True Temperament Frets?

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I find this incredible, and I'm going to order a neck pretty soon myself...

But check this out... :eek::eek::eek:

1242329478-Wierdboard.jpg

It looks like it would play the same. He's just got the frets diagonal such that they go from one fret to the next as they go from one string to the next. I can't think of any advantage, other than HUGE bends with little effort. But I would think you'd be getting some serious buzzing due to the acute angle of the strings over the frets.

The real question is where the Hell does Huf find all these strange guitars??:lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skeletor88

The Devil
Reaction score
It looks like it would play the same. He's just got the frets diagonal such that they go from one fret to the next as they go from one string to the next. I can't think of any advantage, other than HUGE bends with little effort. But I would think you'd be getting some serious buzzing due to the acute angle of the strings over the frets.

The real question is where the Hell does Huf find all these strange guitars??:lol:

I think its even scarier that its an older dude playing it, not just some 17 year old kid that wants something 'fucked up looking'.

i'd say that older guy has some insane wisdom and django chops....just me??? lol

TomasO

Reaction score
is it just me or do these TT frets look some some kid rolled up some silver silly putty and stuck them to a fretboard?

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
if they could make a true temperament fretboard for a 30" scale 8 string in drop E tuning, i´d love to hear that :D

ayways, i think one of the problems with these things is that like the earvana nut, you can really hear if the other guitarist isn´t using one, because it sounds slightly out of tune all the time.

and i don´t see the need for these things really, since the human ear doesn´t distinguish that well anyways. i´m not after "perfection", i´m after AWESOME NOISES AND SHIT. if i wanted a "perfect" sounding guitar, i´d program it with MIDI.

i can see how true temperament would be awesome in the studio though, for playing nice chords and stuff, where it sounds bad if it´s out of tune even the least bit.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
My biggest problem is, once you get this, you'll be out of tune with every other guitarist unless they go out and get this done to their guitar as well:lol::nuts:

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Well its been 48 hours since I have send a mail to them and I still did not receive any reply :)

Kinda turns me off especially when you consider the prices involved, a little effort on the customer services communication would be appreciated.......

Lets see how long it takes until they reply :)

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
The necks are Warmoth Pro Constuction Strat necks with TT's own headstock shape, shipped to them unslotted.

While I was at Warmoth, they sent us one to put on one of our office strats, and while I was skeptical at first sight, concerned that bending a note would not feel natural and transition in pitch without some weird effects, I was pleasantly surprised at how unfounded my concern was.

The don't feel any different that a regularly fretted neck. Playing chords all the way up the neck is dead accurate, even when comparing those notes against a piano for reference. In fact, the intonation comparison while playing with keys is so close, it's almost unnatural because of how used to innacurate intonation up the neck has become. Bending feels natural, I could see why Vai would want a couple, especially for recording.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
yeah, i can see how it could come in handy when played alongside other instruments, like pianos or entire orchestras.

i would like to see the true temperament frets idea taken a bit further though, with machine-shaped frets instead of the nasty-looking warbly ones that were shaped by hand. anyone remember the company that makes those frets with the bend in them for the G string? those look properly made, and not all warbly.

i´d love to see the idea made affordable too, through mass production and stuff. and they need to make them for bass as well. if the idea were to catch on, it would be even more affordable. the problem now is that someone with a TT neck will make anyone else sound like out-of-tune shit in comparison, and so it´ll be hard to find bandmates. if it were easy and affordable, maybe more people would have them.

hufschmid

Banned
Reaction score
Well its been 48 hours since I have send a mail to them and I still did not receive any reply :)

Kinda turns me off especially when you consider the prices involved, a little effort on the customer services communication would be appreciated.......

Lets see how long it takes until they reply :)

:ninja:

they eventually contacted me today and apoligized for the time it took....

Durero

prototyping...
Contributor
Reaction score
Well just for contrast I can say that I've had fantastic service with the Buzz Feiten company. When I ordered their installation package I got an international long distance call from them just to check in with me and make sure I was happy with everything and understood their stuff and knew who to call if I had any questions. :yesway:

I have a classical and an electric with their system installed and I'll never go back. Even simple major and minor chords sound just gorgeous everywhere on the neck.

http://www.buzzfeiten.com/index.htm