Tuning to B flat reccomendations...

• Thread starter Bloodbath Salt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloodbath Salt

Title-less
Reaction score
Sorry for another "guitar suggestion" thread. This post could fall under either "Standard," "Sevenstring," or "Extended Range" categories. I need suggestions on how I should tune to B flat standard tuning. I can't figure out which guitar to buy (some use sevenstring, baritone, or normal scale with thick strings). Any input will be greatly appriciated.

Also, I've been playing a 24.75" scale for a long time. I've got an $800 budget. I'm looking for a death metal guitar, not djent (if they're is a difference).

jeleopard

Reaction score
If you want a 7, get a 7, if you want a 6, get a 6, if you want a baritone, get a baritone.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've been playing in drop Bb on a 24.75" scale for a number of months now, and love the heck out of it. :agreed:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Handbanana

Reaction score
Uhh.......Its simple with a 7 string guitar. Theres not a difference between a "death metal" guitar or a "Djent" guitar. Those are just tone preferences. If you wanted to you could just use a 6 and get some thicker strings and drop that bitch. Id say go to the store and play around with a few guitars in your price range. But you dont need to buy a specific guitar for that particular tuning.

Jason_Clement

Reaction score
6 or 7? Either way it will be more hunting down the strings you mesh with then the guitar. I use a 64 for A. Some people use a 70 for B. It's all preference.

sear

Reaction score
Depends on what you want. The only real advantage of a 7-string is that it will be by default set up for lower tunings (due to the low B) and will have a greater available range. If you don't have problems setting up a guitar, don't care about losing the high E, and don't mind using thicker strings, you can use just about any old 6-string to play death metal (works for 95% of the bands out there).

That said, if you don't need 7 strings, I would recommend getting a baritone guitar with an extended scale of 26.5. You won't have to use extremely heavy strings on it (the major issue I have with downtuning) and you won't have to adjust to the larger neck and extra string.

MrPowers

Reaction score
If you're positive you want to play in Bb standard I would get a 7 or a Baritone. If you want to play in Drop Bb I would get a standard scale guitar.

But what it all comes down to is personal preference. I've played Drop Bb on a 7 string before (Tune low B down half a step and tune everything else up half a step). I would just try all of them out and see what you like.

Semichastny

Reaction score
I would recommend a 7-string as well, the range can be really useful even if you don't think you need it. I would also recommend an extended scale length of 26.5-27" unless your super adamant about staying at 24.75"

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I would recommend a 7-string as well, the range can be really useful even if you don't think you need it. I would also recommend an extended scale length of 26.5-27" unless your super adamant about staying at 24.75"

Ditto. Even if a 6, I'd definitely say Baritone.
Evidenced by Maxofmetal, there are plenty of people happy with tuning low on standard scales..but I don't like it.
First you need to question how tight you like your strings. If you like any more than a 47 or so in E then you're going to need something above 60 for Bb, and that quite simply doesn't sound very clear on short scales. It works for doom and stuff but if you're playing modern things I would say no.
Of course, there are PLENTY of bands recording modern stuff in low tunings and sounding great, but they are usually using a very thin string compared to the rest of the set. Periphery, tuning to G# with a 50 something for example. For some reason people seem to be happy with a floppy bottom string..I personally am not.

As this is an investment in an instrument, I suggest you do your own research.
Tell us what strings you like in the tuning you are using, and I will tell you what gauge you need for the same tension in Bb. You can get hold of said string and decide for yourself if it sounds muddy to you or not. If it does, then you'll be wanting a baritone guitar.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Periphery, tuning to G# with a 50 something for example. For some reason people seem to be happy with a floppy bottom string..I personally am not.

As this is an investment in an instrument, I suggest you do your own research.

I sometimes have my bottom string in Gsharp with my .56, can't believe Periphery do it as well haha I suddenly feel more justified. But I don't pick very hard when it's tuned like that. Meshuggah use very light strings too I know.

For Bb as EE says, if it's not doom or stoner tones you're after, probably need a 7 with something slightly heavier at the bottom, or a baritone but that's if you're not playing a lot lead, and there's the question of how to tune it- bottom 6 strings of a 7, or a regular guitar. According to the relative tensions of guitar strings we should really all be using skinny top heavy bottom sets anyway apparently.

EarlWellington

Reaction score
I have a Jim Root Tele in B flat and it plays fine... I don't even have really thick strings on it (12-56 I think). I'm not huge on big strings

Reaction score
Any given 7 string guitar should be able to handle being tuned a semitone flat.

Where I understand that there is a Djent aesthetic when it comes to guitars, I don't think that any guitar is genre specific. If Death Metal is in you then you'll play it on every guitar you pick up. That said, a sweet guitar is the Ibanez RGA7QM. The bridge may take some getting used to. For whatever reason I could really play fast Death Metal rhythms on it.

Reaction score
I had a PRS SE Custom 22 (with a 24.5" scale) strung up with D'addario 13-60 (Baritone set) and swapped out the 60 for a low 70. Kept that sucker in Drop-A# (or Drop B-flat) for a long time. Perfect tension.

I also had a PRS SE Mike Mushok baritone. Kept the same strings on it (13-60 D'addarios with the lowest swapped out for a 70) and kept it in standard B-flat (occasionally Drop-G#) and it was unbelievably smooth with brilliant action!

But it's like jeleopard said: if you want a 6, get a 6. If you want a 7, get a 7. If you want a baritone, get a baritone. It's all up to you and how much range you want and what your hands are comfortable with.