Tried an LTD H308

• Thread starter DoubleAA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DoubleAA

Reaction score
When I picked up my RG8, I was kind of debating between the Ibby and some of the LTD offerings. I've had some ESP/LTD stuff before and have always been really impressed with the quality for the money.

Anyway, I was at the local GC and they had exactly one 8 string on display, and LTD H-308. I checked it out, just to torture myself if I made the wrong call. Well, I don't think I did, for me anyway.

The LTD is waaay prettier, to be sure, with better bits and pieces, but I think that Ibanez really nailed the important stuff. The LTD neck seemed kind of cramped to me. I think the little bit of extra scale length helps in spacing everything out a bit so it's more manageable. It's a nice feeling neck, don't get me wrong, and being neck-through is awesome, but the RG8 seems more playable, even if you have to work a little harder or reach a little more for some things.

Also, dropped E wasn't even kind of happening on the stock strings.

The EMGs sounded like EMGs, so that's a matter of opinion. Honestly, the guitar sounded fine, but it didn't have the "holy crap, this is like a whole new instrument" vibe that I got when I picked up the RG8 for the first time. It might be a good move for someone who really wants a seamless transition to 8 without having to change their style much. For me, I wanted the 8 to be kind of a springboard into all new territory. I think the RG8 does that better. The LTD just felt like a guitar that someone threw a couple extra strings on.

Obviously, YMMV, but I think the RG8 was the better call. The baritone scale ESPs might be a whole different story, though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck

Reaction score
I really loved the feel of the H308 when I played one awhile back. Certainly feels more sturdy than the RG8. I didn't like the scale of the LTD though, for F# standard that is. It would be an excellent guitar for tuning say A-D-G-C-F-A-D-G or something

stuglue

Reaction score
the scale length is the reason that i got the 208, ESP don't do a lefty 308 plus i don't like EMG pickups so they'd have been wasted anyway.
hopefully when i get the guitar back from my luthier i'll be able to tune up to high A.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Actually I'm sort of glad that there are at least a few shorter scale 8's out there for those with manlet hands like myself

Kristianx510

Reaction score
My first 8 string was a 208, and the scale length really helped with my tiny hands haha. I'm pretty torn between a 308 or Iron Label 8 string for my next guitar.

Wyvern Claw

Reaction score
A friend of mine who is currently the temporary co-guitarist in my band has an H-308. As I mentioned just now in a different thread, I have a Carvin DC800 and I was actually extremely impressed with the LTD. The scale didn't make as much of a massive difference as I'd have thought, and it held drop E just fine with the stock strings and felt about the same as the tension on my 27" Carvin, even though I think the LTD actually came with even thinner strings than that on the Carvin... I have no idea how that works, but somehow that's how it wound up. Aside from that, it looks a bit plain, but better than some other guitars in the price rang; it certainly has some very nice touches, like the binding on the body and such. All things considered, I'm not sure I'd have taken an RG8 over it if I were in the market for a budget 8 string, but everyone will certainly have varying opinions on what they like and what works best for them.