Traditional strat trems...

• Thread starter distressed_romeo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

distressed_romeo

F'king ............
Forum MVP
Reaction score
My brother is currently talking about selling me his old Mexican strat that hasn't seen much playing time since he got his Jaguar, so last night he brought it into my room for me to screw with, and I tried out the whammy bar on it (that hadn't been screwed in once since he brought the thing about three years ago) and tried adding some Beck-style ornamentation and slurs to my blues/fusion licks. Honestly, I was blown away by how smooth the traditional whammy felt compared to the floyds on my own whammy equipped guitars, and how good the tuning stability was, even with the pretty old strings that were on the guitar. I'm seriously tempted to take him up on his offer (£250 + a monkey) now, as it's a great playing and sounding guitar in addition to that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jongpil Yun

Contributor
Reaction score
Honestly, I was blown away by how smooth the traditional whammy felt compared to the floyds on my own whammy equipped guitars, and how good the tuning stability was, even with the pretty old strings that were on the guitar.

Eh, not to be a killjoy here, but even though I put this graphite crap on my nut and saddles, the high E string still goes 30-40 cents flat all the time. Then again my high E tuner is a little bit broken, but just my 2c. I don't know how much locking tuners would help since I've never had one. Do they make locking nuts for a Strat?

And where are you gonna get a monkey? I'd take it for 250 GBP, but monkeys are expensive :nono:

HamBungler

Lord Zorgatron
Reaction score
Yeah, locking tuners + a roller or graphtech trem nut and roller string trees will make that thing stable as hell.

eleven59

None shall pass.
Contributor
Reaction score
If it's already stable, don't fuck with it :lol: Don't change anything until you start having problems, and then change things to improve on the issues you're having with it. If it's already stable, awesome. I always found that my G-string would pop way out of tune way too easily for some reason (sticking in the nut I think, and didn't feel like putting a Graphtech or rolling nut on a Squier :lol: ), but clearly some people have really well set up Strats and get great results from them.

But yeah, worst case scenario = locking tuners and rolling/Graphtech nut.