Truss rod loose on my Siggery

• Thread starter gujukal
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gujukal

Reaction score
Hi! Bought a Siggery 7-string a few month back on ebay and though it's quite a nice guitar the truss rod gets loose if you're not tightening it enough and you can hear the thing raddle inside the neck. It might not sound like a problem but the tone gets weird when the truss rod is loose. When i tighten it there's too much of a back bow causing some buzz on the lower frets. I could probably get thicker strings to get more tension and less back bow, but is there any other solution?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Knarbens

Montag Custom Guitars
Reaction score
If it's a two way truss rod you can try to adjust it the other way. Only tighten the truss rod slightly until the nut doesn't feel loose anymore.

If neither of these adjustments is able to silence the rod there's a chance to stop the rattle by filling the truss rod slot with thinned silicone.

gujukal

Reaction score
If it's a two way truss rod you can try to adjust it the other way. Only tighten the truss rod slightly until the nut doesn't feel loose anymore.

If neither of these adjustments is able to silence the rod there's a chance to stop the rattle by filling the truss rod slot with thinned silicone.

I'm not sure its a two way since you only can get a slight up bow before the truss rod gets loose. I'll try some silicone, it was acutally something like that on it when i got it, but when i tried to adjust the truss rod it came off.

Knarbens

Montag Custom Guitars
Reaction score
It may have been some wax or something covering the adjustment bolt. If the truss rod is one way, will it only bee adjustable in one direction?

Yes. A one way truss rod can only compensate the string pull. A two way rod can be set up for back or up bow.

Wax or silicone on the adjustment bolt won't fix anything. Is your guitar a bolt-on?

gujukal

Reaction score
Yes. A one way truss rod can only compensate the string pull. A two way rod can be set up for back or up bow.

Wax or silicone on the adjustment bolt won't fix anything. Is your guitar a bolt-on?

Yes, a bolt on.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if If was one way. When you loosen it, and then turn it a little more, does it not start to tighten up? There will definitely be a period of slack when it gets passive.

If you can’t fix it, and want to sell it, just call it a “tone rod,” and add $500 to the price.

Knarbens

Montag Custom Guitars
Reaction score
I’d be surprised if If was one way.

Yeah. Me too.

Yes, a bolt on.

If all else fails you could drill a hole from the bottom of the neck heel to the TR slot and insert some thinned silicone. Maybe you know a guitar tech or luthier who can do that for you. Here's a video. The guy is using thinned titebond though.

gujukal

Reaction score
I’d be surprised if If was one way. When you loosen it, and then turn it a little more, does it not start to tighten up? There will definitely be a period of slack when it gets passive.

If you can’t fix it, and want to sell it, just call it a “tone rod,” and add $500 to the price.

For some reason it feels a lot stiffer now when i try turn counter clockwise so it seems to work better now.

Haha thats a good tip. Truss rod problems on Siggery guitars seems to be quite common, seen a few used ones for sale that had broken truss rods.