Trying to work on Guitar tone (Axe-FX)

• Thread starter Kryaxysa
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kryaxysa

Reaction score
I've been trying to work on my guitar tone by using a demo of a song my band is working on. However, I always feel like it comes out a lot thinner and less clear than I think it should be. I thought it had to do with a lack of a solid low end so I've worked on that a lot, but I feel like it has just made my guitars have even less clarity. Let me know what you think of this mix and how I can improve on the guitars. It's the Diezel amp model on the axe-fx standard.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23873874/TheDistance2.mp3

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

niffnoff

Just another SunBro
Reaction score
Your low end will be mainly from the Kick and the Bass respectively. Let them be your rumble, you get clarity from your high end, give your guitar some low mids but not muddy, just a little bit, notch out some fizz frequencies. And tweak again from there.

Sang-Drax

Reaction score
I actually think there's a lot of potential in there. I very much like the guitar tone, though maybe the bass is little too twangy.

Song melodies are good as well. I like it :yesway:

Kryaxysa

Reaction score
Your low end will be mainly from the Kick and the Bass respectively. Let them be your rumble, you get clarity from your high end, give your guitar some low mids but not muddy, just a little bit, notch out some fizz frequencies. And tweak again from there.

I know most of my low end should be from the bass and kick, however when i compare the EQs of similar guitar tones they still have more low end. Although I guess it depends on the mix and I can't just take the EQ curve of a guitar from a completely different mix.

I actually think there's a lot of potential in there. I very much like the guitar tone, though maybe the bass is little too twangy.

Song melodies are good as well. I like it :yesway:

I just feel like the guitar tone has a lot of extra fizz that I can't get rid of without reducing the clarity of the guitars. and the bass is twangy on purpose, I actually wanted it a little more twangy haha.

Here's an updated mix:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23873874/TheDistance3.mp3

Oh, and my band is called Still Searching, the link is in my sig. We're recording with Nathan Hook (TDWP, For Today, Miss May I, It Prevails) starting later tonight so I'm trying to demo every song of the EP and work on my own mixes at the same time.

hellraizer84

Reaction score