True temperament Seven string?

wangmauler

Reaction score
Anyone know of any True temperament Seven string guitars without being a custom shop guitar (i.e., not $4000)?

Currently my main guitar is a Peavey EVH Wolfie ST, had it 12 years, still sounds excellent(new pickups multiple times). However, I'd really like to move to Seven String, also need true temperament. I'll bite the bullet and get a custom one made if needed, but I've never owned a 7 string before, only played one a few times(and loved it).

In case anyone wants to combat why I'd want true temperament, I do a lot of complex chord mixing, odd octave harmonies and displacement, so proper pitch is a must for me at this point in my music endeavors. kthxttylg2gbye

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BearOnGuitar

Reaction score
I called True Temperament in Sweden and they told me that replacing the fretboard with a TT fretboard is no problem for them, even if the fretboard is bound. You could have them retrofit any non custom guitar. Keep in mind TT only offers their frets for certain scale lengths.

Xaios

Foolish Mortal
Contributor
Reaction score
The only production model 7 I'm aware of that has TT frets is Per Nilsson's Strandberg signature, and even those run about $4k USD. I don't think what you're looking for exists. The suggestion above is probably the most cost-effective: have True Temperament retrofit a production 7 with TT frets.

ovlott

Reaction score
Dont want to Hijack the thread or anything, but approximately how much would it cost to do the fretboard swap on a 6 string?

RoyceIsNotMyName

Reaction score
Mayones makes true temperament fretted guitars. I haven't seen 7 strings of it (yet) but I'm sure somebody's had them made. They can be pricey, but if you're as willing as you say you are to spend, go for it.

wangmauler

Reaction score
Alright, thanks a lot for the replies guys. Probably gonna have mayones build me a custom this coming year. I'm sure they will accommodate what I'm looking for :)

Overtone

Reaction score
They show a retrofit strat or tele neck on their site for about 800 bucks. I've noticed that The TT Applehorn costs a similar amount more than the regular Applehorn. So expect an up charge of about that much to get them on a custom. Same goes for sending them s neck I would guess, but I bet you could find out.
A TT Mayones would be sweet though!
Or you could say .... it and get the Apple Horn 8!

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Sorry to hijack slightly, but I'm n00b in this, would true temperament 7 string then need true temperament bass and other 7 string in 5 piece to be played with? Or just two 7 strings as bass is in different register?
Would the frets be in different curvatures if the guitar was being set up for a different tuning from standard?

wangmauler

Reaction score
"would true temperament 7 string then need true temperament bass and other 7 string in 5 piece"

is that a sentence? I don't understand what you are asking at all.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
"would true temperament 7 string then need true temperament bass and other 7 string in 5 piece"

is that a sentence? I don't understand what you are asking at all.

Would the other instruments all need to be true temperament, or just the other guitar?

Overtone

Reaction score
You mean you haven't heard of other 7 string in 5 piece before?!
(Edit: Ok, he means a 5 piece band with two guitars and a bass).

Anyway, no.. you don't need all instruments to be TT, although it would probably be awesome if you did have that. And as I recall the frets are optimized for a specific tuning, yes. But you should really check their website on that one...

fps

Kit
Reaction score
You mean you haven't heard of other 7 string in 5 piece before?!

Anyway, no.. you don't need all instruments to be TT, although it would probably be awesome if you did have that. And as I recall the frets are optimized for a specific tuning, yes. But you should really check their website on that one...

Cool, thanks, very interesting subject. And a potentially epic NGD :hbang:

wangmauler

Reaction score
ahh i see. Yeah Overtone is right. However, even without TT, all instruments are technically optimized for a specific tuning as well. Just TT does it a lot better :)

Now to the drawing board for what I want Mayones to build me this coming year. I'll make a separate thread for that.

Cloudy

Pacific Wood Lab
Reaction score
I remember seeing a price list on their US website a long time ago.

Not sure if the prices are accurate now but it was well above 700~$ to have TT installed. Definitely not cheap.

Overtone

Reaction score
TT being based in Sweden is probably a big part of that.

Does anyone know if they offer, or plan to offer SS frets? I was kind of waiting for that and then maybe I'll take the plunge on one or two of my guitars.

axiomIII

48 frets, 11 strings
Reaction score
what type of frets are used for true temp? and how are they attached?

what do they do to the fret wire if it is not special.

stevexc

Reaction score
what type of frets are used for true temp? and how are they attached?

what do they do to the fret wire if it is not special.

Try not to necrobump old threads.

To answer your question, they use custom-cast silicon bronze and attach them more-or-less the same way as normal frets.

The frets aren't special because of the material or method of attachment, it's the design of them that does it. Each string is given different fret spacings based off the specific notes and string gauge used (within limits, so your low E can be tuned more-or-less anywhere from D to E with a .046 to a .050 with varying levels of success), and that varies highly from string to string. So it winds up being a "crooked" looking fret.

truetemperament.jpg

In theory you could do it yourself, but the time and effort spent a) shaping or casting the frets, b) figuring out the measurements for each fret, c) cutting the new fret routes, and d) getting them attached is a lot more than simply getting TT to do it for you.

axiomIII

48 frets, 11 strings
Reaction score
Try not to necrobump old threads.

In theory you could do it yourself, but the time and effort spent a) shaping or casting the frets, b) figuring out the measurements for each fret, c) cutting the new fret routes, and d) getting them attached is a lot more than simply getting TT to do it for you.

but do they cut the fret slots or is there another way of attaching the tang, is it a normal, if crocked tang?

CapnForsaggio

Cap'n (general)
Reaction score
I believe that they employ CNC technology to slot for the frets. They may also use CNC technology to bend the fret wire.

When supplying luthiers, they will send out prepared fretboards usually IIRC.

Latest posts