Trick For Getting This Keyboard Sound?

• Thread starter Wings of Obsidian
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys:

I am trying to get this sparkly, cavernous piano/keyboard sound that you hear in the ambient part if this song at the end. It kicks in at 3:55.

I know alot of electronica/house artists and ambient artists have used a piano/keyboard sound like this before. (I just currently can't think of any other songs at the moment other than this one by BMTH.)

Not sure what exactly I am looking at here. Reverb, delay, compression maybe?

Anyone know how to achieve that sound in-studio and what settings I need? How to mix it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sear

Reaction score
It's probably just a stock patch that ships with any decent keyboard. Heard it too many times for it to not be generic.

Reaction score
It's probably just a stock patch that ships with any decent keyboard. Heard it too many times for it to not be generic.

Not sure man. I don't think it is a stock patch on keyboards... I got a pretty high end Yamaha and high end Korg, and I'm not hearing anything like it on either after cycling through all the patches. It's got to be a patch on a VST plug-in or MIDI instrument.

It is common though, like you said. So it might be a patch that a lot of plug-ins have modeled in their banks. I'm cycling through all my plug-ins and clicking around in them, trying to find something like this that I could maybe tweak.

HoKrll

Reaction score
Omnisphere definitely has something like that. There are a few pianos heavy on the delay and reverb.
One patch I really like sounds like, I guess water droplets, or something crystal clear like that. Has close to that ambient sound you are referring to.

fwd0120

Bipedal Hominid
Reaction score
Yeah, just a piano patch with a low pass filter. Then some long delay and reverb. You need to modulate the LPF. Ableton Live has a ton of sounds like that, but you can do it with any freeware.

Latest posts