Trem Spring Slip

youheardme

Feelin' Groovy
Reaction score
So I recently did some work on my RG2570 and installed a tremel-no and Crunch lab/liquifier/true velvet. I already have tremel no's installed on a few of my other guitars so I didn't have any trouble getting it installed etc. The only thing i'm worried about on this particular guitar is...

Tremel no installation. Looks good
Tremelno.jpg

When I do dive bombs and my springs are slack they are slipping out of their holes. This particular pic shows after I was wailing on it for awhile. They haven't popped out yet but that's the last thing i'd want to happen during a show.
SpringSlip.jpg

Normally the trems have a retainer bar to hold the springs in place for just such an issue. But as you can see with the tremel no installed it's a no go. I've had no need for the retainer bar on my other guitars with tremel-no's.
Retainer.jpg

And also just for some eye candy here's a picture of the 2570 with the new pickups installed.
Newpickups.jpg

So if anyone has any tips on how to construct a half retainer bar or something? Or a workaround to avoid one of these flyin out while i'm doin some jumping and or high kicks that would be awesome.

- J

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
If the springs are slipping I would wager that you have too many springs in there, so they are not stretched enough. As long as the spring is stretched it won't be able to slip out, but if they are not then they can slide out easily (or be pushed out by a pull up).

Looking at the picture that finally loaded, those springs aren't stretched at all, that is the problem. I have never seena 'spring retainer bar'

youheardme

Feelin' Groovy
Reaction score
I suppose I could run the trem with one less spring?
not sure if i'll be able to screw in far enough to compensate for the extra tension needed with just 2.

edsped

Reaction score
If the springs are slipping I would wager that you have too many springs in there, so they are not stretched enough. As long as the spring is stretched it won't be able to slip out, but if they are not then they can slide out easily (or be pushed out by a pull up).

Looking at the picture that finally loaded, those springs aren't stretched at all, that is the problem. I have never seena 'spring retainer bar'
Don't like all Ibanez trems come with a retainer bar?

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
You might have installed the block the wrong way? I don't know if you took it out recently and put it back in but sometimes the slots for the spring ends are angled so they'll stay in almost definitely - have them in the wrong way and they'll fly out without a doubt (that rhymes, I'm awesome).

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
A lot of Ibanez have the retainer bar, yes, I don't think the zero's do.

I've noticed this on every Ibanez I've owned, they never actually come all the way out though. What I did, however, was get a new set of springs and bent the hook end (as opposed to the loop end) so that it was at a higher angle and it held iself really snugly in, and never came out. Unfortunately putting it under more tension won't make any difference.

By the way, I'd straighten that spring out, you'll have a very slight uneven pull on one side of the bridge and I hate that. Either have them all straight, or both the side ones at and angle so it's symmetrical. I have seen an instance where someone pushed down on the bar and the bass side where there was more tension fell into the body off the knife edges. It was pretty random, but either way...

CrushingAnvil

Ironically enough, now in Jesus Land
Reaction score
A lot of Ibanez have the retainer bar, yes, I don't think the zero's do.

I've noticed this on every Ibanez I've owned, they never actually come all the way out though. What I did, however, was get a new set of springs and bent the hook end (as opposed to the loop end) so that it was at a higher angle and it held iself really snugly in, and never came out. Unfortunately putting it under more tension won't make any difference.

By the way, I'd straighten that spring out, you'll have a very slight uneven pull on one side of the bridge and I hate that. Either have them all straight, or both the side ones at and angle so it's symmetrical. I have seen an instance where someone pushed down on the bar and the bass side where there was more tension fell into the body off the knife edges. It was pretty random, but either way...

This. Can you fill us in, OP? Usually people hook the top spring down one hook if they use a dropped tuning AFAIK.

youheardme

Feelin' Groovy
Reaction score
Before I put in the tremel-no I had 2 springs on an angle and the middle one straight. I was just trying to keep them as near to the same as I could to keep the same amount of tension on the trem to avoid adjustments.

I can pop that one off and place it straight tho. Also I was just thinking this particular tremel-no is a clamp type...compared to the pin type of the others I have. I should in theory just be able to put on the retainer bar and then put the clap overtop of that. It should have enough room to grab the block securely even with the retainer bar underneath.