Tre Watson - Song from the new album![7321, metal foundry, outdoing myself]

• Thread starter TreWatson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitarguru777

Banned
Reaction score
Its a little better but still needs more bottom

What are your lowest frequencies on the bass guitars and kick drum? If you dont know you can throw a frequency analyzer on it to look. Also bringing the bass up in the mix isnt a fix for the issue. Its a frequency thing, the bass and kick just lack some of the required low end to make the mix have a solid foundation.

Try getting the bottom of the kick to sit between 70 and 80hz and get the sub frequencies ont he bass around 90 and the main bass tone between 160 and 190. That should add some bottom end :)

ddtonfire

Reaction score
I personally didn't really care for the guitar tone, but I would like to know what you were using for them. You've got some sweet djenty stuff in there, it'll be face-punching with a more upfront bass!

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
I personally didn't really care for the guitar tone, but I would like to know what you were using for them. You've got some sweet djenty stuff in there, it'll be face-punching with a more upfront bass!
the bottom of the kick is in between 60-80, the bass is at 90-120, and everything else follows suit.

I don't like a shit ton of low end because it muddies up the mix in my opinion. most things below 50 HZ just add rumble and mud anyway.

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
Studio monitors :)

The lack of low end is the only thing hurting this mix. Bring the bass guitar up in the 80 and 160 hz range by about 1 or 2 DB that should do it. Bring the kick to its sub peak is at 70hz
when i raise the bass it sounds farty and disgusting. but i did it.

and I've done exactly what you said to the kick and IMO it sounds like shit, but eh, it's whatever. it's too bassy and has none of the impact it used to have. like, any time it has fast kick flutters, the compressor just KILLS it completely,

not complaining or anything, but i'm getting a little frustrated.

well, here it is:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4840052/pluto 5.mp3

and again with the volume lowered because i'm worried the kick is obnoxiously loud:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/4840052/pluto 6.mp3
:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash:

currently in that "why haven't i quit" mindset... maybe i need to take a break.

Slampop

Artist/Producer: IDOLER
Reaction score
:) yea dude, it's a really clean and audible mix, and i "do" dig it...maybe the sound is a little flat and lifeless overall...but me kinda thinks it works for the track, does that make sense? :scratch:

...has there been an attempt to master this? :cool:

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
nope, i leave the master bus empty on all my tracks because i admit i know nothing about mastering well.

guitarguru777

Banned
Reaction score
the compressor just KILLS it completely,

Then the compression is set incorrectly ;)

But the new mix sounds great!

Are you using compression on the bass guitars? Cause the bass guitars are really pumping, in addition do you have any distortion on the bass guitars?

As for the frustration we all get to that point, believe me. But dont quit, it gets better every single time :)

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
new version coming in a bit. compressed the bass, lowered the attack on the kick compressor

Joeywilson

Banned
Reaction score
I'm listening throught normal computer speakers.

If your happy with it dude, who cares what anyone says. If you don't think the guitars need more low end then dont put in more low end.

guitarguru777

Banned
Reaction score
Metalli ...

Its not the guitars I am talking about its the overall mix that is lacking low end.

There is a difference between Bass Guitar and Low end.

When I say boost the low end I dont mean turn up the bass guitar. I mean add some low end to the bass tone and kick tone possibly toms as well.

Its the OVERALL low end of the mix

JamesM

The Armada
Reaction score
The last mix before "ULTIMATE" sounded very good on my NS-10s. :)