a Major with a b7. The Pentatonic relative to it's Major root is root, 2nd, Major 3rd, perfect 5th, and 6th. The 4 and 7, which are altered amongst the modes are not included. This is why the pentatonic is so useful, regardless of mode, a minor pentatonic scale will include the chord tones and no wrong notes for a minor chord, and the same with Major chords; regardless of what minor (ii, iii, or vi) or Major (I, IV, or V) you're dealing with.

-So now we know that we're going to use the associated pentatonic of the right type (Major or minor) with the associated chord in the key: C Major, D minor, E minor, F Major, G Major, and A minor. A minor chord gets a minor pentatonic, a Major chord gets a Major pentatonic, easy enough right? Not exactly groundbreaking. But look again, C Major (I) and A minor (vi) are relatives, and so the same pentatonic scale. The same is true between F Major (IV) and D minor (ii), and G Major (V) and E minor (iii). Remember what I said about the scales not being inherently Major or minor. So now we've condensed it to only needing 3 pentatonic scales to negotiate the entire key: the Tonic (I/vi), Subdominant (IV/ii), and Dominant (V/iii).

-Here is where it gets fun. Let's chart out these scales:

C Major/A minor Pentatonic: C D E G A
F Major/D minor Pentatonic: F G A C D
G Major/E minor Pentatonic: G A B D E

-Look at the differences between these scales, they're differences of a single note, and a half step at that. On guitar where the scales are strongly pattern based, people have a tendency to restart the shape every time they want to move say from an A minor to a D minor, moving their pentatonic shape from the 5th fret E string all the way to the 10th fret E string. But if you look at the differences, you can effortlessly switch between them just by moving the E note one fret up to the F note. This is how you effectively build lines that weave into the chord changes, by targeting the half steps between chord tones. Remember that this works between C Major and F Major, C Major and D minor, A minor and F major, or A minor and D minor, it's all a product of the Tonic to Subdominant pentatonic scale. E is a chord tone in both C Major and A minor, while F is a chord tone in both F Major and D minor.

-The beauty of this is that switching the half step on the guitar is going to physically switch you into the right pentatonic shape for the new chord. Let's say we had a basic I-IV-V in C Major, and you began with the E string Major shape pentatonic (shape 2) on the 8th fret. When the change to F major comes, just hit the half step of E to F on the 9th to 10th fret of the G string, and you're now in the F A string Major shape pentatonic (shape 5) in the same register. More importantly, you were able to keep a melodic or thematic line going, instead of wholesale moving your shape to the 13th fret of the E string. When the change from F Major to G Major is coming, rather than slide your shape around clumsily, just hit the half step down from C to B on the 8th fret to the 7th fret of the high E, and you're now into the A string minor shape pentatonic (shape 4) in the same register. On the return to C Major you just do the opposite, move up from B to C on the 7th to 8th fret of the high E, or on the 9th to 10th fret of the

Diatonic Improv 101 Pentatonics.png

This is the graphic I made to help visualize it, hope this helps!

vejichan

Reaction score
I always teach improvisation this way, let me try and lay it out somewhat simply for you, it may be difficult over text:

-Don't worry about modes yet, you have to stay with shapes and patterns that you are familiar with in order to improvise effectively; for 99% of people learning to improvise this is the pentatonic scale. It's a blend of art and science, so if you attack way too much with the science of new modes, your lines are going to be incoherent and unmusical, you don't want to sound like you are just running scales.

-of the 7 chords and modes that make up a key, we are going to ignore the 7th mode (locrian) and chord (vii-7b5) because it is rarely used in BASIC functional harmony. This leaves us with 6 chords to negotiate.

-With this in mind, you need to know all 5 shapes of the pentatonic. You also need to understand that the pentatonic is not inherently "Major" or "minor" as people colloquially call the shapes, it includes both a Major and it's relative minor triad, so A minor pentatonic is also C Major pentatonic, and vice versa.

-Let's dig in to why the pentatonic is useful, in your first post you outlined the modes, all modes can be simply called a minor or Major scale with an alteration: Dorian is minor with #6, Phrygian is minor with b2, Aeolian is a standard minor. If we look at the degrees of the pentatonic relative to it's minor root, it includes the root, minor 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, and minor 7th. You can see that the two notes we've omitted compared to a standard minor scale are the 2nd and 6th: the notes which are altered among the minor modes. The same happens with the Major modes: Ionian is a standard major, Lydian is a Major with #4, Mixolydian is a Major with a b7. The Pentatonic relative to it's Major root is root, 2nd, Major 3rd, perfect 5th, and 6th. The 4 and 7, which are altered amongst the modes are not included. This is why the pentatonic is so useful, regardless of mode, a minor pentatonic scale will include the chord tones and no wrong notes for a minor chord, and the same with Major chords; regardless of what minor (ii, iii, or vi) or Major (I, IV, or V) you're dealing with.

-So now we know that we're going to use the associated pentatonic of the right type (Major or minor) with the associated chord in the key: C Major, D minor, E minor, F Major, G Major, and A minor. A minor chord gets a minor pentatonic, a Major chord gets a Major pentatonic, easy enough right? Not exactly groundbreaking. But look again, C Major (I) and A minor (vi) are relatives, and so the same pentatonic scale. The same is true between F Major (IV) and D minor (ii), and G Major (V) and E minor (iii). Remember what I said about the scales not being inherently Major or minor. So now we've condensed it to only needing 3 pentatonic scales to negotiate the entire key: the Tonic (I/vi), Subdominant (IV/ii), and Dominant (V/iii).

-Here is where it gets fun. Let's chart out these scales:

C Major/A minor Pentatonic: C D E G A
F Major/D minor Pentatonic: F G A C D
G Major/E minor Pentatonic: G A B D E

-Look at the differences between these scales, they're differences of a single note, and a half step at that. On guitar where the scales are strongly pattern based, people have a tendency to restart the shape every time they want to move say from an A minor to a D minor, moving their pentatonic shape from the 5th fret E string all the way to the 10th fret E string. But if you look at the differences, you can effortlessly switch between them just by moving the E note one fret up to the F note. This is how you effectively build lines that weave into the chord changes, by targeting the half steps between chord tones. Remember that this works between C Major and F Major, C Major and D minor, A minor and F major, or A minor and D minor, it's all a product of the Tonic to Subdominant pentatonic scale. E is a chord tone in both C Major and A minor, while F is a chord tone in both F Major and D minor.

-The beauty of this is that switching the half step on the guitar is going to physically switch you into the right pentatonic shape for the new chord. Let's say we had a basic I-IV-V in C Major, and you began with the E string Major shape pentatonic (shape 2) on the 8th fret. When the change to F major comes, just hit the half step of E to F on the 9th to 10th fret of the G string, and you're now in the F A string Major shape pentatonic (shape 5) in the same register. More importantly, you were able to keep a melodic or thematic line going, instead of wholesale moving your shape to the 13th fret of the E string. When the change from F Major to G Major is coming, rather than slide your shape around clumsily, just hit the half step down from C to B on the 8th fret to the 7th fret of the high E, and you're now into the A string minor shape pentatonic (shape 4) in the same register. On the return to C Major you just do the opposite, move up from B to C on the 7th to 8th fret of the high E, or on the 9th to 10th fret of the

View attachment 138050

This is the graphic I made to help visualize it, hope this helps!
Thanks.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
Idk man, so many people get riled up, but I just sit back and enjoy watching these vejithreads unfold. :lol:

Latest posts