Tube amps - blown fuse?

Witcheschair

Reaction score
I have a 6505 plus and the other night I turn it on but no noise comes out of the cab, used new chords so that eliminates that. So could it be a blown power fuse? Or something else

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ZeroTolerance

Reaction score
Well, I think the only way to be sure is to check the fuse! :rolleyes:

McBonez

Banned
Reaction score
Have you tested the cables on other equipment?

Just because they're new doesn't mean they're functional.

Are the tubes lighting up as they should?

Checked your speaker connections in your cab?

What testing have you done to ensure that it's NOT the cab?

Anything when you plug into the effects send?

Could be a bunch of things.

Is there any hiss or crackle when you turn up the volume post amp volume? How about the preamp volume?

Witcheschair

Reaction score
i have used the my own equipment and 2 other guitar players equipment. it is the amp head. the tubes light up. but the 2 left tubes, the tip of them only glow which is very weird. but they function

McBonez

Banned
Reaction score
Alright well, when people ask you questions about what's going on, you should answer them so we can try to help :D

So, re-read and answer those questions of mine!

Example : If you can bypass the amps preamp by plugging into the effects send and get output, well then you've isolated the problem to your preamp section.

Make sense? Spouting off a bunch of symptoms won't help us help you unless you go and try these things, my friend :)

jsl2h90

Reaction score
If it turns on it's not the fuse.
kinda what i was thinking. If you're not comfortable with cracking open your amp, look into local amp techs. I had an issue with blown tubes a few weeks ago and got all fixed up in about 2 weeks from Jason Moore of Mooresound amps, great guy and excellent quality of work. Not sure of your options in Vancouver but its worth a shot for peace of mind's sake.

Witcheschair

Reaction score
Alright well, when people ask you questions about what's going on, you should answer them so we can try to help :D

So, re-read and answer those questions of mine!

Example : If you can bypass the amps preamp by plugging into the effects send and get output, well then you've isolated the problem to your preamp section.

Make sense? Spouting off a bunch of symptoms won't help us help you unless you go and try these things, my friend :)

Sorry about being hasty, This is all really new to me. I tried bypassing, and I do get a signal. As well as a signal in my footswitch. So does that mean it is the preamp tubes that have the problem?

McBonez

Banned
Reaction score
Well (to me) that narrows your problem down to the preamp section.

Doesn't necessarily mean it's the tubes, but it's a good place to start looking.

McBonez

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry about being hasty, This is all really new to me. I tried bypassing, and I do get a signal. As well as a signal in my footswitch. So does that mean it is the preamp tubes that have the problem?

Well, to me it says that you've successfully isolated the problem to the preamp.

You get sound and such when plugging directly into the effects send, right? Because what you're doing now is skipping the preamp section and going right to power amp.

Grab a new preamp tube, and move down the line CAREFULLY and slowly and try replacing each preamp tube to see if you can restore your missing sound.

Destructionuponusguitar

Destructionguitarist
Reaction score
my other guitar player had the same problem with his 6505+... the thing was , when he went to turn his amp from standby to on, i was looking throught the back of it and i saw one of the tubes flash blue and it did actually blow a fuse but not the power fuse. It blue one of the 4 other fuses that you can see when you take the amp apart. what caused it was a faulty tube socket, so when you turn your amp completely on, see if a tube flashes blue... Trust me, you'll see it, because it looks like someones welding inside of the tube

InsomniacFC

Reaction score
my other guitar player had the same problem with his 6505+... the thing was , when he went to turn his amp from standby to on, i was looking throught the back of it and i saw one of the tubes flash blue and it did actually blow a fuse but not the power fuse. It blue one of the 4 other fuses that you can see when you take the amp apart. what caused it was a faulty tube socket, so when you turn your amp completely on, see if a tube flashes blue... Trust me, you'll see it, because it looks like someones welding inside of the tube

I had the same thing happen to me when I first bought my 5150. Ended up taking the amp apart and found a few blown fuses on the board. Put some new ones in, fired it up, and was good as new.

Witcheschair

Reaction score

well that seemed to work, As it turns out it was a faulty tube. Which sucks cause that alone was a $90 fix. Also, my other guitar players amp which is also a 6505+ JUST blew some tubes right before my tube went, how badly does it damage everything else if you keep playing the amp with crapped out fuses? He does NOT play the amp. I am just curious, what gets affected by it?

Thanks for all the help guys

McBonez

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I'm no electrician...

Oh wait, yes I am.

Simple as this - If the fuses are doing their job, the circuit will remain open and the amp won't operate.

If current is still making it's way through with a blown fuse (not likely... at all) then there's potential for some pretty serious damage, seeing as the fuses job is to blow before too much voltage gets from point A to point B.

Also - Was it a faulty TUBE or faulty tube SOCKET?

Latest posts