Tubes to brighten up a Peavey 6505

• Thread starter Synllip
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Necky379

Reaction score
Budda’s right, 5150’s can get unpleasantly bright with bright settings. If you had all jj’s in the preamp section it would make sense to blame the tubes because they’re dark, but you don’t. There’s a lot of ways to get it brighter without throwing money at it. Start with the 666 setting on the eq, resonance on like 3.5 presence on 7.5, you said you’re using the lead channel so gain on 3. Hopefully you’re using something as a boost, turn that tone knob up a bit more. Try that and just tweak from there. I’m not familiar with that cab or speakers but I’d imagine you’re going to end up adding a little bass because the resonance is set low and raising the treble to compensate if you raise the bass. If those speakers don’t have a lot of mids you have to crank the mids on the amp. It’s important to consider what your cab is doing to your sound. For example g12m’s I’ve got the mids dialed back a bit and resonance/presence up, g12t’s I crank the mids and pull back the resonance/presence knobs.

Synllip

Cyan
Reaction score
Budda’s right, 5150’s can get unpleasantly bright with bright settings. If you had all jj’s in the preamp section it would make sense to blame the tubes because they’re dark, but you don’t. There’s a lot of ways to get it brighter without throwing money at it. Start with the 666 setting on the eq, resonance on like 3.5 presence on 7.5, you said you’re using the lead channel so gain on 3. Hopefully you’re using something as a boost, turn that tone knob up a bit more. Try that and just tweak from there. I’m not familiar with that cab or speakers but I’d imagine you’re going to end up adding a little bass because the resonance is set low and raising the treble to compensate if you raise the bass. If those speakers don’t have a lot of mids you have to crank the mids on the amp. It’s important to consider what your cab is doing to your sound. For example g12m’s I’ve got the mids dialed back a bit and resonance/presence up, g12t’s I crank the mids and pull back the resonance/presence knobs.
Thanks, I do use a boost with the tone knob full but I put the gain on 1 and mids on 4. The cab is also very mid focused which I like. I'll have a check tomorrow and increase the presence a little more. I noticed it starts acting more after the presence knob is at 7.

ATRguitar91

Reaction score
With the 6505, I've always felt it only opens up once you get the resonance and presence past 6 or so, completely changes the character of the amp.

I run both around 8, I'd try that before swapping tubes.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KailM

Reaction score
With the 6505, I've always felt it only opens up once you get the resonance and presence past 6 or so, completely changes the character of the amp.

I run both around 8, I'd try that before swapping tubes.

+1. Though, I don’t run things quite that high.

All EQ at 7 ish, resonance at 6-7, gain at 3 boosted on the red channel. Presence at noon.

That should tear people’s faces off instantly.

gnoll

Reaction score
I haven't found a huge difference in brightness in preamp tubes among the ones I've heard except JJ's being dark. To me it's more of a change in character rather than brightness as such. I like Sovtek LPS and EHX personally.

Someone mentioned Sovtek WXT+ for power tubes though and I agree with that.

Presence does a lot as has been mentioned, I like mine at 8-9 or so usually. But I can understand if everybody doesn't like it that high.

Don't turn up the mids, it's a mid heavy amp already and turning them up even more makes it sound like a duck... and I don't think we need more of those kinds of tones around...

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
EHX are bright as hell. Too bright, IMO. I had some in my JSX, and it made that amp a harsh, bright, high end nightmare.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I haven't found a huge difference in brightness in preamp tubes among the ones I've heard except JJ's being dark. To me it's more of a change in character rather than brightness as such. I like Sovtek LPS and EHX personally.

Someone mentioned Sovtek WXT+ for power tubes though and I agree with that.

Presence does a lot as has been mentioned, I like mine at 8-9 or so usually. But I can understand if everybody doesn't like it that high.

Don't turn up the mids, it's a mid heavy amp already and turning them up even more makes it sound like a duck... and I don't think we need more of those kinds of tones around...

Did you eq with your head at the speaker when you dialled it in?

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I don't even know what that means :scratch:

What you hear at the speaker is the tone you're getting. When your cab is aimed at your legs and you're dialling in without hearing everything, you are way more likely to add too much high end.

Mics go at speaker level, not at head level.

gnoll

Reaction score
What you hear at the speaker is the tone you're getting. When your cab is aimed at your legs and you're dialling in without hearing everything, you are way more likely to add too much high end.

Mics go at speaker level, not at head level.

I know what it sounds like at different places around the cab and speakers. And I have recorded it.

If I don't play it with my head at the speaker, why should I dial it so it sounds good like that? I dial it so it sounds good for what I'm currently doing. And my presence settings happen to have been about the same regardless if I'm using my head or a mic. If some dude on a forum thinks that's too much high end I don't give a shit.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I never said you had to change a thing, I said what you hear at head level isnt the sound that is being heard by everyone else. Some people dont realize that.

If you recorded it and liked the results, perfect. Just know that excessive highs arent pleasant for the people at the front. Just because you dont hear it doesnt mean its not there. And if you've been running it that way for years, you wont even notice anymore.

Im nowhere near your rig, Im not getting ice picked at a show, Im not impacted. Just suggesting consideration for those who do hear it.

Signed,

Guaranteed louder than you anyway ;)

gnoll

Reaction score
I never said you had to change a thing, I said what you hear at head level isnt the sound that is being heard by everyone else. Some people dont realize that.

If you recorded it and liked the results, perfect. Just know that excessive highs arent pleasant for the people at the front. Just because you dont hear it doesnt mean its not there. And if you've been running it that way for years, you wont even notice anymore.

Im nowhere near your rig, Im not getting ice picked at a show, Im not impacted. Just suggesting consideration for those who do hear it.

Signed,

Guaranteed louder than you anyway ;)

Yeah sorry, it's just the advice was a bit unsolicited. I'm well aware it sounds different in front of the speaker. Of course you're right that that's a good thing to keep in mind.