Tuned my 8-string down 10 semitones and played it slower

• Thread starter Unjustly-Labeled
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
The sequel to my previous well visited thread here in recording studio!

I thought I would make a new thread for the full album I'm working on, getting feedback as I work on it. First track here:

https://soundcloud.com/unjustly-labeled/inescapable-terror

I'm thinking of fully embracing the sludgy/doomy influences heard on my EP for the full album, and I'm trying to get a meatier mix to compliment that kind of style. Tell me what you think!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Glad you like it! Haha, I always get so jittery before I post something. Thinking like "oh god, they're gonna hate it, maybe I shouldn't". :ugh:

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
I recently changed to a 10-60 sevenstring set with a 90 as the eighth (all ghs). Hard as .... to play, but better than the thinner set I used for my EP. :lol:

Edit:
Also, why is ss.org censoring words now? Is there even a 5 year old out there who hasn't heard or used the "f-word"?

Datura

Reaction score
I've listened to it several times now, the best thing I've heard posted on this forum.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
If you want more stuff like it, you can check out the free EP in my sig if you haven't! :cool:

HL7DS

Reaction score
so enjoyable!! thanks for posting this track man!!

not sure if also hear bass guitar in the mix; if it's there, what's its tuning?

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
so enjoyable!! thanks for posting this track man!!

not sure if also hear bass guitar in the mix; if it's there, what's its tuning?

The bass is one of the things I just kinda don't know what to do with right now. In this mix I sacrificed some of the bass real estate to allow the guitars to be more punchy (when compared to my EP where the bass is more of a focus). I'm still not sure how to get what I want to hear out of the guitars, while at the same time getting what I want out of the bass. It's currently tuned to the same octave as the guitars, since any lower than that would just not work with the bass I have.

callankirk

Reaction score
YES. ALL THE YES. Sounds BRUTAL. The 28.5" 7 that I just built is in Eb and this makes me want to just sludge the ....ing shit out of everything now!!! Vocals are killer with how they fit in with the feel of it. MOAR.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Haha, well, I intend to make a full album of this stuff, and I want to use this thread as a progress log kinda thing. Glad to hear my vocals praised by two people now! I was kinda worried about them since I only started doing vocals about a month or two ago. :lol:

flyboy463

Community Retard
Reaction score
Holy shit, I absolutely loved that. Can you please tell me how you recorded the vocals? I think they would fit in with an idea I'm thinking about.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Holy shit, I absolutely loved that. Can you please tell me how you recorded the vocals? I think they would fit in with an idea I'm thinking about.

Well, I don't know what to say about the vocals, so I'll go through as much as possible to cover the basics of what I did, you'll have to be more specific if you want to know more. I bought a cheap Shure PG48 mic, hooked it up to my M-audio fast track at a very low gain setting. Since I don't have a pop filter or anything like that, I had to compress and cut the track quite heavily (cutting out most sound after 5khz). I asked forum user DeKay for advice regarding some of the basics, he gave me the advice to try and keep the mic at around 10cm distance during recording and that worked very well for getting a smooth track. Not getting too bassy or too thin at that distance.

If you have any questions regarding technique, then you're out of luck! I barely know what the .... I'm doing myself! :lol:

Erockomania

Studio Geek
Reaction score
Nice work! Consider playing a bass at near standard tuning and just playing in unison or near. Sometimes they will compliment each other nicely! The scale length and the timbre of the bass will still make it punch thru and fill out the super low guitars.

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Nice work! Consider playing a bass at near standard tuning and just playing in unison or near. Sometimes they will compliment each other nicely! The scale length and the timbre of the bass will still make it punch thru and fill out the super low guitars.

What do you mean by standard tuning? It is tuned in unison with the guitars at the same octave. The five thickest strings on both instruments are G#0 C#1 G#1 C#2 F#2.

Adversor

El Borracho X
Reaction score
Crushing guitar sound and powerful growls. Congrats. The only advice I could give you is that you need a more serious name for your project but that's only my opinion, of course :D

Cheers!

revclay

Reaction score
I am not sure if a bass is needed in music like this. I think it sounds killer as it is. Your stuff has this really cool oppressive sort of vibe. This song in particular is really intense and the vocals fit perfectly. Your approach really reminds me of this awesome doom band called Primitive Man. You should check them out if you haven't heard of them. Scorn | Throatruiner Records

Unjustly-Labeled

Reaction score
Crushing guitar sound and powerful growls. Congrats. The only advice I could give you is that you need a more serious name for your project but that's only my opinion, of course :D

Cheers!

But it works on so many levels! My music will be unjustly labeled as djent, I have been unjustly labeled by society and my peers, my lyrics touch on mental disorders which have a social stigma associated with them combined with the ....ton of labels they slap on you if you have a brain which absorbs information differently from the norm. It just works!

I am not sure if a bass is needed in music like this. I think it sounds killer as it is. Your stuff has this really cool oppressive sort of vibe. This song in particular is really intense and the vocals fit perfectly. Your approach really reminds me of this awesome doom band called Primitive Man. You should check them out if you haven't heard of them. Scorn | Throatruiner Records

I have to be honest here, while I hear some similarities, and I think that stuff is pretty cool, I do have problems with listening to music as "directionless" as this. I really have to be in the right mood for it. Thanks for the tip though! I'll check em out more thoroughly when I get the urge to hear some dronier doomy stuff.